2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was changing my spark plugs and on the 4th plug (the far left one) when I was loosening the coil pack bolt (the things where the two engine cover clips are attached to) to change the 4th plug the bottom part cracked.

Now I need a whole new valve cover I guess... where should I buy it from? I superglued the part that cracked down to hold the coil pack for the time being, but not sure I should do that for long.

This blows.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I would try to pull the bolt out then try jb welding that piece back on to the valve cover. If it works just don't tighten that bolt too much and at least you'll have something holding down the coil. This is of course if a replacement valve cover is too expensive

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would try to pull the bolt out then try jb welding that piece back on to the valve cover. If it works just don't tighten that bolt too much and at least you'll have something holding down the coil. This is of course if a replacement valve cover is too expensive
Never heard of that stuff before. Looks cool. Thanks for the suggestion.

I think the biggest challenge will be keeping it out of the threads while sealing the piece back on, if it gets on the threads that bolt will never go back in I would imagine.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
As long as that sleeve is solid all around it shouldn't be a problem. There would be no way for it to get inside the threads unless you happen to put some in there. If you do try it id recommend using the quick set jb weld so you dont have to hold it together for an hour while it hardens. The quick set stuff hardens to the point where it holds itself together within 10-15 mins

·
Registered
975 Posts
I 2nd the JB weld, JB quikweld would be the way to go (24 hour stuff would take to long to cure), no way you can get it on the threads of the bolt, it's inside that carrier. If it does get some on the base, it'll twist off just fine.

Fortunately there's lots of surface area the way it broke off. I'd give that a shot, and if it fails again, just get a replacement VC.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As long as that sleeve is solid all around it shouldn't be a problem. There would be no way for it to get inside the threads unless you happen to put some in there. If you do try it id recommend using the quick set jb weld so you dont have to hold it together for an hour while it hardens. The quick set stuff hardens to the point where it holds itself together within 10-15 mins
I 2nd the JB weld, JB quikweld would be the way to go (24 hour stuff would take to long to cure), no way you can get it on the threads of the bolt, it's inside that carrier. If it does get some on the base, it'll twist off just fine.

Fortunately there's lots of surface area the way it broke off. I'd give that a shot, and if it fails again, just get a replacement VC.
Thanks guys. I blanked on the design for a second and imagined the threads inside the plastic part being easily cemented but after looking at the pictures again I see what you're saying it's just a plastic shell around a metal tube thing that has the threads inside, that will make it a little easier.

I tried for a while to get the bolt out but it's going to be difficult. Not much to hold onto on the broken piece to get the bolt ou.t without the whole thing spinning with the bolt. Afraid of cracking the broken piece by holding it to too tight with pliers trying to separate it.

Thanks again for the jb weld idea. I got the parts cost from the dealership...$350 for the valve cover and another $118 for 14 bolts..

·
Registered
975 Posts
I'd file down the areas that you can to give a cleaner attachment area.
You'll likely have to take the plug out and get it in a vice to get that bolt off, that would be the way I would do it if it's stuck. Don't want to put much/any pressure on it, just keep it from spinning.

I've seen this happen a few times so don't worry, you're certainly not singled out.

But yeah, I would just JBWeld the whole area to be honest, I mean what's the point of skimping out? It's already broken, why make it look pretty when it's a thing of pure function at this point lol.

My advice for when attaching it, actually keep it all together. Make sure the bolt is all the way in (next time, start using antiseize on everything!), apply JB to surrounding area after you've cleaned it up, and fill in that hole, put spark plug and coil pack in place, put some weight (5-10lbs if you can), on the coil pack from above, and let it sit overnight.

Again, make SURE you're getting the quick weld stuff.
And looks like I was wrong, I knew it was spelled funny, not Quik weld, Kwik Weld..... so dumb..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts