2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

Xenon Bulbs?

Tags
bulbs xenon
9K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  louisbosco 
#1 ·
I have a 2016 sedan. The owners manual describes both halogen and Xenon headlights. How do I determine which ones I have?

Thanks!

#3 ·
Typically a factory HID will produce a whiter light, as opposed to halogen producing more of a yellow hew. Something like this.

If you're able to take the bulb out, you'll be able to see a significant difference. In this picture, an HID is on the left and a halogen bulb is on the right.

Hope the helps!

#5 ·
Thanks very much for taking the time to show the bulbs. I should have explained my reason for asking; the manual says I should not try to replace Xenon bulbs on my own as they could be a shock hazard (I am not sure why), but that it is safe for me to replace halogen bulbs on my own.

#4 ·
stand in front of your car. do you have or do not have a seperate column for high beam. yes= halogen. no=bi xenon.

#8 ·
FYI: The danger of handling HID bulbs is probably because they work by generating an arc using 2000-5000 volts. And, even if they are not on, there is probably potential that they are still "charged". So, like an old TV cathode ray tube, you probably need to make sure to safely ground the terminals before you try to handle the tube. The shock probably wouldn't kill a healthy person, but it would sure wake you up.

#9 ·
That is true the initial voltage to start the bulbs is high but after a few seconds the voltage diminishes a lot. The shock from the voltage wouldn't kill anyone but you're right that it'll be hella painful and wake you up instantly. What kills is the amps anything over .1-.2 amps or 100 mA - 200 mA kills.

On a side note cathode ray tubs are pretty cool! One of my peers built one out of a glass bottle and other materials powered by a computer power supply for our physics class as their final project.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.