2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as you have probably already read on my other post with the Injen CAI (Read my review, it's updated!), I noticed that after a long drive the metal pipe leading from filter to throttle body is pretty warm. Is it possible to wrap it with some of that Oreilly's/Autozone exhaust wrap? I'm not sure whether it would reflect incoming heat or just trap heat that manages to get into it.

·
Super Moderator
6,401 Posts
Won't hurt anything to try. You won't know if its actually doing anything unless you have a way to monitor intake temps though.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Won't hurt anything to try. You won't know if its actually doing anything unless you have a way to monitor intake temps though.
Yeah cause if I spent the $240 on colder air coming from the fender it doesn't make sense to have it traveling up a pipe that is almost too hot to touch. What is the best way to measure temps?

·
Super Moderator
6,401 Posts
Yeah cause if I spent the $240 on colder air coming from the fender it doesn't make sense to have it traveling up a pipe that is almost too hot to touch. What is the best way to measure temps?
Easiest way is to get an OBD reader. IATs are monitored by the car and you can see what is going on using the right scan tool. There are some that connect to the OBDII port directly and there are phone apps that have a Bluetooth dongle for the port.

·
Banned
842 Posts
wrapping the intake tube will help reduce radiated temperature absorption but on your Mazda intake system IATs are more influenced by the percentage of the volume of intake air charge. It is a mix and compromise between a higher volume air flow into the engine through the throttle body which means more throttle and more heat generated to produce higher engine output and exhaust temperatures and more challenges to control the IAT and low engine speeds that will have a small volume through the throttle body which can have the intake charge pre-heated by radiated engine compartment temperatures. So properly wrapping with the correct materiel can help control the IAT in both examples. This is NOT heat soak which is often mis described on forums and is altogether a different subject matter.

The material you want is not the same as used on exhaust pipes,manifolds or Turbo Chargers but the type best used has aluminum foil on one side and adhesive side on the other.
Look at COOL IT Thermo Tec products Aluminized Heat Barrier adhesive backed products. .

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wrapping the intake tube will help reduce radiated temperature absorption but on your Mazda intake system IATs are more influenced by the percentage of the volume of intake air charge. It is a mix and compromise between a higher volume air flow into the engine through the throttle body which means more throttle and more heat generated to produce higher engine output and exhaust temperatures and more challenges to control the IAT and low engine speeds that will have a small volume through the throttle body which can have the intake charge pre-heated by radiated engine compartment temperatures. So properly wrapping with the correct materiel can help control the IAT in both examples. This is NOT heat soak which is often mis described on forums and is altogether a different subject matter.

The material you want is not the same as used on exhaust pipes,manifolds or Turbo Chargers but the type best used has aluminum foil on one side and adhesive side on the other.
Look at COOL IT Thermo Tec products Aluminized Heat Barrier adhesive backed products. .
Thank you!

·
Registered
190 Posts
search Jegs website, someone makes a "cool sleeve" for CAI tubes in different diameter.
Or you can wrap it in gold heat reflective foil.
I just did that later to most of my OEM intake system

1 - 7 of 7 Posts