2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Guys!

I would like to upgrade my Dunlop SP Sport Maxx TT after approx. 23,000km. I do no wish to change tire size or width, as I would like to retain the overall performance and good ride comfort that I have currently, not to mention that in Israel we are required by law to stick to the OE tire size when the car was registered in the ministry of transportation.

I must say that 225/40/18 was an attractive choice but I'd rather have better drive comfort than acceleration or grip, or even more importantly to have peace of mind and not being scared of getting caught because I was using illegal tire size. Also, when driving on bad roads the Eibachs' ride comfort it's not that great and I do not wish to make it worse.

So I found an interesting choice, the Yokohama Advan Neova AD08, which is a very good performance tire and has been discussed briefly and recommended on the forum.

Here are the stats for Yokohama Advan Neova AD08 :

Review link:
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Yokohama/Advan-Neova-AD08.htm

Here are the stats for the Stock Dunlops:

*I really doubt that they rate it as not that loud

Review link:
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Dunlop/SP-Sport-Maxx-TT.htm

So my question is, it is worth to upgrade and spend that much money for better handling on dry and wet? Or will I suffer more from the increased and louder road noise from the new tires, making me regret my purchase when compared to the already noisy stock Dunlops?

I understand that in situations like this there is no win-win situation, and compromises needs to be made. As always I appreciate your feedback.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
6,408 Posts
Those ADO8Rs are a really good performance tire, but are rather expensive and you'll be replacing them almost yearly. Very sticky tires, expect maybe 10k miles out of a set if you are lucky. Also, they are rather stiff and ride hard. They don't work very well when the temperatures get down towards about 40°F. If they get too cold they can crack. They aren't all that great in the rain either from my experience with them. Great autox or HPDE tires though.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After reviewing further, here in Israel a full set of Yokohama Advan Neova AD08 costs approx. 1160USD, while sticking with Dunlops is approx. 755USD.

Having to change them every year is huge investment money wise speaking, and although I really want to have improved performance I think I'm "doomed" on sticking with the stock Dunlops for the life cycle of the car.

If money was not an issue then the Advan's are a solid choice...but also I don't want a stiffer ride....Tire decisions...I wished we could have here better tire options, sadly we don't.

·
Super Moderator
6,408 Posts
No, that specific size is not available, at least not here. However, there are tires available outside the US that you can't get here. That size is very limiting as far as performance tires.
You might want to look into the Continental ExtemeContact DWS06. Its a performance oriented all season, and far better than the Dud-lops. Read the sticky about them if you have not already.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...8DWS06XL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, that specific size is not available, at least not here. However, there are tires available outside the US that you can't get here. That size is very limiting as far as performance tires.
You might want to look into the Continental ExtemeContact DWS06. Its a performance oriented all season, and far better than the Dud-lops. Read the sticky about them if you have not already.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...8DWS06XL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Thanks! I'll try to find those here, although very unlikely.

If I'm crazy enough I might pull the trigger for Advan's but I'm pretty sure I'll regret my decision later on.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Thanks! I'll try to find those here, although very unlikely.

If I'm crazy enough I might pull the trigger for Advan's but I'm pretty sure I'll regret my decision later on.
I would personally look into the Bridgestone S04's as well. I'm not sure what the availability is for you over there, but I'm certain we can help you track down something that will work better than those OE tires..

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Super Moderator
6,408 Posts
Treadwear rating is 240, probably not a lot better than the ADO8Rs. I don't see a lot of talk about those Goodyears. Haven't heard much either way. Not sure if thats good or bad.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
The treadwear on the Dunlops as well is 240. Also the Goodyear's weight is 9.55kg=21.05lbs., my current OZ wheels weight is 19.5lbs. (Part# W01974208H1), overall wheel and tire weight = 40.55lbs./18.39kg.

The Dunlops tire weight is approx. 10.35kg-10.61kg/22.82lbs - 23.4lbs. tire , current setup therefore is approx. 42.32lbs-42.9lbs. / 19.2kg-19.46kg.

*Important to note that in the US the car comes with SP SPORT 5000 SYMMETRICAL , while in the EU-Middle East the car comes with Dunlops SP Sport Maxx TT, therefore there might be a difference in exact weight between each other.

Compared originally to the 18" OEM stock wheels which are bout 26.8lbs per wheel +23.4lbs = 50.2pounds/22.7kg

Therefore:

-OEM Wheels and Dunlops = 50.2pounds / 22.77kg

-Current Dunlops (SP Sport Maxx TT) and OZ's = 42.32lbs-42.9lbs. / 19.2kg-19.46kg. (Current weight savings of 7.88lbs. - 7.33lbs. *More is better)

-Goodyear's and OZ's = 40.55lbs./18.39kg (Future weight savings of 9.65lbs. over stock, and 1.77lbs. - 2.35lbs. over current set-up)

Regarding the Goodyear's it looks like they are vey good on wet and dry, but the option that is being sold here is 215/45R18 93Y EAG F1 (ASYMM) 2 FP XL TL. From what I read XL (Extra load) tires are slightly heavier than standard load tires, adding more unnecessary unsprung weight which might not be my case, and have more roll resistance, leading to more fuel consumption in some cases.

So after calling tires stores all morning and checking options, it's either spending 1110$ for the Advan's, getting the Goodyear's or sticking with the Dunlops, what is your recommendation?

The Goodyear's are very well rated on Tirerack.com:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=MP&sortValue=1#ratingsSort

I'm just looking for an upgraded and better driving experience than the one that is currently offered by the stock Dunlops SP Sport Maxx TT.

Attachments

·
Registered
510 Posts
used the 08R last summer, now on PSS in summer. loved the yokos, but the steel in the sidewall is not as forgiving as the PSS. i not sure which is cheaper. i tend to buy when there's a promo available and keep them till my next change. which is usually about a year each time.. i had yokos for buy 3 get 1 free. so i'm not sure if you have such a deal there..

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks! @louisbosco, nice to read a review from somebody who actually used the tire. Would you go back to the Advan's or stick with the Pilot Super Sport?

As per this link:

http://www.tirewarehouse.net/datasheets/Yokohama-Advan-Neova-AD08.pdf

The Neova's weight is 23.1lbs. / 10.48kg and with a treadwear of 180.

This combined with my OZ's = 42lbs. / 19.05kg per unit

*When comparing this data the Goodyear's would be 2.05lbs lighter than the Advan's.

I'm very sure the Advan's are awesome tires, no doubt about that, but spending 1100$ every year is not too much of an option for me. Yes I want performance but for a "daily driver" and for the money I'm inclined to think that the Advan's are overkill for what the car is meant to do, as I still want practically and comfort.

·
Registered
510 Posts
i will stick with the PSS for sticky daily tire. i find they fare much better in the wet as well than the yokos. they last longer overall. but if it's for the track, go ahead with the yokos.

the pss would not be as good for the track because after it heats above a certain temp, it softens and wears very fast. but the yokos, on track provide a better return (in its ability to maintain heat in the tyres) in terms of grip when tracked..

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So I decided to put the tires on hold for now. My current tires don't need immediate replacement and I estimate that my tires are half way through their lifecycle more ore less, so for now I'd rather wear them off and buy when really necessary, perhaps in 1 year there will be even better tires option available here (hopefully), but at least I know where to start and what to consider.

So, instead I purchased something else that will improve my driving experience , Koni FSD's Part# 2100-4166 from the Tire Rack. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello Guys!

not to mention that in Israel we are required by law to stick to the OE tire size when the car was registered in the ministry of transportation.
Hi David,
Note that you can change by law to any size that any Mazda 3 model has.
so according to wheel-size.com there is a Mazda 3 with tire size 225/45ZR18 (2.5?). with this size you have much more options in Israel, like michelin ps3 and pss

just make sure before you purchase tires check in an yearly inspection place that the size is shown in the ministry of transportation system.

BTW, the Neova AD08 is an awesome tire, will probably be next choice on my Miata and i compete and do track days with it...

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi David,
Note that you can change by law to any size that any Mazda 3 model has.
so according to wheel-size.com there is a Mazda 3 with tire size 225/45ZR18 (2.5?). with this size you have much more options in Israel, like michelin ps3 and pss

just make sure before you purchase tires check in an yearly inspection place that the size is shown in the ministry of transportation system.

BTW, the Neova AD08 is an awesome tire, will probably be next choice on my Miata and i compete and do track days with it...
I found official documents from the ministry of transportation regarding the import specifications of the Mazda 3 to Israel, and the max. tire size allowed as per those documents is 215/45/18.

Technically I could get away with it by installing 225/45/18 or 225/40/18 but the hassle of switching them on every yearly inspection is something I don't want to deal with, I'm more of "put them on once" and that's it.

Can you elaborate more about your track days? I've been wanting to track my 3 for a while but I have no knowledge whatsoever on how to do it around here.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts