2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had XM Radio in my last two vehicles and it was the only source of music I used, other than the occasional CD. I felt it was worlds better than FM, especially since it is commercial free and clearer sound. That being said, now that I have HD/FM radio and the ability to stream Pandora, the XM Radio in this car (S-GT) sounds very muffled. I have to turn up the volume for XM several notches higher than regular radio and/or Pandora. Suddenly, I feel XM does NOT have the best sound and I prefer listening to HD Radio, even though I have to suffer through commercials. Does anyone else notice this?

·
Registered
590 Posts
I have had XM Radio in my last two vehicles and it was the only source of music I used, other than the occasional CD. I felt it was worlds better than FM, especially since it is commercial free and clearer sound. That being said, now that I have HD/FM radio and the ability to stream Pandora, the XM Radio in this car (S-GT) sounds very muffled. I have to turn up the volume for XM several notches higher than regular radio and/or Pandora. Suddenly, I feel XM does NOT have the best sound and I prefer listening to HD Radio, even though I have to suffer through commercials. Does anyone else notice this?
Hi
Do you have centerpoint enabled. and turn up bass and fade to back slightly. Helps.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes on all three of the above. I actually think it sounds a little better with centerpoint disabled though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Stolen from another forum:

"FM radio = potential 720 kbps equivalent, depending on source and signal
Pandora One = 192 kbps
Pandora Free = 128 kbps
Live365 = up to 128 kbps, averages 32 kbps over 3G data
MP3 = most people use 128 or 196 kbps, but obviously, it can go higher or lower

Sirius XM = variable bitrate between 4-64 kbps. Before the merge Sirius was using a 34 kbps constant bitrate."

It's just a terrible product. Let it die.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Stolen from another forum:

"FM radio = potential 720 kbps equivalent, depending on source and signal
Pandora One = 192 kbps
Pandora Free = 128 kbps
Live365 = up to 128 kbps, averages 32 kbps over 3G data
MP3 = most people use 128 or 196 kbps, but obviously, it can go higher or lower

Sirius XM = variable bitrate between 4-64 kbps. Before the merge Sirius was using a 34 kbps constant bitrate."

It's just a terrible product. Let it die.
Good information. However, I think the SiriusXM sound is OK. I felt there was a quality issue until I added the sub and found the right balance in the system. That enabled me also to get better highs from the front. I'm not entirely clear on why that occurred -- and it did require some effort to rebalance the system -- but I'm now hearing the tweeter level sounds much better as well. For some reason, not having a balanced system seems to affect SiriusXM more than the other audio sources. I'm pretty good when it comes to technology but don't have a theory here...

·
Registered
12 Posts
I used a free 4-month trial to see if I liked Sirius XM. I only used it for 1 day. I found the sound quality horrible compared to the HD FM Stations that I get.

It definitely has to do with the bit-rate of the source. I did some research online and found that Sirius XM has very low bit rate. With a very low bit rate, the songs can't hold much information for the sounds in the music. When this happens, some of the frequencies in the music are removed because they just don't have the bit-rate to support all that info.

You may be able to make it sound OK by playing with the balances for front to back, treble, and bass, but I don't think it'll ever sound great. When frequencies are stripped from the audio at the source, there's no way to get it back on your end.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts