2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today I finished up the install of the subwoofer upgrade in my 2010 Mazda 3.

First the details:

1. Custom fiberglass enclosure made by Derrick_B (Thanks Derrick)
2. Polk Audio 8 inch subwoofer
3. Amp rack in spare tire wheel well area also made by Derrick_B
4. Arc Audio XXD 2080 Class D amp (240w x 1 @ 4 ohms)
5. Hi-low convertor spliced into the stock bose sub wiring.

First the amp rack. Bolts up right were the stock subwoofer was.

The parts of the amp rack

Stock subwoofer location. Notice the bolt that holds down the sub and the spare tire.

Stock subwoofer removed

Board that bolts up to the stock subwoofer bolts

Amp rack screwed down to that board.

Now the installation of the Arc Audio XXD 2080. I needed something that is smaller enough to fit in the area of the wheel well of the spare tire. The amp is really powerful for such a small footprint. It was actually too much bass and I had to turn it down because the stock bose speakers just couldn't keep up.

Hi-Low convertor.

Amp all installed.

Close up of the Amp

Last but not least, the box and sub. I think it makes good use of a somewhat odd well in the side of the trunk area.

Before

After

Still got lots of trunk space left. Don't even know that there's an amp hiding under there.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thats a nice install!

·
Registered
191 Posts
lovin the amp it reminds me of last years alpine pdx model

·
Registered
191 Posts
I like it, you see people putting these big installs in a small trunk, not a fan. But that is nice and clean.
I dont use my trunk so i put a big system and the trunk is pretty big a lot bigger than a camaro i kno that forsure

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I use my trunk so I can't put a big box in there even if I wanted to. This is my daily driver so it needs to be functional in all aspects. Not just trunk space for grocery bags, but luggage when I travel or room for my dogs.

·
My car is Luke's father
1,005 Posts
That is a very clean install!

I plan on doing an upgrade to my sub sometime in the future and I really like this set up... I use my hatch a lot so I really like the minimalist setup.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I want to do the same thing to my 2013 Mazda 3 HB, but how and where did you connect the cables from the amp? I want to keep everything but want more bass in the care. Thanks!

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I want to do the same thing to my 2013 Mazda 3 HB, but how and where did you connect the cables from the amp? I want to keep everything but want more bass in the care. Thanks!
The RED wire is power connected directly to the battery.
The thin YELLOW-ish wire is the remote wire connected factory amp remote turn on.
The BLUE wire is ground which is connected to a bolt.

For the signal, you need to cut off the connector that plugs into the stock bose subwoofer. You will see 4 wires, 2 brown and 2 green. That is your +/- of the right/left audio signal. Wire those into the hi-low convertor and RCA connection to the amp.

Is has been a while so I am doing this by memory. Let me know if you have any further questions.

·
Admiral Obvious
1,811 Posts
how does the enclosure stay in place?
is it bolted or does have a friction fit?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
how does the enclosure stay in place?
is it bolted or does have a friction fit?
I have a velcro strip on the bottom and back. It grips the carpet pretty good. Before I did that, after a drive I would find the enclosure on the other side of the trunk.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Anyway you could upload the pics again? I realize this is an old post but this is exactly what I want to do with my 2012 Mazda 3 HB and the pics would help me out a lot. There are tons of other posts on this topic but this one has the best info. Thanks!

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Anyway you could upload the pics again? I realize this is an old post but this is exactly what I want to do with my 2012 Mazda 3 HB and the pics would help me out a lot. There are tons of other posts on this topic but this one has the best info. Thanks!
I just tried to re-add the images but something screwy is going on with photobucket. It won't let me link photos any more without paying ($400/year) and it won't let me download my photos. I will have to see if I still have a copy on my local computer and find a new place to upload them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would greatly appreciate it. I am going to go ahead with the install hopefully this weekend but your pics would be a serious help. Thanks again.

·
Demon Spawn
758 Posts
anyone wanting a sub and don't want to use screws or bolts to hold it this Velcro works well, get some gorilla glue to glue it to the carpets and it works like a champ, 15 pounds per square inch rating it held my 30 pound type r 12 in a 10 pound box with a 5 pound amp just fine with 5strips 1 at each corner and 1 in the middle: https://www.lowes.com/pd/VELCRO-2-in-x-4-in-Black-Rectangle-Fastener/3033924 or this one: https://www.lowes.com/pd/VELCRO-2-in-x-4-in-Gray-Rectangle-Fastener/3117433

when you see it it is gray and says the strength rating on it get the 15 pounds one. holds strong

1 - 19 of 19 Posts