2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all just told by my dealer that the first run of MZ3 with xenon bulbs is causing a frosting / hazing to the lexan lens. Its pretty obvious and I have noticed it for about 3 months now. Full replacement of the lens is required and of course under warranty.

·
Zoomin' Senior Member
356 Posts
Did the dealer say what caused it? Any pictures?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just passing on the info. Dealer said it was a new warranty and separate to the Transport Canada safety recall for the daytime running lights. I would be surprised if a little daytime running light could cause this kind of damage to Lexan. The way it was explained to me it was first roll offs of Mazda 3's with xenon bulbs. i was one of the first in Calgary to have the MZ3 and the problem develops like clock work and I was lazy not to bring my car in ( 3 months ago) now they are getting alot of calls about the problem. I imagine the damage is a UV issue not so much a heat issue as the plastic is looking like really old car lenses that have sat in the sun to long. Kind of foggy milky colour. Ill try to get some pick out.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Looks to me like there's some residual of the mold releasing agent from the injection molding process left behind on the lens and it's being baked on by the heat of the lamp. Bizarre. Unless that is simply condensation. Either that or like dlevisky mentioned it's something regarding the uv resiliance of the actual plastic used in the molding process. I'll fire off the photos to some of my friends who know far more than I do about injection molding and see what they say.

It's certainly not condensation, correct?

Jason

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I saw the photos ; very similar but more covering over the projection area of the HID lit area. Although got a patch just like that too over the DRLs. Yes definitely not condensation.

thanks Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.