2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
My 2020 Mazda3 has this same annoying rattle. I have looked up under the glovebox and this is what I see. Am I right in thinking that the yellow hose is what needs to be secured and prevented from hitting something else? Where do I place the foam - is it up at the "other" end of the house i.e. as far as my fingers can reach? I guess I need to stuff it in so that there is no movement with the hose. Is that right? Any help / tips much appreciated!

View attachment 281488
That yellow tube is the wiring harness of the airbag. No, I don't think that's what people were referring to.

Between the two passenger air vents, there's a center vent. It appears fake at first sight, but if you look up into it, you see it has a small air outlet. There's a plastic tube (maybe an inch in diameter) going to it which is connected to the floor air ducts. I believe it's this tube that everyone is referring to.

The driver side has similar tubes going to the small air vents on either side of the steering column, though they do not appear to be prone to rattling.

·
Registered
641 Posts
My 2020 Mazda3 has this same annoying rattle. I have looked up under the glovebox and this is what I see. Am I right in thinking that the yellow hose is what needs to be secured and prevented from hitting something else? Where do I place the foam - is it up at the "other" end of the house i.e. as far as my fingers can reach? I guess I need to stuff it in so that there is no movement with the hose. Is that right? Any help / tips much appreciated!

View attachment 281488
I think you're instinct is correct. That foam is 100% there for a reason.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 2021 had the same issue. Took it to a dealer. Seems there is a TSB for it. "Tech was advised to loosen the passenger air bag, center it and tighten to 109" lbs". This has fixed my rattling problem. Will monitor and let you know if it comes back.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2021 had the same issue. Took it to a dealer. Seems there is a TSB for it. "Tech was advised to loosen the passenger air bag, center it and tighten to 109" lbs". This has fixed my rattling problem. Will monitor and let you know if it comes back.
Yes, please do let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
641 Posts

View attachment 281488
I think @discoburg had some success tightening those 4 nuts in this thread:

I wouldn't be surprised if that corrosion is part of the problem. The airbag manufacturers all say it's perfectly safe, but if I were a gambling man I'd wager that the corrosion exponentially increases the likelihood of those nuts coming loose.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone. I got a 2019 mazda 3 and im experiencing a plastic rattle in the passenger side. Near the glove box area. I have a video, as well as a picture that indicates where i put my fingers to stop the sound, i put my fingers near the glove box area with a little pressure and noise is gonzo, but as soon as i remove my finger its back to rattle town. Ive placed foam just about everywhere and i have no success, i added foam, i added these plush microfiber towels as well. Some stick on foam. No success.
Video:
ht

61 - 67 of 67 Posts