2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I just saw several Youtube videos about H11 LEDs.

Is there anybody driving with them? 1-2 years ago there was a review about cheap chinese LED bulbs for cars in which the writer pointed out that LEDs are nice looking with pleasant colors, but they worth nothing for road use as the whole LED idea just doesn't work if you swich a car that is factory fitted with simple halogens.

Few months ago I bought a set of very expensive Osram Night Breakers along with Ice Cool Osrams, but I could see hardly any difference between them and the factory yellowish bulbs.

Now I am curious if it really worth now to deal with these chinese LEDs more than few years before?
Are there any drawbacks using them?

I thought to give a try for example this kit:

2x Philips 252W 25200LM H11 H8 H9 LED Headlight Kit 6500K White Bulbs High Power | eBay

Thank You for any input! (is it possible to simply plug&play to swap the factory bulbs to these LEDs? Is it possible to find H11 and H15 to install my car's full headlight set to LEDs?)

Thanks!

·
Registered
327 Posts
Don't do it. The best lighting performance you're going to get, and the safest for other drivers on the road, is a halogen bulb if it's a housing originally designed for a halogen bulb.

Reactions: Mandok

·
Registered
15 Posts
Not worth it. I put in Morimoto H11 LED bulbs in my 2016 Mazda 6 and it appears bright but the distance it lights up is crap. I also put in the 9005 version for high beams and those really light up further then halogens. Seems like LED works best in reflector housings or LED specific projectors. Nothing beats HIDs in proper projectors though.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Your best option is a h9 swap if you don't want to swap in a bi-xenon projector. Here's the difference.

And here is why you should not do a LED swap

Has no hot spot, which allows you to see in the distance.

And offers a butt load of forground

Which makes it very hard to see far, which is what want.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I was researching and wanting to do the same thing. From what I've read from multiple forums and other car places on the internet, the message I got was they look good but not practical.

So right now I am planning on getting the Sylvania H11 SilverStar zXe halogen. Some say it's not worth the money but I checked the Amazon price tracker camelcamelcamel it look like there was a dip in price recently in a flash sale or something like that to about 70% of the price.... so I am hoping to snipe the next sale :p Anyone have experience with the zXe on the Mazda 3?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for everyone!

It is very weird You say LED are useless, as yesterday I watched so many youtube home tester videos and all the owners said that LED way more powerful, brighter and farthest than halogens.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Thanks for everyone!

It is very weird You say LED are useless, as yesterday I watched so many youtube home tester videos and all the owners said that LED way more powerful, brighter and farthest than halogens.
I trust Hyperion's information. From everything I've gathered ( I was thinking on doing LED in the High's before I got new headlights (GT swap)) LED's aren't going to benefit you much unless the headlight was designed for them like some newer cars are coming with.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Thanks for everyone!

Of course... "home tester" who are always trying to justify their money spent and show how cool looking their new mods are.

Halogen housing? - Halogen bulb. HID Housing? HID bulb. Have a halogen housing and want better? HID projector retrofit.

Science is science - putting a different type of bulb in a housing designed for one type of bulb modifies the physics of the whole lighting system and will affect light throw, hotspots, cutoff and as an overall result glare visible to oncoming drivers.

Reactions: Mandok

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'll probably get crap for this but I like mine and often drive at night in the rural plains of Colorado. I had to adjust the height of them a little but they seem fine. There's definitely a cutoff when facing a wall. I even followed a friend and he said they didn't seem to have any more glare than any other car's headlights.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts