2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi folks. I have an August 2020 Mazda 6 with 70.00.352 4A N (presumably from factory). I am about to enable serial access so i can install tweaks etc.

My question is about the update.up file. I understand i need to update (or just re-install) my firmware so i can login on the terminal. I managed to find a 70.00.352B 4A N update.up file which i am hoping will still work. I understand it is better to stay with 352 and not upgrade to 367 (or 74.00.XXX).

When exactly should i install the update.up file?

I assume i enable the serial connection first as per these instructions here: Serial Connection

... THEN once the above is finished, I install the update.up file following the additional V70.00.335+ instructions here: ID7 Recovery v2

Is this correct?

I am just not 100% sure at what stage of the instructions i install the update.up file.

Any suggestions please, they will be appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
1st make all your wiring and check if you see the text fly by via serial connection.
Then install .352 and at the end of the installation paste the command for ID7v2 (with USB Stick [with ID7v2 XX folder] inserted at your car`s usb slot). Ignore the error messages. Then reboot. Be happy to install AIO Tweaks (but please keep in mind that AIO Android Auto does not work at any FW 70 - just, if you wanted to install that).
Ok thanks Tristan i will give it a go this coming weekend. My car already has factory fitted AA/CP so i will leave that option unchecked when i install the tweaks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am trying to use PuTTY on my 2020 Mazda 6. I have 70.00.352 firmware and have a 70.00.352B update.up file. I copied the XX folder and the update.up file to a USB stick as per the instructions. When i connect to the CMU via serial access and insert the USB drive, the text in PuTTY just keeps flying by. I left it for over 30 minutes yet nothing changes the text keeps flying.

I understand i have to update (or reinstall) my firmware since it is 70.00.335+. How do i start the update file? What program do i use to open the update.up file?

I thought about trying to use SecureCRT but so far i have not found a working torrent or cracked version.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I finished the update.up installation all ok, then ran the command before i turned car off.

Then i plugged in tweaks thumb drive and turned car to acc. Got part way through the installation but kept getting messages something about drive capacity being 100% full and clicking on "yes go on anyway". These messages said it may ne dangerous to continue. After i while i decided maybe it was unsafe so i aborted the tweaks installation.

Now my screen is stuck at the black startup screen with mazda logo, audio on last radio station only. I have tried resetting the CMU via 3 button resets, also followed the "blind factory reset" youtube video. But none of these work. So it appears i have just bricked my CMU.

I realise now in the AIO utility there is an option in the top left menu, so that the files are stored separately so main folder doesn't become full. I didn't have this option checked on my first tweaks installation attempt because i didn't know this was required.

Oh well. So now i need to buy a CMU from a wrecking yard, or buy a raspberry pi etc and try to bring back my existing CMU from the dead.

This is frustrating, but i think i am making progress.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well i thought i would be able to do this in my 2020 Mazda 6 with 70.00.352 but i have failed again sadly.

Today i drove a seven hour round trip to my nearest capital city and bought a replacement CMU for AU$300 plus AU$100 petrol, since i bricked my original one yesterday.

This time i was more prepared, or so i thoughr. I put a battery charger on the car to keep it from going flat. The replacement CMU had 70.00.335 on it. I was able to update it to 70.00.352 flawlessly, and ran the "XX files" off the USB stick also without problems.

Then i insert the AIO tweaks USB stick and just like my first attempt last night, it started ok. But then it again started showing this "100% full" message:
Font Gadget Display device Screenshot Multimedia

I see this message has been discussed before, such as here:
...but none of that is useful to me now with another bricked CMU.

Unlike yesterday, today i kept on pressing "yes - go on" over and over until after about 30min it finally said "installation completed". It asked me if it could do a factory reset as one of the tweaks required it, so i said yes. Then it froze at the black screen with mazda logo and a small spinning circle. I waited another 30min just in case it wsd still doing something, but nothing had changed. I reset it via the 3 buttons held for 5 seconds.

And that was it. Just the black screen with mazda logo and audio static on an untuned station. Great, i got another bricked CMU. I only got it home about four hours ago. A lot of time, effort, and money wasted. I just can't work out what i have done wrong, i thought it would work this time.

What to do now? I need a third CMU from somewhere. A bricked screen isn't any fun. I can't go on keep spending this sort of money. I'm just gonna let this pass it seems beyond me.

This time, i will just update the firmware to 70.00.352 unless it already has it, and then i don't try to f--- with it any further! Perhaps i am just too stupid, who knows? The Mazda folks in Hiroshima would be laughing at me right now i am sure...

But thanks anyway to everyone for your help. I did my best.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks Pez. I have the serial connection and PuTTY but tbh i have no idea how to do what you suggested. Yes you're right - with two bricked CMU's i can try whatever i like on them. Bit i think the only way is via serial. Once they went to the black screen with mazda logo, the USB port in console no longer worked so that rules out a USB stick. But to be honest i think it's best that i just let it go. Maybe in the (hopefully near) future someone will come up with a much easier "plug 'n' play" setup or similar rather than all this complicated stuff people of my kind obviously cannot figure out. No doubt it's easy for some people, but not for others. Then there is the ever-present risk of catastrophic failure (i.e. bricking) if something goes wrong like it seems to with the 4A N / ADR version. Oh well.

I just ordered another CMU, this time online for AU$230 including postage to my door. It already has 70.00.367 F/W on it so there's no need to flash it. I know, 367 is not preferable to 335 or 352. But it doesn't matter in my case as i'm gonna fit it to my car and just leave it the hell alone...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ok thanks Jimmy for all the info. It doesn't look that hard, i have ordered the required bits on feeBay. One order is in AU whereas the other is from China so i will have to wait for postage. Once the third CMU arrives (probably next week) i will fit it into my car while i am waiting so i have it working. Then when i have everything i need i will try to unbrick the other two CMU's. I will post in this thread how i go. Also i will PM you about the "tweaks.sh code". Thanks again. Mark

·
Registered
28 Posts
Btw if i didn't say so in an earlier post - yesterday i did have the "Apps To Resources" checkbox selected, so i don't understand when i run the tweaks it still showed "100% full" messages.

Rectangle Font Software Parallel Technology

Where does it save the "Apps To Resources" files? On the CMU? Or on the USB stick? If it's the USB stick, maybe i needed a larger capacity USB stick? The one i used was an old Toshiba 1GB stick that came with my Toshiba laptop many years ago now. Perhaps i should have used say an 8GB stick or larger?

·
Registered
28 Posts
To the CMU (to another partition/folder than usual), not to the USB stick. USB stick size does not really matter, as long as it is formatted FAT32. No need to try another USB stick.
Thanks Tristan

Probably best to post in the "Black Screen MZD" thread instead. That way this thread stays the tweaks thread and when others are searching how to unbrick their CMU, they will find your posts 👍
Ok sorry about that.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Folks, sorry if this is a silly question.

My 2020 model Mazda 6 with FW 70.00.335 AU N already has Android Auto (and CarPlay) fitted from factory. So when i am making up my tweaks file, do i still select the "Install AA App" option or just leave it unchecked? On both of my earlier attempts (which ended in me bricking the CMU both times) i had this "Install AA App" option selected. I'm thinking in my case maybe that didn't help things.

Once i am able to unbrick my first two CMU's i will try to install tweaks again. Should i also rename the tweaks.sh file to run.sh or is this unnecessary, since i have been able to get the tweaks installation file to start ok?

·
Registered
28 Posts
In the AIO Tweaks installation instructions here:

...it talks about the following:

"Compatibility will be generally checked at the beginning of an installation, if your FW is not compatible the installation will abort at this point. This is for the safety of incompatible systems."

Does this mean that if i see the "Danger!! RootFS is 100% full" message, my selected tweaks are incompatible (even with the "Apps To Resources" checkbox selected)? If i see this message again i will hit abort the very first time i see it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I managed to unbrick my 2 spare cmu's that i had bricked when trying to install tweaks. See this thread:

I updated both cmu's to 70.00.352 via serial access etc.

Only problem is a cannot seem to get the tweaks file to run. I had got the same file to run before, when i got the "100% full" messages and it bricked my cmu. Not sure why it won't run now.

At the end of the 70.00.352 update process, when the infotainment screen says "turn ignition off then back on to complete installation", the text in PuTTY should come to a stop. But both times it didn't stop rolling. Despite many attempts i was unable to right-click (paste) the copied command text so i could run tweaks. Also all the text flying by was garbled characters, not the legible text you usually see. Not sure what this means.

Like i said the updates worked fine but i wasn't able to run the tweaks file like i could previously.

What do i do now? :unsure:

·
Registered
28 Posts
In this post (Link) I showed the cryptic signs I saw in putty - at that time it was due to wrong configured putty. If you have the correct settings, then try to set it to the following values, if that is possible.
CDATABIT=8
CPARITY=none
CSTOPBIT=1
Thanks Tristan.

My PuTTY settings were the same as above so it wasn't that.

Looks like it was a faulty serial connection between my cmu and the cp2102. I completely re-made my custom cable between them, using new components. I followed the "serial access instructions" to the letter. I thought i did this the first time but who knows i may have stuffed up somewhere, or something was faulty.

Am doing a 70.00.352 update (reinstallation of existing 70.00.352) and it looks normal, no "cryptic" text. It's currently at 77%.
Computer Personal computer Netbook Gadget Font

I will try to run tweaks again as soon as it finishes. Fingers crossed... 🤞
Mark

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hurrah! 😀 After all this time spent and head scratching the tweaks installation worked! 🥳

Now i just gotta figure out what does what, and which settings i want. Decisions, decisions... :LOL:

Funny thing is the tweaks install process showed the dreaded "100% full" messages again and i thought oh no, not again. But for some reason my gut feeling was "nevermind, be patient" so i was. I kept pressing "yes - go on" whenever it appeared. It worked. As we say here in Australia "Well bugger me!".

Thanks again folks.👍
Mark

·
Registered
28 Posts
The last two nights i've been experimenting with the tweaks settings. I have learnt a lot about (some) of the things the mzd-aio-ti tweaks program does.

The only thing i can't figure out is if i try to change the screen colour scheme from the default mazda red to blue. Any colour option or setting (other than the default red) that i've tried results in the grey menu tabs at top of screen becoming transparent. See circled part in second picture (showing "Settings" screen):
Font Astronomical object Display device Technology Space
Font Rectangle Terrestrial plant Screenshot Parallel

In the first picture i selected Blue in "Custom Infotainment Colours". But i have noticed that if i leave "Custom Infotainment Colours" option unchecked/not selected, the grey tabs remain as shown in second picture.

I have tried many combinations but only leaving it the default red keeps the grey tabs. I know it has nothing to do with whether or not i have the "Background Image" option selected as i have tried default red/blue with background image/no background image - it made no difference.

Every time i re-install tweaks i first do a "Full System Restore" via mzd-aio-ti just to make sure no residual tweaks remain on my cmu, so i know it's not that either.

So, is it possible to keep the grey tabs when selecting any colour but the default red? I'm hoping i'm just missing an option or have messed up something, but i can't find it if it is possible.

Mark

1 - 20 of 21 Posts