2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Banned
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Mazda 3 Gurus...
OK, I finally found the annoying dash rattle and got a little video of it. It happens when I drive over any road that is less than perfect, and yes it drives me nuts.
It occurs right under the top of the dash on the passenger side only. If I make a fist and lightly tap the top of the dash on the passenger side, I can recreate the annoying sound. It seems like right under that area it is "hollow" and some kind of wiring loom might be moving around.

A point of interest though is that if I press on the dash (in the hollow area) (see pic below) and tap on it again - the rattle is pretty much gone. I think that the top of the dash pad has to come out so something can be taped down. Anybody know what is directly under there?

I will take it to the dealer to have this sorted out but I wish I could remove the side panel on the dash to peek inside and see what is going on. Anybody know how to do this?

Here is the video:

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
Let us know what the tech says and if it can be fixed. No issues here but you never know if it will crop up.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Brilliant ... thank you!

This is the last (for now, and with luck forever) niggle we have with our 3 Sport GT/premium. "Clunk" from stop is gone (all four axle nuts re-torqued -- gone); false airbag malfunction warning fixed (TSB/recall/new module).

I will check this tomorrow using your 'tests', and see if I have the same 'rattle location'.

Will report further.

·
Super Moderator
721 Posts
How do you fix it? If it's a new car and under warranty, I would let the dealer touch it first. Take it in.

·
Super Moderator
6,121 Posts
Definitely a good suggestion. My only concern is where is the passenger air-bag? Don't want to poke around in the wrong place.
I was just thinking that since the cabin air filter is behind the glove box the sound may be something loose rattling around in that space. With the box out you at least might be able to take a look in there and see if there is a loose wiring connector or something flopping around where it should not be?

·
Registered
178 Posts
I will be taking it in next week for sure and will report back.
Quick note: I replicated your tests, with exactly the same results. We clearly have the same problem/source of this very irritating rattle. It does seem to be located 'up' under that right-side dash pad.

I'm going to try to get the car in for this later in the coming week. If you find the cause, please do let us know.

Cheers!

·
Banned
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update: took it to the dealer today and showed the technician the rattling sound by tapping on the dashboard. However, he said that he can only fix it if we take it for a test drive and hear the noise. He said Mazda won't pay for the repair by simply 'tapping' on the dash. No problem, we went for a test drive and he heard the annoying rattle. So it's now in for repair.

Make sure you are able to duplicate it while driving so the technician can hear it.

Will keep you posted on the results.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Update: took it to the dealer today and showed the technician the rattling sound by tapping on the dashboard. However, he said that he can only fix it if we take it for a test drive and hear the noise. He said Mazda won't pay for the repair by simply 'tapping' on the dash. No problem, we went for a test drive and he heard the annoying rattle. So it's now in for repair.

Make sure you are able to duplicate it while driving so the technician can hear it.

Will keep you posted on the results.
Thanks for the update on this. Please do let us know what the cause was, if possible.

Cheers!

·
Banned
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update: noise is completely gone. Solution: Remove glove box and secure loose tube (some kind of breather tube I guess). That was it.
No charge. Fixed under warranty.

World order has been restored.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Update: noise is completely gone. Solution: Remove glove box and secure loose tube (some kind of breather tube I guess). That was it.
No charge. Fixed under warranty.

World order has been restored.
Yep. Took car in today; dealer was not too busy so had the time to check this out on the spot. Result:

1. Tech took car out (w/o me) for road test, and immediately heard the rattle.
2. Tech did the same test as you (fist on top right dash panel) and replicated result. I did not tell him about this.
3. Removed glove box, and inspected both above glove box and elsewhere.
4. Appraisal: a lot of potential for metal/metal or metal/plastic contact in that area. Mostly well isolated but there were clearly areas where a rattle could result, especially around/below passenger airbag installation.
5. Solution: careful application of foam isolating tape and pads in several areas. Replace/re-secure glove box.
6. Result: silence and, as you said, 'world order restored'.

(For) now, car is perfect, with everything functioning as it should and a blissfully quiet/rattle-free ride. All this took just under an hour. I am very pleased.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts