2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, I have the wrong generation of 3, and it's a speed in addition to that, but I'm sure some passionate owners here would like the warning anyway, since I'm here for things related to my better half's '13 skyactiv.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wanted to give all here a heads up, that some shops consider it "standard procedure" to do a half-assed job of spray painting your calipers, rotors, and anything else that might come in the path, black!:huh2:

No asking, no warning, nothing. Got the car home from getting new tires put onto my Advans, smelt fresh paint, and looked closer to see my calipers were now black!

All this after requesting that they be especially careful, use stick-on weights, etc etc..

Got in touch with them after hours via email, got in contact with the owner, and they'll be doing a full disassembly, bead blasting, and re-assembly. You can bet I'll be looking it over a LOT more carefully this time.

Let this be your warning.. :cheers:

·
Registered
465 Posts
Whaaaat. I've never heard of this and I worked in a shop. I mean maybe they fd up one of them somehow and to cover it up they painted them.
What is the name of the shop and what is the location?

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Wait a minute, you were just getting them to mount and balance some new tires on your rims, correct? Why the F was paint even involved?!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Location: Southern OR. If they don't make it right, then I'll be sharing the shop & owners' names.
When I got ahold of them, dragged one of them back to the shop, and talked to them, they claim it's "standard procedure for all cars with nice aftermarket wheels"

Yes, completely without my permission. They have done work for my girlfriends family many times, but they all have factory wheels.. so they get to keep their unpainted calipers??

NO idea why paint was involved. I couldn't.. still cant.. believe it! Yes. Remove FK452 from Advans, install FK 453. Balance with sticky weights. Remove stock wheels & snow tires from car (been riding my motorcycle since roads have been clear), install Advans onto car. I brought them both lock keys, my Rays lugs, and a taped (no scratchy!) extra thin wall deep impact socket for installing the Advans.

Guess this is what you get in an area where even Rotas are off-the-charts nice, and you recognize the two cars with BBSs...

I'd considered doing it before, but it would have been with proper epoxy paint, they would have been sanded, and they would have been disassembled so I wasn't painting the back side of my brake pad, the springs & clips, etc..

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I cant believe this dude I would have flipped the fuck out like no other! I work at a shop too and this makes no sense to me

I can only hope they fix it right

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
So they painted your calipers for free, you are mad because they did something for free? As long as they didn't get paint all over the place, I wouldn't mind.

When I had my eclipse I had rims and tires mounted and the guys doing it painted my calipers, and I didn't mind one bit.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So they painted your calipers for free, you are mad because they did something for free? As long as they didn't get paint all over the place, I wouldn't mind.

When I had my eclipse I had rims and tires mounted and the guys doing it painted my calipers, and I didn't mind one bit.
I'll paint some of your car flat black for free next time you stop by the hardware store. I'm sure that's what you wanted..right?:thumbdown 1:

·
Admiral Obvious
1,811 Posts
that's lame, i would be livid if it was me. If it is just regular rattle can, do a bunch of hard stops/ or canyon carve for a few hours, it should burn right off.

·
Registered
718 Posts
LOL.. What if the mechanics helper (or whoever it was), who's job it is to spray the customers calipers, just happened to loooove the color pink! :lol 1:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Or, how about... imaginary scenario at a window tint shop:

Customer: "Oh boy, can't wait to see my new tinted windows on my M3!

Shop Forman: "Yes Sir, we have your new tinted windows done for you, 15% sides and back! Oh... and as a surprise, and for FREE, we tinted your front windshield as well!!!

Customer: :eek:

Nothing wrong with "Free," but how about asking first? They might even offer different caliper colors for the customer to choose from too? Black, silver, red, gold, etc. A surprise and for free.. Yea, I'd be PO'd too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
that's lame, i would be livid if it was me. If it is just regular rattle can, do a bunch of hard stops/ or canyon carve for a few hours, it should burn right off.
I don't know what they used, I'd THINK it was a high temp spray, but who knows at this point!

I'm also worried about the contamination to brake pads from significant overspray onto the friction surface. Anyone have input on this?
I might Email EBC or Hawk & get an official response to show to the tire shop.

LOL.. What if the mechanics helper (or whoever it was), who's job it is to spray the customers calipers, just happened to loooove the color pink! :lol 1:

Or, how about... imaginary scenario at a window tint shop:

Customer: "Oh boy, can't wait to see my new tinted windows on my M3!

Shop Forman: "Yes Sir, we have your new tinted windows done for you, 15% sides and back! Oh... and as a surprise, and for FREE, we tinted your front windshield as well!!!

Customer: :eek:

Nothing wrong with "Free," but how about asking first? They might even offer different caliper colors for the customer to choose from too? Black, silver, red, gold, etc. A surprise and for free.. Yea, I'd be PO'd too.
Ha, oh man. Pink. Maybe purple?

Yeah, they claim to have asked people until they were blue in the face, and always gotten "well of course, yes!" but they also admitted that these are the people who "care about their car" so they take it to jiffylube regularly & run it through automated paint swirling machines (car wash)..

If they'd taken a wire brush to the calipers and rotor hats & cleaned off a little surface oxidation & rust (respectively), and told me about it, i'd have thanked them... but they painted them without asking or telling!

·
Admiral Obvious
1,811 Posts
I don't know what they used, I'd THINK it was a high temp spray, but who knows at this point!

I'm also worried about the contamination to brake pads from significant overspray onto the friction surface. Anyone have input on this?
I might Email EBC or Hawk & get an official response to show to the tire shop.
over spray on the brake surfaces can be cured with one good hard stop from 60 MPH.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
And the overreacting continues. Seriously you think that is going to affect your braking? Maybe I should have my brakes changed every time I let the car sit a day or two and get corrosion on the friction surface.

Plain and simple do what sin said.

·
Registered
148 Posts

Thats not the point whether you mind or not, some people would. Id flip the f*ck out, and I personally would make them buy me all new calipers, and rotors, and i'd call the B.A.R. on the repair facility.

I work as a collision adviser, that is not acceptable what so ever. If they called and asked prior to doing so then yes, that's acceptable, but to modify your vehicle like that without permission... :wtf: :angry019:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thats not the point whether you mind or not, some people would. Id flip the f*ck out, and I personally would make them buy me all new calipers, and rotors, and i'd call the B.A.R. on the repair facility.

I work as a collision adviser, that is not acceptable what so ever. If they called and asked prior to doing so then yes, that's acceptable, but to modify your vehicle like that without permission... :wtf: :angry019:
Wouldn't have even had to call.. I was sitting 200 yd away in their waiting room!

·
Registered
718 Posts
And the overreacting continues. Seriously you think that is going to affect your braking? Maybe I should have my brakes changed every time I let the car sit a day or two and get corrosion on the friction surface.

Plain and simple do what sin said.

Hay, Wing, I would think paint would be really bad for the pads, and maybe even the disks, but I don't know for sure. I'm just curious, would you be willing to spray some black paint on your disks and then drive around for awhile? I'm really curious to know what will happen?

Thanks,

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Hay, Wing, I would think paint would be really bad for the pads, and maybe even the disks, but I don't know for sure. I'm just curious, would you be willing to spray some black paint on your disks and then drive around for awhile? I'm really curious to know what will happen?

Thanks,
Doane, you are always welcome to PM me if you want to have a pissing match. But FYI annoying a mod doesn't end nicely.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts