2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a 15 Mazda3 GS hatch, that's the mid-level trim here in Canada, so it's the one with the 6-speakers.

I was having "ghost" issues with the infotainment where it would navigate and click on its own, so I went to the dealer to have a software update done. I figured why not since I have 2 more weeks of "bumper-to-bumper" warranty.

Well I got the car back and the "ghost" navigating my infotainment is still there, but MUCH WORSE THAN THAT, I've now lost half my bass.

I used to absolutely love the stereo, it's by far better than any other car in its class, and the bass output was quite great. My friend even asked me it has a sub. But now that the infotainment was updated, I find I have to turn the volume up much higher than I used to in order to get the same volume, and the bass response is gone.

I mean the rearview mirror and side mirrors used to visibly shake for crying out loud... now they don't move at all.

And yes, of course I've tried playing with the bass adjustments and different volume levels, dozens of different songs. Without a doubt, 50% of the bass there used to be, is now gone.

Previous infotainment version: 30.something
Current infotainment version: 59.something

I'm going to try to get the realer to roll-back the update, or to install a previous version, but I have a bad feeling they're gonna say they can only put on the "latest & greatest".

Has anyone else experienced this and what have you done to fix it?

I really hope I can go back to the sound quality I used to have, I don't even care about the stupid ghost issue, I can live with it once/week when it happens, I just want my bass back.

Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyone else notice a change in sound after upgrading firmware?

Is there anything I can do? Not much of a computer programmer, definitely don't know Linux.

·
Registered
125 Posts
if you haven't applied any hacks then it's probably not a software issue. maybe one of the speaker wires became loose. i'd take the car back and demand they fix it

·
Registered
35 Posts
In a german forum there is also a topic about this problem.
Some guy upgraded from v33 to v56 fw and also complained about the sound (and other user also confirmed this).
They also did some comparison measurments and apparently in newer FWs Mazda reduced the output by 8db in the range between 150-300hz (probably for longer speaker lifetime, or warranty issues).
Its actually not possible to downgrade from 59.00.502.
But why do you not just add an sub? I did this an now the sound is probably even much better than with the old FWs ;-)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Some guy upgraded from v33 to v56 fw and also complained about the sound (and other user also confirmed this).
They also did some comparison measurments and apparently in newer FWs Mazda reduced the output by 8db in the range between 150-300hz (probably for longer speaker lifetime, or warranty issues).
But why do you not just add an sub? I did this an now the sound is probably even much better than with the old FWs ;-)
Sub won't help with that range much if your xover is 80hz, but will def have more bass. :)

What sub/amp are you using and where did you mount them? Pics?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for this info. So it's not just in my head.

It's quite disappointing to hear that it can't be rolled back. There's no tool Mazda has to do this?

As a last resort I suppose I can get an older version firmware from a junk yard head unit. But what part specifically would need to be replaced?

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does anyone know which firmware version applied the 8db decrease?

Where can I read more about this? I've Googled it but can't find anything.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Here is the thread from the german forum:
https://www.mazda-forum.info/threads/schwaecherer-sound-aus-bose-anlage-seit-v56.71937/
But as I said: its probably easier to add a sub than to change the cmu.

Sub won't help with that range much if your xover is 80hz, but will def have more bass. :)

What sub/amp are you using and where did you mount them? Pics?
I wrote a HOWTO in the german forum:
https://www.mazda-forum.info/threads/howto-subwoofer-mit-bose-mazda-3-bm-bn.75097/

·
Registered
336 Posts
Wish I was able to read German...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So this seems to have happened as of V56. I'm going to ask my Mazda dealer to swap my head-unit with one from a 2014/2015 car they have for sale which would have the old firmware.

It's not acceptable that they do a firmware update which decreases your car's performance (yes even if it's just the audio), without first warning you and giving you the choice.

Literally bought this car in part because the sound system was so much better than the comparably equipped Honda Civic.

Such a piss-off, I hope the dealer is willing to bend a bit to make this right. Won't find out till next week, car's at the body shop right now because someone hit my door while I was parked.

I haven't exactly been lucky with my "M3" these days.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Maybe Mazda got tired of all the door rattle complaints from people who turned bass up so they neutered the mid-bass to solve that problem: http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/#/topics/68617?page=2

Edit: actually the speakers in my new '18 isn't that bad with the v59.00.441 NA N FW. Guess I just needed to sit with the speakers for a bit or they needed to break in a little since they're new. Maybe your issue is as the other thread mentioned with speaker separating from the back and needing to be glued back on or replaced. Maybe FW update was just a coincidence?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi,

I have CX5 with 59.00.433 and noticed bass issue. In my case if bass is setup is "0" Zero then bass is getting away in few seconds during playing songs.. To get around this i setup bass to "1" One so bass is here and remains active always.

Bose Centerpoint of course off !!!

Hope this helps some one

1 - 17 of 17 Posts