2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, this is Ken from NYC. I just joined a minute ago. I have owned Corvettes with manual transmissions, a new ‘04 Coupe, then traded 9 years later on a new ‘13 Grand Sport, sold in March, ‘20 as Covid reared it’s ugly head.
I want to buy a ‘21 Mazda3 HB Premium with 6 Speed manual or possibly a HB Premium with AWD and Auto. I’ve read many posts on this and other forums about which iterations of the ‘21 M3 have cylinder deactivation In summary it seems that both Premium Hatchbacks, the one with FWD and 6 speed manual and the one with AWD and 6 speed auto do have cylinder deactivation. Any current owners of either of these M3’s that know differently? Please say YES.
Thanks,
Ken

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,666 Posts
The manual version of these cars are more for sedate driving and low RPM shifting. Enjoyable cars but not very exciting if you enjoy quickness off the line.

I'd get the AWD auto hatchback if I were you or the turbo (no deactivation) that only comes in auto.
CK

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 2021 Premium hatch with 6-speed manual. It does not have cylinder deactivation, nor does it have shut-down when stopped. And, to me, it has a great deal of power, especially when accelerating full throttle (higher rpm) in lower gears.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have 2021 HB FWD 6MT (premium). I don't have cylinder deactivation as I am aware of. I remember if you can see the graph of cylinder on setting screen, you have cylinder deactivation. I have not seen on mine.

·
Registered
977 Posts
The manual version of these cars are more for sedate driving and low RPM shifting. Enjoyable cars but not very exciting if you enjoy quickness off the line.
I would have to agree, re the not very exciting part. The 2.5 is decent in the mid range, but it has either a heavy flywheel (actually a dual mass flywheel) and/or the PCM doesn't allow the revs to fall fast between gears, and the stock exhaust is pretty darned quiet. Not much "Sports" quotient... The manual 'box is fairly close-ratio but for the "granny-gear" First...

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,666 Posts
Exactly. Once you get it going, it can be fun, but for a smooth shift from 1st into 2nd you can only build about 1k to 1.5k RPM from idle (7-10 mph).

Very slow starts but great through twisties.
CK

·
Registered
977 Posts
I've GOT to put some kind of a sport exhaust onto my '17 Mazda6 6mt. The super quiet exhaust is a drag. I can't afford to make it 'real raucous... as a raucous exhaust would not be keeping with the character of my Deep Crystal Blue 6 with plain OEM 17's... but I NEED to at least hear the exhaust for goodness sake!

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,666 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts

Shipping won't be cheap, but it is super high quality and no drone or ricey sound.
CK
That looks good. If it does the trick, then notwithstanding the cost, I would go for it. The only thing that gives me pause is that I want to first fit a Mazda-Australia receiver-tube hitch... (talk about expensive shipping :| ). The reason I want that hitch is because it is the only receiver tube hitch I've seen with a vertically-oriented receiver tube. It all but disappears when the hitch itself is not inserted. Not only does it disappear, but it will positively NOT ground-out on driveway aprons (like the hitch on my Camry does :( ). I need to ascertain, once the hitch is installed, that the Racing Beat axle-back will not foul the hitch... Thx CK...

BTW, All, my apologies for the thread highjack.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Your thread now. Not purchasing a Mazda3. Going with Camaro SS 1LE with stick. Staying with what I am used to.
Ken

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hy,
my G150 M3 manual has cylinder deactivation. The good thing about it is, it genuinely seems to improve fuel economy (5.5 L/100km), however, the calibration could be much better because it switches on/off as soon as you stop accelerating which can be a bit annoying. In my mind it would be better if it stayed in 4 cylinder mode a bit longer and switched two of them off when youre actually cruising for cca 30 seconds (or only when youre in 5-th or 6-th gear). Other than that, no issues with it so far, transition is pretty seamless.
Cheers!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Here in the UK we only get the 2.0L skyactiv G or X engines and as I have had both we definitely don't get cylinder deactivation. I'm assuming it's just the 2.5L engines that get it, and as for the engine not turning off when stationary don't all Mazda 3s get I stop? the only time mine doesn't turn off the engine if stationary is if the battery is a bit low or sometimes if the aircon is operating it only turns off for a short time.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I love the fact this car is so quiet, except when flooring it and the engine is pretty damn noisy. The cabin is such a nice place to be on a long highway drive. I have my GTI when I want exhaust note and go cart handling. The GTI is not a good car for a long trip, our Mazda 3 HB is our new trip car!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Here in the UK we only get the 2.0L skyactiv G or X engines and as I have had both we definitely don't get cylinder deactivation. I'm assuming it's just the 2.5L engines that get it, and as for the engine not turning off when stationary don't all Mazda 3s get I stop? the only time mine doesn't turn off the engine if stationary is if the battery is a bit low or sometimes if the aircon is operating it only turns off for a short time.
You are wrong.
The UK 2.0L G M Hybrid has it on all Mazda 3 models, the 2.0L X does not have it. If you don't believe me download the prices and specs brochure from Mazda.
I have a 2.0L G and the CD operation is imperceptible. However, if you watch the Energy Flow Monitor graphic display it shows CD operating almost all the time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello, this is Ken from NYC. I just joined a minute ago. I have owned Corvettes with manual transmissions, a new ‘04 Coupe, then traded 9 years later on a new ‘13 Grand Sport, sold in March, ‘20 as Covid reared it’s ugly head.
I want to buy a ‘21 Mazda3 HB Premium with 6 Speed manual or possibly a HB Premium with AWD and Auto. I’ve read many posts on this and other forums about which iterations of the ‘21 M3 have cylinder deactivation In summary it seems that both Premium Hatchbacks, the one with FWD and 6 speed manual and the one with AWD and 6 speed auto do have cylinder deactivation. Any current owners of either of these M3’s that know differently? Please say YES.
Thanks,
Ken
I have 2019 Mazda 3 preferred, AWD, 6 speed auto, it has cylinder Deactivation, I believe some 2020 and 2021 AWD's still have it, I understand until those crappy engines are used up, what ever you do, DO NOT GET A MAZDA WITH, CD based ENGINE.
I unfortunately own one, I was a little mislead by the Dealership shall we say, at idle, the car can shake badly, or you feel like its misfiring slightly, other times, it can vibrate so violently when cruising, you honestly think the engine fell out.

Another thing you need to be very careful on, is the Climate Control, its the worst you will ever have to deal with, if like me, you life in California, you will regret it, and after a year of it still no fixes from Mazda, your only hope, get ceramic window tinting, it helps.

I am in the lemon law process for the second time with Mazda, there will never be a, third time, is a charm.

Just advising, be very thorough, in your research, and test drive, what ever model, extremely well, and I mean at speed on a freeway, and on a hot day, as you will notice the AC turns of under normal acceleration, compounding a bad system even further.

·
Registered
542 Posts
CD in a manual gear it's manageable by switching gears but I would prefer to not have it. Unfortunetly EU (and UK) brings it always in the Skyactiv-G.
CD in an auto transmission must be an impossible drive...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Here in the US, the CD kicks in, if you are stopped and use the auto hold function, and sometimes it wont engage the fulcrum weight, to balance out two dead cylinders, and boy does it vibrate, and it increases the rpm another 200 rpms, then when it catches the fulcrum weight, it causes the car to lurch forward against the brakes, then drops back, its enough to make sure friends never drive the car again.

Or when cruising under low loads around 55 mph, if it does it, jump on the gas pedal, or drop into manual mode, the whole thing only saves 1 mpg, a waste of space, and makes the engine very unreliable, and tears out motor mounts, I am at 5000 miles and one motor mount is already gone. Mazda needs to disable the system fully. The gas milage on these cars suck anyway, on a drive home, steady cruising with AC on, 25mpg no AC 32mpg.

I am going back to Kia, never had issues, we have 6 mixed kias on the fleet for undercover units, some are at 90K never seen a dealership, and still drive like new, with great gas milage too, all the Mazda's will never be replaced with Mazda's, all the staff with new Mazda's say the same, they will never have another. I have already had a CX-30 bought back, it was so bad.

My advise, look at other manufactures if you are looking for a car, if you own one, I pray you got a good one.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Here in the US, the CD kicks in, if you are stopped and use the auto hold function, and sometimes it wont engage the fulcrum weight, to balance out two dead cylinders, and boy does it vibrate, and it increases the rpm another 200 rpms, then when it catches the fulcrum weight, it causes the car to lurch forward against the brakes, then drops back, its enough to make sure friends never drive the car again.

Or when cruising under low loads around 55 mph, if it does it, jump on the gas pedal, or drop into manual mode, the whole thing only saves 1 mpg, a waste of space, and makes the engine very unreliable, and tears out motor mounts, I am at 5000 miles and one motor mount is already gone. Mazda needs to disable the system fully. The gas milage on these cars suck anyway, on a drive home, steady cruising with AC on, 25mpg no AC 32mpg.

I am going back to Kia, never had issues, we have 6 mixed kias on the fleet for undercover units, some are at 90K never seen a dealership, and still drive like new, with great gas milage too, all the Mazda's will never be replaced with Mazda's, all the staff with new Mazda's say the same, they will never have another. I have already had a CX-30 bought back, it was so bad.

My advise, look at other manufactures if you are looking for a car, if you own one, I pray you got a good one.
I am sure Mazda agrees with you and why they dropped CD on the 2021s.

·
Registered
335 Posts

And Yet at the end of the day most people have no issues with CD in Mazda's my self included. Had a 2019 3 HB AWD put over 100,000km on it before I traded it for a turbo 3.. 0 issues with CD it was seamless and I know a lot of people with CD in the CX-5 to the Mazda3 with 0 issues! Just because you got a lemon does not mean everyone has issues! Some have had issues but a small number. Mazda is number 1 for reliably for a reason.

CD in not activated at idle.. This has been talked about many times before just on this forum alone and others. also has been confirmed by Mazda as well.

Good luck with Kia hope you don't have an engine fire! :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
And Yet at the end of the day most people have no issues with CD in Mazda's my self included. Had a 2019 3 HB AWD put over 100,000km on it before I traded it for a turbo 3.. 0 issues with CD it was seamless and I know a lot of people with CD in the CX-5 to the Mazda3 with 0 issues! Just because you got a lemon does not mean everyone has issues! Some have had issues but a small number. Mazda is number 1 for reliably for a reason.

CD in not activated at idle.. This has been talked about many times before just on this forum alone and others. also has been confirmed by Mazda as well.

Good luck with Kia hope you don't have an engine fire! :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts