2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Banned
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Yep. Took car in today; dealer was not too busy so had the time to check this out on the spot. Result:

1. Tech took car out (w/o me) for road test, and immediately heard the rattle.
2. Tech did the same test as you (fist on top right dash panel) and replicated result. I did not tell him about this.
3. Removed glove box, and inspected both above glove box and elsewhere.
4. Appraisal: a lot of potential for metal/metal or metal/plastic contact in that area. Mostly well isolated but there were clearly areas where a rattle could result, especially around/below passenger airbag installation.
5. Solution: careful application of foam isolating tape and pads in several areas. Replace/re-secure glove box.
6. Result: silence and, as you said, 'world order restored'.

(For) now, car is perfect, with everything functioning as it should and a blissfully quiet/rattle-free ride. All this took just under an hour. I am very pleased.
Nothing is quite as satisfying as finding the source of an annoying rattle and actually fixing it. Glad your car is quiet again.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Nothing is quite as satisfying as finding the source of an annoying rattle and actually fixing it. Glad your car is quiet again.
True, but its thanks to you for the initial reports.

I am very pleased to have discovered this forum and its helpful members. As I've mentioned, this our fifth '3' (well, first was the original Protege 5) in a row, but our first with a 'new gen first year' model. Of the three initial problems we've had, two (the 'clunk'; this rattle) have been resolved very quickly largely as a direct result of information posted here.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am very pleased to have discovered this forum and its helpful members.
This.

I don't even have a 2019 yet; I'm still waiting for it to be available here in Thailand (should be Q4). But I've been reading Mazda forums to keep up to date with all the potential issues so that when/if I do get this car I'll know exactly how to deal with all these issues. So thanks to all you guys for reporting the fixes! :laugh2:

·
Registered
11 Posts
This was absolutely priceless info. I have had the dash rattle since day one with my 19 premium hatch. I mentioned it to my dealer and they said that haven't had any complaints at all. I'll pay them another visit with the info from this forum and see if they will take care of it. Thanks again for the info.

·
Banned
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
This was absolutely priceless info. I have had the dash rattle since day one with my 19 premium hatch. I mentioned it to my dealer and they said that haven't had any complaints at all. I'll pay them another visit with the info from this forum and see if they will take care of it. Thanks again for the info.
Let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Update: so, the front right-side rattle -- fixed a week or so ago as I reported above -- is back with a vengeance. Even gently knocking the top right soft dash pad (over the passenger air bag location/glove box) creates an annoying set of rattles, as if everything is ready to fall apart.

We've just driven about 1800 kms (highway) out to our summer location, where the roads are rough at times. Took about three days for the rattle(s) to return, more irritating than ever.

Stuck with them until October (don't trust the local Mazda dealer/result of past experience) when we return 'home'. However, I have the lug nut recall on our car, so will have to have that attended to. Already had the false airbag etc. malfunction and the loose axle nut clunking fixed.

Pity. In concept (intention, design) this car is soooo good; the execution, even on a Japanese production line? Pretty poor. Not happy.

I guess now I'll wait for something else to go wrong; shouldn't be long now!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Thanks Guys for your reporting. I found it based on your info. Definitely the tube behind glove box. Fixed
Hi!

If you don't mind, and if you know -- could you tell me exactly what/where this is that was rattling, and what was the fix? I suspect we have the same problem. The first 'fix' (dealer) made it go away, but only for a week or so. The more specific information I have, the more likely it is the problem can be traced/permanently solved.

So frustrating; as I've said in several posts, this car (our fifth '3' since 2003) is soooo good in concept/design/nhv-suppression, etc., but these niggling problems are irritating.

TIA for any info.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It is a hose connection up to the left and behind the glovebox. Removed the glovebox reached up ad to the left and found a plastic hose connection to be movable. I wedged a styrofoam pad between it and a support rod to prevent it from moving. Did it by feel. Perhaps if there is clamp holding it in place it can be tightened. I chose to wedge it and prevent any further movement. Styrofoam pad is 1.5” thick. Wedged it tight.

I’m 72 years sold and have found over the years that many dealers are sloppy when doing these types of corrections. So I tried it myself.

I love the car. Mine is a stick premium hatch.

·
Registered
181 Posts
It is a hose connection up to the left and behind the glovebox. Removed the glovebox reached up ad to the left and found a plastic hose connection to be movable. I wedged a styrofoam pad between it and a support rod to prevent it from moving. Did it by feel. Perhaps if there is clamp holding it in place it can be tightened. I chose to wedge it and prevent any further movement. Styrofoam pad is 1.5” thick. Wedged it tight.

I’m 72 years sold and have found over the years that many dealers are sloppy when doing these types of corrections. So I tried it myself.

Many thanks! I don't feel competent to attempt this myself, but I'll certainly pass this info along to our service techs.

Niggling issues -- and the current recalls -- aside, we (we're 67) too love the car: a/t premium hatch.

·
Registered
9 Posts

Hey, can you maybe try to explain how to remove the glove box assembly? I don't want to take any risks, thanks!

·
Registered
163 Posts
1. Open glove box
2. disconnect the dumper from the glove box by pushing it outwards
3. Press both sides of the glove box towards each other and move it out
i noticed there is a ceiling panel inside the glove box. does that need to be undone? And a bolt in the back-- does this need to be unscrewed?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Just brought home my 2020 premium hatch. I had been on two test rides prior to purchase, never heard a thing. Three blocks from the dealer on the way home, dash rattle commences on the first street encountered that had some rough patches. Went straight back to dealer. Service dept is backed up, have to return tomorrow. 35 min. drive one way.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Many thanks! I don't feel competent to attempt this myself, but I'll certainly pass this info along to our service techs.

Niggling issues -- and the current recalls -- aside, we (we're 67) too love the car: a/t premium hatch.
were you able to sort this rattle out? i wish someone could post pictures or describe more in depth about this. i have some weird rattles that come from a very ambiguous space in the dash. the sound echoes so deceptively in this car, it's hard to be sure if this is the fix-all for one of these rattles

21 - 40 of 67 Posts