2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I’d be safe with 225/45 but there’s that part of me that wants max fender fill and width for just that few bucks more. On eiback sport line kit (1” front, 1.3” back). Never drive with passengers, occasional tools. Future will be building a nice sq system 12” sub, two high power amps. Maybe I answered my own question that with the future upgrade 225 might be best way to go,yet I always wonder. Will that 26-26.3 diamete, 8.9-9.3 width going to break the deal and rub. Anyone running a mildly lowered 3 with 235/45/18 and it have utility? This is my daily so sometimes
Tools carried and the future stereo. Just making sure I leave no stone unturned. Thanks I’m advamce, answers are appreciated and will
Ease the mind

·
Registered
452 Posts
Im toying with going to 235's as well, but at stock height, simply because its low enough and i scrape in odd places my '06 6 never did. But i am going with 1" spacers as well. I use https://tiresize.com/calculator/ for reference, to find the widest tire that keeps the same rotational "height". I almost want to try 245's because they are .01+ where the 235's are .02-.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’ve used and side by side comparisoned the good tire and offset calcs, but of course I need pertinent gen 3 info rather than generic. Maybe the hassle of 235’s width and height is just to much of a gamble for the minute asthetic gain. Any step by steps- tutorials on how to measure out maX tire dimensions? ( tires off or on )

·
Super Moderator
4,964 Posts
TireRack has all the info you need, including how to convert tire section widths according to rim width. Thats the one that gets you if you use rims that are other then OEM size.

·
Registered
452 Posts
TireRack has all the info you need, including how to convert tire section widths according to rim width. Thats the one that gets you if you use rims that are other then OEM size.
Thats not what he means. He needs to know with his lowered height will the 235's rub vs the 225's.

·
Super Moderator
4,964 Posts
Thats not what he means. He needs to know with his lowered height will the 235's rub vs the 225's.
I can read just fine. This is what was asked-
Any step by steps- tutorials on how to measure out maX tire dimensions? ( tires off or on )
TireRack has the numbers and means to find out what the final tire dimensions will be after installation. You can't get any idea if a tire will cause interference if you don't know how wide it will be when mounted on a specific rim size.
As to rubbing issues, its been asked, discussed and answered, many times. All you need to do is look.

·
Super Moderator
4,964 Posts
An 8-inch wide wheel with a +45mm offset is going to place the front lip of the wheel right at the fender lip. This coupled with the 235/45R-18 size (which is aggressive - height & width) and lowered suspension and you will most likely rub under normal daily driving.
Well actually, it will be close but probably ok. No mention of what rims but with stock offset and width it shouldn't be any problem. The issue is if stock 18" rims are used, 235s are a bit wide for a 7" rim. 225s are about as wide as you'd want to go before you get noticeable slop in the cars handling. The 235/45 will also cause speedo error if thats a problem....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Why not go with 225s since you know they will fit. Then measure how much room you have and add a spacer slightly less than the clearance.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts