2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I give up. I swear I've searched for this on the forums and Google but haven't found it. I'm also sure that one of you will post a link and I'll feel like an idiot. But it is what it is.

What I'm looking for are pictures of exterior chrome accents (window trim, front end parts, etc) that have been wrapped with window tint, "not vinyl wrap). I'm hoping that it would give it a somewhat translucent appearance rather than a pitch black gloss/matte.

Any ideas on where I can get a good, close up look at this would be great fellas. Thanks!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input my friend! I'm not opposed to removing the accents trim pieces if I can achieve what I'm after. Have you seen any pictures that might give an idea of the end result?

·
Registered
27 Posts
It’s unlikely that regular window tint would work. It really only sticks to glass and probably wouldn’t have enough stretchage/shrinkage to adhere completely without some real clever seaming.

You’d need something more like the material used for clear bra’s on the front of the car, but a tinted clear bra would really be a silly product to make.

Good luck on your search.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Finding a tint sheet that long without wasting alot of tint may be difficult. It wouldn't be hard to shrink the tint to the trim but traditionally I have only installed tint on inside of vehicles and houses....not exposed to the elements. I like the concept...a 30 to 40% tint I think would be translucent enough but still get rid of the chrome color. I might have to try this on my 3 SGT as I plan to paint all chrome with gloss black paint.
HMMMM......

·
Registered
115 Posts
Here's an alternate idea using spray paint...

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here you go...after thinking this was a great idea...this will be my next DIY on my 3. I'm curious, why did you chose not to vinyl wrap it besides transparency?
Thank you for the link! So my reasoning is this. I don't like the shiny stuff on cars in general.

I also don't like the idea of using gloss or matte because trying to match different "shades or tones" of the same color is almost never perfect.

My car is black and rather than trying to find something that matches seamlessly with the factory paint, I prefer the idea of adding an "accent" to the current finish.

If done right, I think it can look like it could have been a design choice right from the carmaker. I could be wrong, but I'm willing to take a chance. Ultimately, I can always strip it off and try something else.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Pretty positive I will be giving this a shot with the tint on the chrome trim this weekend. Although I want a permanent solution, I too want to see what tint will look like in person on the chrome trim. I plan to remove the trim to install the tint on it. If it doesn't look good, I'll use primer and gloss black paint. Hopefully the instructions here will work on my 2015 3 SGT.

Attachments

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Always try the option easiest to remove first...that's the way to go my friend! Would you mind taking some pictures or making a short video explaining the process? If not, I understand. Good luck this weekend @Armystrong

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sure thing...I usually document all my own DIY jobs. This will be no exception but I think the spray paint will be better looking and match the black trim. The tint has to be cut then shrink to the chrome piece. The hard part will be the back passenger window trim as it is almost an L shape...very hard to get tint to not crimp or have "fingers" at this point. We will see.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
@Armystrong, that's great! I'm sure it will be a challenge but then again everything worthwhile is the first time. I commend you for taking it on and looking forward to what you learn!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I tried for an hour to remove the chrome window trim to no avail. I was able to lift the middle on all windows but the far left and right edge is clipped into the door. I couldn't figure out for the life of me how to get the damn trim off. So with what I had in my garage...the first thing I tried instead of tint was electrical tape. Worked great until I got to the back passenger window where the trim is wider than electrical tap. Electrical tape worked just like vinyl and I treated it the same...heating it up as I rolled it over the trim edge.
It might even be easier to install the tint with the trim on the car since it will have a solid surface without moving much. Some pictures below to show the electrical tape install and where the clip is that I couldn't release.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts