2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was getting into my car the other day and noticed a bubble/bump the size of a quarter (and protruding about a quarter of an inch from) on the sidewall of my front left tire. I'm guessing I got this from hitting a pothole or something, of which there are no shortage of in Washington DC, where I live. I'm wondering if anybody knows if this can/could be replaced under warranty? I doubt it, as I didn't purchase any extended warranties of any kind, and I called two of my local dealerships and they both said its not covered, but I just wanted to ask around to see if anybody else has any experience with this...my car is under 6000 miles and I've had it since June.

·
Resident MacGyver
2,227 Posts
I don't think the standard Mazda warranty covers tires. You may have purchased additional coverage when you bought the car, but most likely you're SOL.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Tires are not covered by Mazda. Look in your owners packet for the warranty phamplet frome your tire manufacturer.

If the bulge was indeed caused by a pothole, uour SOL. If the tire is bad a tire shop can replace it under warranty with the same brand/model.
I would say dont drive it far with a bulge on the side. If it pops while at speed it could be bad for you/your passengers.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I'm guessing I'll just have to pay to replace the tire- sucks too cause its not cheap. The Yoko S34 we have on our cars are something like $170 a piece! I considered using this as an excuse to upgrade to some good rubber, I was thinking the Pirelli Nero all-weather's, but that would probably be about $1000 investment in and of itself.

I would like to try to argue that a pothole didn't cause the bump in the sidewall, but how would one go about proving that? I mean, in DC, that argument is really not possible to make, you can't drive here without hitting potholes.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Take it in to your local tire place (Discount Tire, etc). See if Yokohama will cover it and replace the tire under warranty.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I doubt they'll replace it under warranty...its most likely to fall under a road hazard category cuz usually a bubble in the sidewall would indicate u hit a curb or a pothole or something like that. Meaning you would have to purchase a new tire :sad 1:

Well if it makes u feel any better I had to spend $250 on 1 tire on my speed 3 cuz I had a 3" cut in the tread. It had to be special ordered cuz no one carried the OEM tires and this happened about 2 weeks after purchasing it! I would recommend everyone to purchase road hazard warranties on your factory tires at any local tire shop that offers it. I quickly purchased road hazard on all my tires at Goodyear.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sorry to hear about the tire. But first see whats going on with the tire. Tire damage from driving is not covered. But inherent defects are covered. Only way to verify is to go to the a YOKO tire dealer and remove the tire and look at the inner wall of the tire. Frankly, rarely do companies cover a tires. OE tires like to YOKO S34 are expensive for such a medicore tire. For the DC area limited snow events requiring a tougher tire that fits the output of the car I recommend buying a decent set of rubber. Falken 452s or 912s made in California or Hankook EVO tires You should be able to get in either tire for about 350 400 bucks a set. Pirelli makes good rubber but EXPENSIVE! and frankly not worth it. I ride my Mazda on Falken 452s and it very impressive improvement on ride for summer rubber and Falken Eurowinter tires in the winter.

·
Registered
412 Posts
There is a tire warranty, but only an authorized Yokohama dealer can handle that. It's a pro-rated warranty, so it's the life of the tire minus what mileage you have on it.

Don't drive much on that tire! Get to a Yokohama dealer ASAP and get it looked at. Sidewall damage is serious and dangerous.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Warranty instructions on original equipment are to call 800-722-9888 or your local dealer. Doesn't get much clearer than that.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everybody for the help. I'm out of town for Thanksgiving, and won't be doing much of any driving (the only driving I'll be doing on it will be under 60mph) until I get the tire replaced.

·
Registered
95 Posts
+1 for road hazard warranties, i had mine included when i bought my car...dont even think about the wheels, mine luckily even include resurfacing of rims but if i crack the rim or something it doesnt cover but i guess you will need a bit more than wheel coverage if you get to brake a rim lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts