2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

Wiring Diagram for Power Folding Mirrors

28K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  Tristan-cx5 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I am trying to locate a wiring diagram/schematics for power folding mirrors.

I've download the Mazda Global Service Support (MGSS) Workshop Manual and have looked through the wiring diagrams that are available but it does not have any information (well, at least that I can find) in relation to power folding mirrors, only power outer mirrors (for adjusting the mirror position). Ideally, I'm after the diagram that shows the wiring from the power window/power mirror switch assembly to the mirrors.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

I've had a look at that thread previously but unfortunately it's not what I'm after. Currently I don't have power folding mirrors and would I'd like to install the OEM switch to provide this function (obviously having to purchase power folding mirrors also). I think it's achievable but not having the proper wiring diagrams is going to make it more difficult than it needs to be.

In the link you provided it mentions relocating/moving pin locations in both the 12 & 14 pole connectors that connect to the power window/power mirror switch, for example moving Pin 2E to 2M. However the diagram provided in the link doesn't even show Pin 2M so it's hard to tell what the function of this pin is. I'm sure there is requirement to maybe move pins and/or add additional wiring to the connectors.

#5 ·
Please find attached the wiring diagrams of power folding mirrors for a 2015 Mazda3 (USA). Hope these help somehow.
Thanks for the info. I already have those wiring diagrams from the MGSS Workshop Manual. The last attachment does not show the wiring for the power mirror folding/retracting, only the power mirror positioning (up, down, left and right). I'm still trying to work out what pins are required for the extend/retract. I'm thinking it's only two wires (switched to reverse the polarity).

I think there may be other issues as well. The mirror has a nine pin plug, however to retain all the features of the mirror and add the power folding I'm going to need more than nine pins.

4 pins for the Power Mirror Positioning
2 pins for the Heated Mirror
2 pins for the Blind Spot Monitoring
2 pins for the Indicator/Turn Signal
2 pins (???) for the Power Folding

10 pins won't fit into a 9 pin plug!

#9 ·
Thanks for the wiring diagram rixm6, greatly appreciated.

So it seems with my OEM window/mirror switch (without power folding mirror switch), Pin 2E is +12VDC, and the OEM window/mirror switch (with power folding mirror switch) Pin 2M is +12VDC with Pin 2E and 2K now connected to the power folding mirror motor for extending/retracting.

Pin 2E with my current OEM window/mirror switch has +12VDC applied to it and provides power to the mirror positioning switch (see attachment) to drive the mirror up, down, left and right. I'm assuming that pin 2M will provide this function when a OEM window/mirror switch is fitted (with power folding mirror switch).

Attachments

#12 · (Edited)
Yep, right again!

I have a power folding mirror here and although it has 4 individual wires coming from the up/down and left/right motors for positioning, there are only 3 wires that go to the 9 pin connector from the mirror. Two of the wires for positioning are spliced within the mirror loom.

I assumed (incorrectly!) that because the 9 pin connector for the mirror had 8 of those pins utilised, that 2 would be for the power folding, 2 would be for the heated mirror and 4 would be for the mirror positioning. However, that's not the case.

So after getting out the multimeter and performing continuity checks, this is what I've discovered:

The mirror positioning only requires 3 pins (as both motors share a common wire).
The power folding requires 2 pins.
The indicator/turn signal requires 1 pin (and shares an earth return wire with the heated mirror)
The heated mirror requires 1 pin (and shares an earth return wire with the indicator/turn signal)
The earth return wire requires 1 pin

So 8 pins all up, plus a spare spot. Which is a good thing because I'll be able to use that spare pin for the power to the Blind Spot Monitoring light. The BMS light will then also utilise the earth return pin used by the mirror heater and the indicator/turn signal.

Probably why Mazda used a 9 pin plug!

Attachments

#13 ·
My Mazda 3 is the XD Astina Hatchback (Twin Turbo 2.2L Skyactiv-D Diesel), which I've been told was the top of the range Mazda 3 available at the time here in Australia, and yet didn't come with parking sensors as standard fitment (which I've had fitted recently) or folding mirrors (hopefully one day it will!) so the power window/mirror switch currently fitted to my Mazda 3 does not have a power mirror folding capability.

I tried looking for the switch with the power folding mirror option for a BM series Mazda 3 but I could not find one, well at least not here in Australia. I'm not sure whether it was fitted or even an option on the BM Series Mazda 3 in Australia, maybe it was but I haven't come across one yet. I did find a BN Mazda 3 switch here in Australia which has the power folding capability, and I also came across a BM Mazda 3 switch in the UK which also has power folding capability. So I grabbed both.

In the photos the one on the left is the BM switch from the UK, the one on the right is the BN switch.

The BM has the power folding switch as part of the mirror positioning switch. With the control knob in the upper position (as shown in the photo), the mirrors are retracted. With the control knob rotated to any other position, they are extended.

The BN has independent rocker switch for extending and retracting the mirrors.

I'm thinking it maybe the best (and easiest) option to go with the BM UK switch as my Mazda is also a BM and I'm unsure of the BN pinout configuration. Although I do prefer the look of the BN switch.

Attachments

#16 ·
Excuse me, why did the BSM light up after turning the lights, but no sound? (2016 cx4 installation 2016 IC and 2016 BSM are prompt tone) (2016 cx4 installation 2017 IC and 2016 BSM no prompt tone) (BSM volume adjustment in CMU is not a failure tone) (but RCTA can work normally with a tone) Thankyou.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.