2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,498 Posts
I have no experience with the JBR bar, but the Progress bar is working great for me and many other members on here.
CK

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm looking to stiffen up the rear(stiffer spring rates or bar) to combat understeer. With my current setup, I can't induce oversteer for the life of me.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,498 Posts
I think your tires would be of the most help in creating oversteer. Switching out the rear end sway bar for a different one won't do the trick.

A front sway bar or front strut tower bar will help a little with negating some of the understeer.
CK

·
Registered
163 Posts
I think a thicker front sway bar would exacerbate the understeer. Thicker sway bar = less overall grip
Front strut bar is more chassis stiffening and the front is already plenty stiff with the firewall.

To reduce understeer, increase front grip and reduce rear grip.
Also, accept that you are working on a limited platform...it's a FWD car and understeer will be an inherent trait.

·
*The Electrician*
978 Posts
If you want FWD oversteer, get a new Civic Type-R lol. In your case tho, you gotta accept its a FWD, oversteer is not common for us, and trying to force it won't end well. What you could do is get a 2nd set of wheels and put some R-Comp tires on them, and use your Federal tires on the rear. You'll get oversteer, it won't be fun, it will wreck your tires, and be mostly unpredictable when pressing the limits. I think ultimately your Federal tires just suck, that's my 2cents. If your serious about grip and getting even a tiny bit of oversteer, start with really sticky street tires. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's as a durable street tire with boatloads of grip, on the edge of RE71R's which is the autocross/track tire of choice. Also, it sounds like you need to understand how to get oversteer in a FWD or something with a FWD biased AWD system. You have to push the momentum at the right time in exactly the right way. On gravel, I can get some oversteer in my Mazda 3 but that takes practice and training too. Our chassis just wasn't built for oversteer, please don't spend oodles of money trying to get oversteer. Used FRS/BRZ are cheap now, oversteer all you want in those?

Reactions: comebackqid

·
Registered
2014 Mazda 3 i Touring 6MT 2.0L
91 Posts
If you want FWD oversteer, get a new Civic Type-R lol. In your case tho, you gotta accept its a FWD, oversteer is not common for us, and trying to force it won't end well. What you could do is get a 2nd set of wheels and put some R-Comp tires on them, and use your Federal tires on the rear. You'll get oversteer, it won't be fun, it will wreck your tires, and be mostly unpredictable when pressing the limits. I think ultimately your Federal tires just suck, that's my 2cents. If your serious about grip and getting even a tiny bit of oversteer, start with really sticky street tires. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's as a durable street tire with boatloads of grip, on the edge of RE71R's which is the autocross/track tire of choice. Also, it sounds like you need to understand how to get oversteer in a FWD or something with a FWD biased AWD system. You have to push the momentum at the right time in exactly the right way. On gravel, I can get some oversteer in my Mazda 3 but that takes practice and training too. Our chassis just wasn't built for oversteer, please don't spend oodles of money trying to get oversteer. Used FRS/BRZ are cheap now, oversteer all you want in those?

This. I’ve had both the firehawk oval (granted I had a wrx then) & currently Kuhmo Ecsta V720, which have boatloads of grip. Both settings of the progress rear sway bar have a noticeable effect on handling and during my last autocross, the only time I oversteering was accidentally “hooking” (for lack of better words) during the slalom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Mazda3 iGT
225 Posts
Are you still looking to sell your Progress RSB?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts