2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 225 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
I used Mobil1 Advanced Fuel Economy for first oil change after the free one at the dealership and there's just something about it I don't like. Granted I did the change in October right before a really cold winter but I feel like the fuel economy isn't where it should be. The engine has some jerky acceleration too, now that I'm about 7,000 miles into the oil. I'll be sending a sample to Blackstone when I do my oil change in the next couple of weeks and will post the results. I'm hoping to get the Mazda OE oil at a decent price and use that and the OE filter this go around and see if there's a difference in feel. The Mazda oil has great lab results compared to the other oils I've considered.

New 0W-20 Synthetic Motor Oil from Mazda - CleanMPG Forums
It's been two weeks since I ordered the oil from the Mazda dealership and it still hasn't arrived. There really is nothing these dealers can't screw up.

·
Registered
103 Posts
After waiting two weeks (the oil still hasn't come in by the way) for the dealer oil, I called the other Mazda dealer in the area and they had the Mazda oil IN STOCK and CHEAPER than the other morons so I changed my oil yesterday, sent the sample off to Blackstone and I'll post the results when they come in!

·
Registered
14 Posts
After waiting two weeks (the oil still hasn't come in by the way) for the dealer oil, I called the other Mazda dealer in the area and they had the Mazda oil IN STOCK and CHEAPER than the other morons so I changed my oil yesterday, sent the sample off to Blackstone and I'll post the ]
results when they come in!
Looking forward for your results :) You can also post that result in BITOG's forum under the used oil analysis section so people there might be able to give some insights and feedbacks on how well the mazda 0w20 with moly did...

We have a 2014 mazda 3 with 2.5L skyactiv and the current oil on it is the mazda 0w20 with moly with royal purple oil filter...

Has anyone tried the Mobil1 EP 0w20? I was thinking of trying that on my next oil change since its easier to get it through walmart...

How about castrol 0w20 and Pennzoil with Pureplus Technology 0w20? Are they gonna be good for the skyactiv engine?

Skyactiv engines are actually a bit noisy when you open up your hood? Is that normal?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Oil n Filter

While in warranty period I used Mobil 1 0w-20 with Mazda filter 1st two oil changes along with liqui moly MOS2 and then went to Mobil 1 5W-30 Extended Performance with (Motorcraft , K&N , pureone,) filters plus Liqui Moly MOS2. Now using Castrol 0W-40 european formula plus liquid moly MOS2 pureone filter.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Got the oil results today.

This is for Mobil1 Advanced Fuel Economy 0W20 Full Synthetic oil with a Fram Ultra filter. I have 18,048 miles on the engine and 6,936 miles on the oil at the time of the sample. The oil was used over the past winter, which was very cold, and I used my remote starter a lot.

I have to admit, I don't know too much about the numbers but their comments do concern me regarding the fuel but moreso about the aluminum and piston wear.

I already have the Mazda 0w20 with Moly oil and the Mazda OE filter on the car now so I'm eager to compare the two in about 7,000 miles and see what's going on!

Attachments

·
Registered
236 Posts
Anybody used an oversized filter? On my previous car ('89 Mazda MX-6 GT) I used a Corvette ZR-1 filter (Purolator L14619) which was WAY larger than the one called for, but fit just fine. (It fits our Honda Odyssey also.) I looked today at the spec'd filter and it's TINY. Looking at that picture the filter element is just puny. The L14619 has a 20mm threaded hole, but there was no mark on the stock-sized one.

If nobody else has, I'll pioneer that research when the time comes. (only 1200 mi. on the car so far - 2.5L S Touring)

·
Registered
92 Posts
My HOA won't allow oil changes in my parking spot (I really need to find a place with my own garage...) so I've been going to the dealer for the Mazda 0w-20 with moly and what I presume is a Mazda filter.
My previous car I always changed my own with Mobil 1 (used Castrol a few times) and Wix filters. If I move to a place where I can do my own, I'll do my own again.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I use Amsoil Signature Series w/ Amsoil filter - buying at wholesale was about $50 -- but supposed to be good for 10k OCI's... will change it at 8k and have a blackstone report done on it to see what the TBN numbers are. If they're good I'll stretch it to 10. For me that's twice a year.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I am running mobil1 with an oversized pureone filter, works great

·
Jaffa Cake Addict
385 Posts
Been using the stock dealer oil (PetroCanada 0w20) when I had free changes for 2 years, now that i'm paying I decided to switch to Royal Purple 0w20 which is $50 CAD locally. Still cheaper than stock dealer oil and some UOA's online look pretty good. Next oil change I might buy Eneos from NAPA but it's $50 USD so ~$80CAD

·
Registered
6 Posts
I did around 5K OCIs for my first two oil changes and then I went 14,215 on my most recent. I used RedLine 0w20 and I changed the filter a few times (wix and pureone).

I got the oil analyzed a few times for fun and I am pretty sure we can do 15k OCIs if you do more highway miles.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I've been a Red Line fan for a long time. In our 2003 Odyssey Red Line was the quietest oil I ever ran in that vehicle. Every other 5W-20 was louder - meaning more valvetrain noise, etc. The difference was very noticeable. So you'd recommend RL 0W-20 as well?

·
Registered
103 Posts
My second oil analysis is in. It shows that the Mazda 0w-20 and OEM filter have cleared up all of the previous concerns I had with the Mobil oil, and now Blackstone is telling me I can push the mileage up to 11,000. I love the insight this report gives for your car. Blackstone is the best.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
So a lot of info here about different oils used, so hopefully I'm not asking something that was covered. I stopped at my local Mazda dealership that sells Subaru as well, and asked for the Mazda 0w-20 w/ Moly. He said they use the same 0w-20 for all of their cars that take 0w-20. It's made by Idemitsu and they buy it in bulk, although they do carry it in gallons and quarts under a Subaru label. I asked if it had moly additives and he didn't seem to know. I purchased it because w/ filter and washer it came to $44 which is cheaper than I could get the moly oil online, and I'm overdue for an oil change. It says "API Service SN, Resource Conserving", but says nothing about GF-5. Do you think this might be the same stuff, or at least OK to use for a shorter OCI? I plan on buying kits next time with the Mazda branded oil.

41 - 60 of 225 Posts