2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in an accident and just found out that my car has been marked as a total loss. It was a beautiful 2014 Mazda 3 i Grand Touring sedan with a manual transmission. I really loved that car. However, now I'm on the hunt for a new car. When I purchased my car new in 2014, there was no option to get the 2.5L engine in manual, which is why I ended up with the i Grand Touring. Since 2015, I have that option. So I'm seriously considering a 2.5 s Grand Touring with a manual transmission. I'm also going to opt for a hatchback. I've decided to test the used car market, and try to get a good deal there.

I was curious as to what the major changes between my 2014 and the subsequent years of 2015, 2016, and 2017 have been on the Mazda3. I see that in 2017 they added a new steering technology for cornering. I also see that in 2017 there were some minor changes to the body, making it rounder.

I'm trying to do all the reading I can on the newer Mazda 3's, but I figure asking here would yield quicker results. Thanks!

·
Registered
67 Posts
The 2017 also has a slightly different interior too. Side door buckets, and a reworked center console, and electric E-brake. Some hate that, but I like it. Helps with interior space.

·
Registered
900 Posts
up to 2016 its basically the same. 2017 they did the minor facelift.

so what are they doing with your old car? any chance of pulling some interior bits for me?

·
Registered
720 Posts
I had a 2014 and now have the 17. It's quieter and G Vectoring means fewer corrections driving straight as well as less lean in corners. The Heads Up display is a little different with some colors and the reverse camera is in color now.

Edit: Oh, and that miserable horn is finally louder!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
up to 2016 its basically the same. 2017 they did the minor facelift.

so what are they doing with your old car? any chance of pulling some interior bits for me?
I just handed it over to the insurance company, so I bet my baby is on the way to some salvage yard :(.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I switched mine because my lease was up (my one and only time to ever lease). I purchased the 2017 because I couldn't find anything better and I loved my 2014. BUT, this time i could mod to my hearts content because its ALL MINE!

Reactions: Brk4lambo

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is the interior for 2015-2017 Mazda Grand Touring's leather or the fake leather? The one qualm I had about my iGT was the fake leather, and I'd like to not get that.

·
Registered
720 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
We have a 2016 sGT in manual and love it. Had to drive 6 hours to pick it up when new. Closest one to us. Love it. It drives like an older 3 Bimmer (and better than then new 3 Bimmers; I know; test drove one right after leaving the local Mazda dealership).

Major difference is the e-brake. Think you can now (in 2017) get the GT in manual with the regenerative braking (similar to hybrid but uses a capacitor rather than a battery). This would keep the mpg closer to that of the 2.0. Couldn't in 2016.

Ours has some sort of combination of leatherette and leather in the seats. They aren't the thick leather like is in our 2013 MX-5 GT (and typical of cars like a Volvo or Bimmer) but seems thicker than what was in our VW Cabrio. The Cabrio's leather was so thin that it shrunk away from the windows on the door panels. The 3's is a bit better. We went with the sGT 3 rather than leatherette in a 6 because the 6 could not be had with heated seats with a stick. We had a 1983 240D with leatherette seats that were still like new after 26 years. After my experience with the poor leather in the Cabrio, I wasn't that keen on leather, but we now have mostly leather in the 3 and all leather in the MX-5.

Ralph

·
older&wiser
55 Posts
I have the 2015 sGT with the manual. Like it a lot. There's nothing like running it through the gears on a long highway entrance ramp, especially since I added the Borla exhaust.

Attachments

·
Registered
267 Posts
I had a 2014 and now have the 17. It's quieter and G Vectoring means fewer corrections driving straight as well as less lean in corners. The Heads Up display is a little different with some colors and the reverse camera is in color now.

Edit: Oh, and that miserable horn is finally louder!
Woah the 14 had a B/W camera? Lame. I had a 14 lease with the base radio so I wouldn't know lol. My 16 has a color camera, still think it has the best viewing angle out of any car I've been in and it also has better resolution. Even got comments from passengers on how much it sees.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the replies guys. I checked out a 2017 automatic transmission yesterday just to see the interior/exterior changes, and I'm going to opt for one of those. Thankfully there are 2 withing 3 hours of me, so I'm seeing which dealership will make me the best deal right now.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have the 2015 sGT with the manual. Like it a lot. There's nothing like running it through the gears on a long highway entrance ramp, especially since I added the Borla exhaust.
Haha, and the dealerships I went to could not find it anywhere within 200 miles radius of NYC area. I ended up getting sGT 2015 w/AT in CT.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Thanks for all the replies guys. I checked out a 2017 automatic transmission yesterday just to see the interior/exterior changes, and I'm going to opt for one of those. Thankfully there are 2 withing 3 hours of me, so I'm seeing which dealership will make me the best deal right now.
I was looking for M/T but gave up and went for A/T. For now I have enough switches and buttons (the paddle shifters, a sport mode and the gear sport mode) to entertain myself driving and slowly forgetting how to drive M/T (A jokA).

Also, when I was in the market I was tearing between iGT and sGT, I've got sGT and never been happier. I thought it will be a temporary ride before I'm ready to switch to C-class, but now it's grown on me so much that I might go for a next generation when it will come out.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Also remember 2018 will be a short production run and the 2019's will come out in early 2018....weird, I know, but true. If I had to buy a M3 now, I would take the 2017. Interior is much better, vector steering, heated steering wheel...and the list goes on.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The b+w camera didn't last long. My 15 has the color
Hmm...BW rearview camera must have been really short lived because my 2014 iTouring has color camera.
In fact, I have never seean any 2014 with BW camera.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts