2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was looking at my Mazda's brake discs and I realized that there were yellow spots on them. It only happens sometimes though. Other times, the brake discs are just the usual copper color, but at random times they have yellow spots, why is that?

On a side note, I really wish I had gotten a manual Mazda3. My friend has been teaching me how to drive stick (actually I already know how, it's just doing it that's kinda hard), and it's so fun! Whenever I drive my car, I keep looking for a clutch and it's not there...:eek:hmy 1:

·
Registered
501 Posts
Has it been raining? Brake discs sometimes have surface rust if you leave them sitting for a day or too. Comes off easily after you drive for a minute.

I hear ya on the manual vs. auto 2.0. I once had a rental 3 (same color/trim, except the interior was dune which does not go well w/ Graphite) which was automatic, and every time I got in it to start it, I would put my foot down where the clutch should be

·
Registered Drug User
100 Posts
Mine has yellow spots too. How will I know if my Brake Disc already need a replacement? I mean, what are the signs i have to consider?
A grinding noise means your on the rivets (BAD) will probably need the rotors replaced. Otherwise some pads have wear indicators, a metal strip that when the pad is thin enough will make contact with your rotor when depressing the brakes and make a squealing noise. Your fronts will wear about 75% to 80% faster than the fronts.

BTW, I don't know if our pads have wear indicators or not, and a visual inspection trumps all!

·
Registered
144 Posts
whenever it rains I have orange rust spots on my discs, goes away quick, but does seem to rust very easy compared to other cars in the lot

·
Registered Drug User
100 Posts
They all do it, some more than others depending on the makeup of the rotors, more iron more rust (I think, I'm no scientist).

In my wifes 5, when she leaves the garage, she always backs out. If the rotors have any rust from rain or heavy moisture on them they make a awful screech/squealing sound, I'm mean fingernails on the chalkboard awful. She hates it, but I suppose I could grease them up?:eek:hmy 1:

Disclamer: by no means am I suggesting that I or anyone that I paid would ever do such a thing. :tongue:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts