2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 3i Touring with the 5 speed. The issue is I have to actively hold my foot off the gas when cruising for extended periods. When I lower the seat all the way and/or raise it there is still space between my thigh and the seat so when in a relaxed position I wind up accelerating. If I move the seat back I cant properly reach the clutch. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Do I have to buy one of those old lady seat pads or something?

·
Registered
286 Posts
This is a weird thread lol well it took me forever to find mine and I still changed it up like 3 times. I used to sit pretty far to where my foot would fully extend to press the clutch but then ended up moving a bit closer to the clutch.

How tall are you ?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm 5'10''.

I just find it very tiring for my leg to have to always be holding my foot off the gas. It's hard to describe.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'm not sure I follow what you mean. If your foot is off the gas, how does the car move? :)

Or do you mean that you are holding your leg up so that your foot is 'in the air' but pushing the throttle?

To be clear, do you rest your heel on the ground or not?

·
Registered
975 Posts
I sit closer than most people do; I was always told that with the clutch in, your knee should still be bent (in case of accident; think of where the bones go if you're in a straight line... if that isn't a nasty enough image in your head).

I have gotten used to it, my knee is quite bent and yes on say like the 11 hour drive I took last year in my car up to Maryland my legs got tired, but not that bad.

I don't have cruise control on my car either.

As a stupid PA, you shouldn't be "comfortable" when driving a car, as that's what causes people to fall asleep.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not sure I follow what you mean. If your foot is off the gas, how does the car move? :)

Or do you mean that you are holding your leg up so that your foot is 'in the air' but pushing the throttle?

To be clear, do you rest your heel on the ground or not?
When I am cruising on the highway and my leg is at rest, it will put to much pressure on the accelerator. This causes me to constantly have my foot 'up' with my heel on the ground of course. The lack of thigh support while doing this is very tiring. When I am driving my ATS for example, while 'resting' my leg I don't put pressure on the accelerator and I just have to press the gas when necessary to maintain my speed.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I've had my 3 for nearly 2 years now, and I still haven't found the sweet spot. I've tried a bunch of different positions that "work" but nothing that just feels natural. I'm not really sure that's the engineers' fault, just my own OCD issues. The most perfect seating positions I've ever experienced were in my S2000 and my E46 330ci. I wouldn't expect the seats on a $20k car to be as good as cars costing nearly twice that new, but they definitely did jade me.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The conclusion I have come to is that the bottom part of the seat just doesn't angle at all and its too 'straight'

I need it to be at more of a reverse angle to get support under my knee. Anyone think I can put a couple washers under the brackets in the front to create a bit of a tilt to get the angle I'm looking for?

·
Registered
72 Posts
My 2011 3S is my third and last Mazda. The factory seems to cheapen them up year by year by taking away features (lumbar support, adjustable thigh support, turn signal mirrors, etc. The driver seat is torture and the road noise is the worst of any newer car I've been in.......

·
Registered
11 Posts
Drivers seat comfort

Like the title says, I cannot find a comfortable driving position!! I have had the car (2016 M3 sport) for a few months now and I find the seat is lacking lumbar support. I also seem to "slump" forward so I am always trying to lean back.....I would hate to get an "old man" pillow on the drivers seat!
Any tips regarding seat adjustment? PS for the record, I am coming from a 2004 Mazda 3 in which I was perfectly comfortable!!
Thanks

·
Demon Spawn
758 Posts
Like the title says, I cannot find a comfortable driving position!! I have had the car (2016 M3 sport) for a few months now and I find the seat is lacking lumbar support. I also seem to "slump" forward so I am always trying to lean back.....I would hate to get an "old man" pillow on the drivers seat!
Any tips regarding seat adjustment? PS for the record, I am coming from a 2004 Mazda 3 in which I was perfectly comfortable!!
Thanks
how tall are you? manual or power seats? what trim level car? this will help us determine how to further help

personally i had an 08 3 manual i am 6 foot but like to sit mildly close so i put my seat just over half way back and tilted it up slightly in the front and down in the back the 08 s had adjustable lumbar and i put it as thick as it would go, i need/like alot of back support. this is a similar position i chose in my 11 s grand touring automatic however further back as automatics tend to drive more lazily (as is the case here) and i do not use the left leg so it just sits on the dead pedal. but my 11 has power drivers seat so its about 2/3rds back tilted up slightly in front and right at middle in back. no adjustable lumbar but the leather seats are very thick and supportive for an entry level car so its not really necessary for my seating position plus they have alot of side bolstering all around

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the input! I am 5'10" The car is automatic with manual seats. I am still trying to find a good position . It will take time and probably just settle for a "good enough" position. As a side note, I have noticed that the door opening is actually smaller (perhaps lower) than I had in my 2004 as I keep banging my head getting in and out.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I'm 5'11", driving a 2016 automatic with manual seats. Recently had to readjust my seat. I first moved it all the way back. I moved the seat cushion up as high as it would go, then depressed the lever 4 times to let it sink/ slightly tilt. After that, I adjusted the seat back a notch at a time, until it felt comfy...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I find if you put the seat all the way back, you create a blindspot with the pillar by your left temple. Furthermore, you would have a heck of a time getting in and out going around the pillar.

I have brought the steering wheel closer to me by 2 cm and lowered the seat a bit. I also brought the seat forward a bit and then tilted the back....I still have more exploring to do to get it right. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I still haven't found the seating position in my 2010 Mazda 3 after 2 years. Every few weeks I change it.

For me it's because the clutch engages all the way at the end of the travel & has 0 feel; so I have to take my foot high off the ground and it sometimes hits the steering wheel which makes for less than smooth acceleration from a stop.

·
Super Moderator
5,234 Posts
For me it's because the clutch engages all the way at the end of the travel & has 0 feel; so I have to take my foot high off the ground and it sometimes hits the steering wheel which makes for less than smooth acceleration from a stop.
Sounds like you need to get that clutch looked at:surprise:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Having rented a modern Ford Fiesta, Hyundai Elantra, and owned a 2014 Honda Fit, they all required me to actively lift my foot to hover above the gas pedal when cruising. It was a little tiring at first, but got used to it. Even drove 7+ hrs on a trip with 2 or 3 breaks no problem. Actually, the Mazda was the best of those cars since it has more legroom and some lumbar support.

I'm a bit short, 5'6'' and while I can go back enough to totally rest my foot above the accelerator without depressing it, my arms will be too far from the wheel and dashboard, so I went forward just enough for my arms and just got used to the foot position. The only other car I had was a 2001 Maxima that let me relax my foot over the pedal while maintainng good arm length, but that's a "luxury" sedan with a much longer vehicle length. I'd go so far to assume if you need a relaxed position without actively lifting your foot, a subcompact car won't do.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts