2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 628 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Hello g-men.

My family owns M3 2017 2.0L Exclusive & M2 2016 1.5L Touring+ cars. M3 - belongs to my wife & M2 - to me personally. As a matter of fact I'm more addicted to M2 (naturally) & pay more attention to features which may be applied to it.

So, having read the entire 205 pages of this branch of forum I've made some observations regarding the "Auto Door Lock" question.

1. Having compared the files saved from different M2/CX3 cars almost all of the researchers didn't pay attention to the fact that enabling this feature can be made not only by bit set to 1, but also by bit set to 0(zero). What I'd like to pay attention at is b7 of B2 in block 720-02-01. All the cars lacking this feature can find it set to 1, while the only CX3 having this feature in reality has this bit set to 0(zero). Generally this observation could have led to some further research with good promising result. But I have objections to that kind of thinking also!

2. As per good maintained excel files we can see that in reality the both sheets for IC modules (IC & IC-M2/CX3) are identical, I could not find any noticeable difference in them. Therefore, looking for the bit enabling "Auto Door Lock" feature in IC module would lead to the fact that this feature enabler would be present there not only for M2/CX3 but for the other cars also. Which we all know already would be false! As all of us also know that for the other models enabler of this feature lives entirely in R-BCM module.

3. Now lets see the differences between their hardwares (M2/CX3 against M3/M6/CX5...).
According to the posts in this branch the main differences are only in 2 modules - BCMM (M2/CX3/MX5) & R-BCM (M3/M6/CX5...). Having that noticed let's take for granted that no other modules in the car are involved to the feature differences (otherwise the enablers of these features would affect to all Mazda models). If M2/CX3 lacks R-BCM module - we can also consider for granted that all the feature enablers should be present exclusively in the module which is substitute to it. Therefore the BCMM moudle should be the only one where the "Auto Door Lock" feature may be enabled. And I really suggest to make the same comparison between the cars having & lacking the necessary features in the code belonging to this module (as you did it to IC module differences before).

I personally will also take part in this research from tomorrow when I get the long awaited USB OBD2 adaptor (cause I had already bad experience with the bad clone which didn't operate with FORScan)

Reactions: Maverick_CX3

·
Registered
634 Posts
Regarding "Auto Door Lock" on M2/CX3. (In addition to my previous statement)

The only space where it's trigger may be present out of BCMM could be the range 720-04-29..53 of IC (which we know is absent in M3/M6/CX5). And that would be another range to pay attention at the differences between "Auto Door Lock activated/not activated" models

Reactions: wlsky

·
Registered
634 Posts
Successfully connected the new OBD2 adapter.
First impressioins: for M2/CX3/MX5 - no HS/MS switch is necessary, no modules are identified over MS-CAN in the car.

First (naturally) I've backed-up all available data from car's modules.

To get closer to M2/CX3 "ADL activation" question I've played a bit around the BCMM module values. In my 726-01-01-0812-3898-19 bytes I've tried some prepared before (based on your researches) combinations, like
-5012-3898-61, -A012-3898-B1, -1012-3898-21, -5012-5809-F2, -A012-5809-42, -1012-5809-B2.
All of them failed with "Incompatible configuration" window.

So, seeing that always to happen after my changing the first byte B0, I've let that byte to live & started changing the other bytes & bits, always applying the correctly calculated CS (due to your flawlessly developed & maintained excel file) at the end of the string.
Well, changing the other bytes & bits made no objections while recording them back to the module. The only stubborn remain the changes made in the first B0 byte & namely - the b7 bit. As soon as it gets 1 - we get the incompatibility.

Therefore, I've come to the logical conclusion that there's something restricting to record that block back to the unit if b7 bit of B0 byte isn't equal to zero.

Furthermore, if it isn't the harware restriction (by some kind of hardware switch for instance) then it has to be in some another software block. But, as we can see, in BCMM itself there's no chance to change anything more (affecting our target), then it has to be in the other module. IMHO the most suspected for me looks to be RCM (Restraint Control Module). And I'd rather check the differences in that module than in the other ones in order to find what is different between feature activated & not activated cars.

I'd wish also a happy research & success to all of you!

·
Registered
634 Posts
RCM manages airbags, BCM controls lights and locks.
I think BCM triggers door lock but main configuration is under IC.
According to Mazda docs, BCM learns configuration from IC.
Then we have to find the differences in IC. Or among the common blocks (for all Mazda models) or the special ones (in the range used only by M2/CX3/MX5). Cause in case of the common blocks - for M3/M6/Cx5.. they are already activated as we know, but for non-activated M2/CX3/MX5 those blocks will be different.
The real pity is that in reality we have only one activated M2 car to compare with on this forum.
My own pity is also the limited time to do something while connected to the car, cause keeping the car in "IGN On" mode drains the car's battery (considering that my daily mileage is short with short trips & frequent car starts, while the battery cannot be charged good enough during those trips). And the car dwells outside with no connection for external charging devices

·
Registered
634 Posts
Finally got my elm327 device.. But now waiting to get the forscan extended license. :(
It's not really necessary to wait for extended licence, it's generated at once immediately in the following page FORScan forum ? Login as soon as you enter your name, your international phone number & your equipment ID to the proper fields marked with a star & then press the "Generate" button under them. You get your test licence generated in the lower row, from where You can download it by pressing the "Download" field at the rightmost end of the string

·
Registered
634 Posts
Good idea.

I've just compared blocks between lines 28 and 53 from an USA CX3, one M2 with autodoorlock from a forum member (Dumphy I think) and my M2.

Only differences on 4 lines (32, 33, 34 and 35). I've searched for bits with same values on CX3 and first M2 and different on mine.

See this excel file with results of comparision https://mega.nz/#!tMExTZhb!zr3SydNsE3gVrIpSPMTEbcyo09LYhAvAwYcdEA1zGNA

By now I have no time to do real test on my car.
Lines 32, 33, 34 from your file I've tested today - no success.
For line 35 I couldn't manage it due to drained car battery

Reactions: rmaqui

·
Registered
634 Posts
No. I checked only & expected to for the menu to appear in CMU settings. The values were recorded flawlessly, but nothing new appeared in CMU menu (from where you can chose already the autolock behaviour). I had though some DTCs appearing for IC & PCM which were not easy to get rid off. Restoring the original config to IC finally helped

Reactions: rmaqui

·
Registered
634 Posts
Do You mean the "Reset" line in the "Door locks" menu page?

What I did exactly was:
1. Entered the new values to the string 32, then entered the corrected values to the string 720-04-01 & recorded them back ti IC module successfully.
2. Then restarted the IGN & checked them to be there in the new readings from IC in FORScan.
3. Then tried to change & record the line 726-01-01 - no chance to record with incompatible configuration.
4. Then tried to change the settings in the BCMM module menu page (the one w/out (AS BUILT format) - again incompatible configuration.
5. Restarted the IGN again & checked for anything to change in CMU menu - nothing new found.

With that procedure I checked the other 33 & 34 lines.

On my understanding it's not necessary to change values in the 726-01-01 string of BCMM, enough to try to choose the desirable option in BCMM (no AS BUILT) menu page & try to record it back to BCMM in order to find whether the autolock option has been de-blocked

·
Registered
634 Posts
Well, g-men, good day.

Today's experiments.

First of all I went to connect OBD to M3 2017 with maximum trim in Ukraine in order to activate ADL. Naturally, before changing anything I've saved data from all available modules there.
Then I opened module R_BCM (w/out AS BUILT) to see & try to apply changes from it's menu. In that menu I've found that the options stated "0=Not Adopted, 1=...". I tried to change to option 5 with "Lock-Out of P, Unlock in P", but recording it back to R_BCM ended up with the same "Incompatible configuration" statement. Only after that I've shifted to R_BCM (AS BUILT) module to change the values there manually. Having made it I've successfully activated the "Auto Door Lock" menu in CMU.
For any occassion I've backed all available data up from all modules again for further study on possible differences against the original ones.

Next, shifted to M2 2016 medium trim with LDWS.
There I've checked again the differences between ADL activated/not activated cars by trying to apply the presumable changes in the strings 32-33-34&35 one by one. After recording every of them back to BCMM made the reset in door lock menu of CMU, but nothing interesting happened. No magic! From BCMM (w/out AS BUILT) menu in FORScan I've tried also to choose any suitable line to activate any of ADL options - no chance!
But, the difference against the M3 is that in M2 BCMM menu there appears the option "0-Not equipped" instead of "0-Not Adopted" in M3. That might be a huge difference.

My next step will be to compare the differences between the data in original modules of M3 against the saved ones upon ADL activation for M3 in order to find out was there anything more that could have been changed

·
Registered
634 Posts
Regarding LDWS on M2.

My M2 is originally equipped with LDWS, but bit b5 of B0 in 720-04-19 line of M2 IC on my M2 is set to 0(zero), & bit b6 is originally set to 1.

I've tried to set the b5 & b7 to 1 as per excel file recommendation (to activate LKAS), & setting b6 to 0(zero) - it resulted to change the LDWS line in CMU menu to LKAS line. Everything recorded successfully back to the IC module, but I've ended up with incompatible configuration DTC error in IC module, which could be cleared out only by changing everything to original settings.
More than that, by having set only bit b5 to 1 & setting b6 & b7 to 0(zero) (which supposed to activate LDWS in CMU menu) the "Safety" menu in CMU remained empty. Only by changing b5 to 0(zero) & setting b6 to 1 has led the LDWS menu line to bring back.

So, as for me, there's a mistake between b5 & b6 in excel file regarding LDWS activation. Is there anyone else to check that?

I've compared later with my M3 setting (having LKAS & LDWS enabled) - it's different there, bits b5 & b7 are enabled & b6 - disabled

Reactions: bobstar_fr

·
Registered
634 Posts
Thanks, that is exactly where it makes a real difference with M3.
In M3 b7=1, b6=0 & b5=1 - LKAS & LDWS activated.

I've completed comparing the original & modified files saved from M3 - there's no other difference except in modified lines 7B7-01-01 & 7B7-01-02. Nothing more changed in R_BCM & other modules.
So, that really binds us to operate with BCMM & the part of IC module which is absent in M3.

It'd be nice to get more files of IC & BCMM from feature activated cars

·
Registered
634 Posts
IMHO it's very strange that there're no more changes anywhere for that featute in M3 except the 2 recorded to R_BCM lines. At least there should exist somewhere some similar to M2 lines with options changing. Tomorrow I'll try to change ADL option in M3 to different & to make a new files back up.

P.S. Having the M3 example we have to be looking most probably for 2 lines: 1 enabling the feature & the other with 2 bits - enabling the CMU menu indication

·
Registered
634 Posts
In M2 with ADL, There is BCMM 726-01-01 (B0) for ADL setup

B0: b7b6b5b4 - values

0000 - Not equipped
0001 - OFF
0010 - Lock*: When driving
0011 - Lock*: When driving / Unlock*: ING Off
0100 - Lock*: Shifting Out of Park
0101 - Lock*: Out of Park / Unlock*: In Park
1010 - Lock*: When driving / Unlock*: in Park
This is exactly what I wanted to catch in M3 files, since there also should exist the block & lines with similar menu (a little different though)

·
Registered
634 Posts
Found that difference for M3 & where it is!

Before enabling ADL in M3 was:
;Block 1
7B7010104500006A3BD
7B70102A50A03080883
7B70103003892109C
;Block 2
7B702010038109850F1

After enabling:
;Block 1
7B7010104D00006A33D
7B70102A50A0308209B
7B70103003892109C
;Block 2
7B702010038109850F1

After enabling & after changing the door lock/unlock option in CMU Door Lock menu:
;Block 1
7B7010104D00006A33D
7B70102A50A0308209B
7B70103003892109C
;Block 2
7B70201202810985001

which indicates that the similar to M2 menu in M3 is placed to 7B7-02-01 block

I've also compared the other modules but found no differences.
Well, now it's clearly understood that for M3 ADL no other modules are involved, absolutely everything is made only in R_BCM. This could be the basement for further researches for M2. But in M2 there are less blocks & lines in BCMM, which in reality may be compensated by additional lines in IC module

·
Registered
634 Posts
With that module You'll never succeed. You'd better try searching "Auto door lock" with R_BCM module which lives in MS-CAN

P.S. And present a similar picture from that module

Reactions: Hufnagel

·
Registered
634 Posts
The most probable mistake is that You've forgotten to correct also the value in 720-04-01 since it changes the check sum for entire 720-04 block after your changing in 720-04-16. Try that

·
Registered
634 Posts
It looks like our research on ADL for M2/CX3 ended up to the blind end.
As for me the main reason is that we have here only one person with ADL activated.

To keep the research moving I can think of only one direction - to ask DuyHuynh to assist us again. We were moving before from non-activated cars to activated one.
Now I'd kindly ask Mr.DuyHuynh to back again up a fresh copy of his IC & BCMM modules & then to try to move in non-activated cars direction - to enter into his 726-01-01 block our (not equipped) values 080A-5809-A2 & then to save IC & BCMM modules again. And then to present them us for investigation whether anything more has been changed in those modules. To check also if his CMU Door Lock menu has also disappeared & whether he gets the "Invalid configuration" the same as we did.
I admit also that it may be very risky for him.
At least first to try whether he gets the "Invalid configuration" while disactivating the feature or not.
Does anybody has any better suggestions?

·
Registered
634 Posts
This checksum is on 720-04-01 B0B1
Is it calculated like all checksums in AS-BUILT?
That question is mostly to Sergslim (I believe). He should know better

·
Registered
634 Posts
... SCBS-R is working now after I considered the necessary correction in 720-04-01. But there is no text/message displayed in the instrument as it is when SCBS-F is activated after breaking. Is that the expected behavior?
Difficult to say. The correct answer You can get only from owners who had this feature activated originally as I'm not the one

Reactions: Tristan-cx5

·
Registered
634 Posts
1. Is your CX3 file with ADL ON this one: CX-3.VIN_JM7DK4W7AH0123903 ?

2. Maybe the activation bit (s) of ADL are there (726-02-01), but where?
1. Unfortunately I don't really have that file. If You have it could You please share it (& BCMM file of that vehicle)? Or show references to them.

2. The most discouraging in that direction is the fact that the both available configurations of DuyHuynh's M2 with actvated ADL present zeros in those bits (except burglr alarm bit in one case)

1 - 20 of 628 Posts