2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 16 and got a 3i 5spd mtx for my first car. I know, my parents are awesome. Anyway, when we were looking at cars and called our insurance agent, he said a Mazda 3 shouldnt be too expensive to insure. It would cost the same as a Kia Soul or Hyundai Elentra or any car in its class. Turns out its incredibly expensive for me because I'm 16 and they classify it more as a "sports car" (Yes, a base model 148hp sedan is a sports car apparently.) So just curious if its mostly becauseI'm 16 or because these are expensive to insure for all.

·
Registered
323 Posts
How much u pay? And are u under you moms/dad insurance?

·
Registered
46 Posts
It's your age and if they place you as the main driver on that vehicle. If they put you under lets say a 1995 Toyota Corolla then the premium will be lower but it will still cost a pretty penny because of your age.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Yea, 16 and a male I assume? For some reason guys have the higher rates, strange because I am a way more controlled driver than my wife!!! WTF!

·
MAAAAAD
2,140 Posts
best thing to do, get the car under your parents name and put one of your parents as the primary driver of the mazda3 and put your name as the primary driver for the cheapest/oldest car thats under your parents policy.

I'm 22 and have 1 accident but no tickets/points under my belt. Bought the car under my parents. Was only $400 more per 6 months. We're paying about 1250 ish? every 6 months for 3 cars, full coverage, $500 deduct. and my sister and I both have an at-fault accident under our belt.

Also, try shopping around for insurance. We've had State farm, Progressive, Geico, and now 21st Century. 21st Century offered the best rate and did not raise the rates like Geico was doing every month or so. Plus their claims service was fast and easy.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I'm 24, and my '10 3i that I've had for 2 years now costs only $6/year (thats right, PER YEAR) less than an MS3. Insurance is also comparable to a 2-3 yr older (Mk5) GTI. I guess maybe cost of replacement parts may be a factor since the 3 is a relatively (loosely speaking) new design

But mostly because you're 16. My '87 Wrangler with only 112 hp was $2k/year for insurance, even under my parents' name, which was stupid 'cause the thing never went fast enough to roll over :stuart:

·
cro-magnon man
510 Posts
I'm 24, and my '10 3i that I've had for 2 years now costs only $6/year (thats right, PER YEAR) less than an MS3. Insurance is also comparable to a 2-3 yr older (Mk5) GTI. I guess maybe cost of replacement parts may be a factor since the 3 is a relatively (loosely speaking) new design

But mostly because you're 16. My '87 Wrangler with only 112 hp was $2k/year for insurance, even under my parents' name, which was stupid 'cause the thing never went fast enough to roll over :stuart:
EXACTLY what my preious company said cost of parts was high. but it also does not help being 16 with a new car and a male.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I went with Liberty Mutual.. im 21 car is in my name, insurance is under my own plan

came out to be 94 a month.. and I have 250 accidental deductible.. 500 collision, 100/300 + funeral benefits.

·
MAAAAAD
2,140 Posts
I went with Liberty Mutual.. im 21 car is in my name, insurance is under my own plan

came out to be 94 a month.. and I have 250 accidental deductible.. 500 collision, 100/300 + funeral benefits.
wow thats a really good rate! guess its time I pack up and move to PA. :tongue:

·
Registered
114 Posts
im 27 and my rates under GEiCO is $488.90 for six months. total premium is $638.80 but i have some discount applied to my insurance: total discount $ 149.90 inlcudes 5 year good driver, sponsored marketing, new car, passive restraint, anti-theft, anti brake lock. coverage up to 300K with 500 ded.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm 29 and I have a near perfect driving history. I am insured with State Farm, and I drive the 2010 MZ3 S sedan and I pay about $82 a month for full coverage.
My wife and I also have two life insurance policies, Volvo, and a scooter covered by State Farm as well. So we got some discounts.

D

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm 24 and have perfect driving history based on their records, hahaha. I drive a Turboed Mazda3s Sport Sedan. My rate with Progressive is $508.50 every 6 months for 25k/50k/25k and 25k/50k for both uninsured and underinsured motorist with a $500 deductible for both collision and comprehensive. Car and insurance is in my name and I only have auto insurance.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Man you guys are crazy speaking of $1250 + & - some, shit! My dad "forgot" to add me to his insurance when I got my drivers license when I was 15! I drove uninsured for 4 years before knowing this fact! I found this out when I bought my MZ3 HB. I was 19 when I picked it up (payed cash for it :yes:) and it is in my name.

The insurance part of this story is crazy! The cheapest deal I had gotten was from Allstate... A whopping $2400/6-months, not year but per 6-MONTHS! Yes, $2400!!! That was with a $750 comprehensive deductible and a $1500 Collision deductible, also 25k/50k coverage! It was shit when I first got it! Now one year later, I switched to GEICO and it is still $193 per month!

So y'all ain't paying nothing haha :tongue:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Man you guys are crazy speaking of $1250 + & - some, shit! My dad "forgot" to add me to his insurance when I got my drivers license when I was 15! I drove uninsured for 4 years before knowing this fact! I found this out when I bought my MZ3 HB. I was 19 when I picked it up (payed cash for it :yes:) and it is in my name.

The insurance part of this story is crazy! The cheapest deal I had gotten was from Allstate... A whopping $2400/6-months, not year but per 6-MONTHS! Yes, $2400!!! That was with a $750 comprehensive deductible and a $1500 Collision deductible, also 25k/50k coverage! It was shit when I first got it! Now one year later, I switched to GEICO and it is still $193 per month!

So y'all ain't paying nothing haha :tongue:
LOL Insurance got back at you for not paying for 4 years! You're damn lucky that you didn't get pulled over or anything during the 4 years being uninsured.

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry for the late response! I'm under my parents policy and the way its set up is the car is in my moms name but I am covered on any vehicle I drive regardless of who owns it. I could drive my neighbors car and still have the same coverage.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My 11 Mazda 3 iTouring is only rated $5 a month cheaper than a 11 Camaro V6 LT RS......Me and my friend have the same company and they do rate Mazda 3's as a sports car for some odd ass reason.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I'm paying about $99 a month full coverage through State Farm.

·
Registered
30 Posts
some of you all have really good rates. but I'm paying 135 a month with a good student discount. It would be in 170 without it and I'm 22 with geico.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts