2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a stunning Mazda concept! Not the “3,” not even a “6”, but maybe a basis for a later Mazda “9”?

AutoWeek said:
THE MAZDA VISION COUPE CONCEPT IS JAPAN’S NEXT LUXURY DESIGN SALVO

Mazda’s gorgeous Tokyo Motor Show canvas hints at the brand’s premium aspirations
After teasing its new design direction a few weeks back, Mazda finally unveiled the Vision Coupe concept at the Tokyo Motor Show. The photos don’t do it justice -- it needs to be seen in person. Assuming something along these lines actually gets built, it could be the best-looking Mazda since the FD-generation RX-7 and a definite signal that Mazda’s serious about expanding its offerings into more premium territory.

Yes, the Vision Coupe has four doors -- thanks for that, Germany -- but otherwise, it’s true to classic long-hood, short-deck design. The aggressive front shows how comfortably Mazda’s current fascia design translates to a wide, low-slung vehicle without feeling forced. Chances are the extended beak wouldn’t make it through pedestrian impact regulations intact, so expect any production version to tone down the chiseled brow a bit; other than that, the extended windshield and the camera sideview mirrors, there’s not much in the exterior design that would be out of place in a showroom next year.

Interior styling gets a predictably minimalist Japanese aesthetic based on what Mazda says is “the traditional Japanese architectural concept of ma, the meticulous use of space to create atmosphere.” In other words, the lines, woodgrains and other visual cues are intended to impart a sense of flow in the direction the car is moving, but there’s a lot of empty space to prevent any sense of confinement. It’s sort of an “implied cockpit” based on shapes and textures, and it works well as a concept; how much could make it to production is up for debate.

The absence of any engine or powertrain information indicates the Vision Coupe is set to remain a concept for the moment. Still, the Lexus LC proved Japan can be serious about moving from concept car to showroom machine; Mazda seems intent on showing the world what it’s capable of, and making the Vision Coupe a reality would be a hell of an exclamation point.

Read more: http://autoweek.com/article/tokyo-m...japans-next-luxury-design-salvo#ixzz4wWq9MWJS

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,670 Posts
Yeah thats the car that many had hoped would have the next generation of rotary power in it. Probably not going to happen any time soon, not as a primary source of motivation anyhow.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,366 Posts
This reminds me a lot of the Jaguar F type or the Mercedes S65 2 door model.

Very cool.
CK

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
More rotary news out of Japan today.

MotorAuthority said:
Mazda engineer drops more hints about rotary range-extender

Mazda Vision Coupe concept, 2017 Tokyo Motor ShowMazda Vision Coupe concept, 2017 Tokyo Motor Show

Mazda continues to tease us with a rotary engine, which last found a home in a production vehicle in the 2012 RX-8 sports car. At the 2017 Tokyo Motor Show, neither of the brand's gorgeous concepts housed a rotary engine, but managing executive officer Mitsuo Hitomi, who oversees engine development, dropped more clues to Autocar about how the company will include its famed rotary engine in future electrified cars.

Although the automaker has flip-flopped on whether rotary engine development proceeds as a stand-alone engine or as a range-extender for electric cars, Hitomi said both are possible. However, he confirmed the rotary engine will serve as a range-extender first when the company debuts its first electrified car in 2019, Autocar reported. The company partnered this year with Toyota to co-develop future electric cars together and build production facilities.

"It is much, much quieter compared to other manufacturers’ range-extenders," he said of the rotary range-extender.

Mazda's most recent engine development is Skyactiv-X, a Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition engine that still uses spark plugs at times. The company is reportedly working on electrified versions slated for a 2019 introduction, possibly in the next-generation Mazda 3.

future. He admitted there may not be a plan for a stand-alone sports car now, but said, "of course we are developing a rotary engine alone."

This year marks the 50th anniversary of Mazda's first rotary-powered production car, the Cosmo 110S. If there's a chance for a new rotary sports car—and we hope there is—Mazda likely will debut it in time for the company's 100th birthday in 2020.
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/...-drops-more-hints-about-rotary-range-extender

·
Super Moderator
5,670 Posts
Here's a thought-
Seeing as how the Vision Concept is a sporty 4 door sedan, and isn't likely to get a rotary engine, maybe Mazda should put the 2.5 turbo in it and sell it as the 4th gen Mazda 6...

·
Registered
60 Posts
My 16 year old and I were just drooling over the Vision. I'm hoping I can be patient to replace my '06 3s hatch with the likes of this. He's going to need a car likely before the Skyactiv X 3 is released...and is quite bummed, since the plan is that he will inherit my 3. I'm trying to reason with him that he could drive a decent automatic for a year or two, get really good at the basics of driving, THEN be ready to take over my manual.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Ooh, that suggest that it will be available in a year...not the 2+ year estimate I've been seeing. That would be truly convenient so that we can hand off my '06 3s hatch to the rugrat well before he turns 18, instead of having to find him some temporary junker so that he can get to post-HS classes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts