2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 3sGT hatch. I'd like to minimize wires from the center console. Has anyone tried a wireless charging pad for charging the phone in car, or have you used a small pad at home? I don't want to use a mount on the dash. Rather, I'd like to put a pad inside the center console (ideally on the upper tray) and set the phone on it when driving. That would keep everything tucked away, minimize clutter, and put the phone in a position where I'm not tempted to grab it and be distracted while driving. But then I can also have easy access and not have to deal with wires if I absolutely need it.

I know that getting the phone centered properly and keeping it from sliding off could be an issue. So here's what I'm looking for:

1. A size that will fit in the console, ideally on the upper tray.
2. Rubber or non-slip surface that will keep the phone in place and properly charging
3. Maybe a multi-coil design so I don't have to get it perfectly centered (but still small enough to fit)

Has anyone else done this, or have you used some good small pads at home that might do the job? Are there any brands or devices I should avoid? Any recommendations are appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
306 Posts
doesn't matter what car type you have or where you want to install. its DIY project you need witless charger USB PC edition. which it work on 5V. DC this you can feed it from CMU USB socket 5V.DC and the reset do it as you wish.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
doesn't matter what car type you have or where you want to install. its DIY project you need witless charger USB PC edition. which it work on 5V. DC this you can feed it from CMU USB socket 5V.DC and the reset do it as you wish.
Agreed. I know the type of device I need and how to use it. But I'd like some recommendations for specific devices so I can narrow my shopping list and avoid bad products.

So, specific questions: Has anyone used a pad small enough to fit in the car (even if you only used it at home)? Did it work well? Did it have a non-slip surface? Was it hard to get the phone centered? Did it charge quickly or slowly? Are there products or brands I should avoid?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Wireless charging causes the battery/phone to heat up more than wired charging. Heat will eventually kill or at least degrade a battery. For this reason alone I stopped wireless charging.

I got a couple of wireless chargers off Amazon. They have a rubbery surface that the phone stuck to fairly well. But when the pad get dusty, it no longer sticks. The pad has to be wiped clean with a damp cloth to restore the stickiness. That could prove to be a hassle over the long term as car interiors tend to get dusty quickly.

I also got a iOttie Easy One Touch 3 Car Mount that works nicely. I am not willing to give up the mount's functionality to get wireless charging. Perhaps if the charger was built into the mount I might reconsider.

It gets very hot here in Las Vegas, NV. Even wired charging heats up the phone to a point that I get over heat warnings when I try to use it. My solution was to carry a second battery.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The problem of using the built in USB jack in the armrest is that by the USB 2.0 standard it will deliver maximum 500 mA at 5V. Considering that wireless charging uses mutual inductance, you'll have a loss of power through the gap between the charger and the device. Most device nowadays require about 800mA and up to sufficiently charge if using even a single app while charging (I.e Maps, music..etc). This method means your phone can't be utilized while charging at all.

You'll need to get a 12 V to 5 DC converter setup and wired into the car for a sufficient charge for wireless charging. As mentioned above this introduces even more energy loss as heat generated onto the battery. So yeah, I dunno if wireless charging is feasible. Not saying not possible, just a bunch of things to consider.

·
Registered
308 Posts
The problem of using the built in USB jack in the armrest is that by the USB 2.0 standard it will deliver maximum 500 mA at 5V. Considering that wireless charging uses mutual inductance, you'll have a loss of power through the gap between the charger and the device. Most device nowadays require about 800mA and up to sufficiently charge if using even a single app while charging (I.e Maps, music..etc). This method means your phone can't be utilized while charging at all.

You'll need to get a 12 V to 5 DC converter setup and wired into the car for a sufficient charge for wireless charging. As mentioned above this introduces even more energy loss as heat generated onto the battery. So yeah, I dunno if wireless charging is feasible. Not saying not possible, just a bunch of things to consider.
I've mounted this in so no issues. :)
ORICO 5 Port Car Charger - Black (MPU-5S)_Car Charger_USB Charger_ORICO - USB Storage Adapters, Chargers, Hubs, and More

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks you all for the tips. I won't be using the built-in USB for power. I already have a 12V to USB adapter with 2A output, so power isn't a problem. I don't use the phone in car unless absolutely necessary, so even if the charge is a bit slower than by cable, it's not a problem.

I guess I'll just try a pad and see how well it works and if there are any heat issues.

This one seems reasonable: https://www.amazon.com/Choetech-T51...=UTF8&qid=1485450449&sr=8-5&keywords=choetech

It gets good ratings, it will fit in the tray, and it has 3 coils so positioning shouldn't be a problem. If I do get this to work I'll post a how-to.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yeah that would solve the draw issue. I only mentioned the draw limitation because the championway mentioned using the CMU USB ports. The other caveats can definitely be accounted for. OP mentioned reducing wires and being out of the way, so the 12-5V converter could be put under the centre console and can be spliced into the wiring for the 12 V charger which goes into the armrest console.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts