2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 198 Posts

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wanted to get a baseline dyno before getting the Dynotronics reflash. I got the straight pulls and weather corrected charts (see below).

My mods are:
K&N Intake
MSDS Header
Racing Beat ABE
Advance Timing Mod (if that actually does anything)

I was running 91 octane for this event. Where I had it done uses a Mustang Dyno.

Best run of the day was the third, we let the car cool down after the first two runs and I hit 166.8HP/165.7TQ ****Runs 1-3 were 4th gear, the fourth run was the only one I did in 3r gear

Attachments

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Working on getting videos up. Have a couple so far, and some pics of the experience.

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
It looks like HP continues to climb as you hit the rev limiter. I've always though that the 6200rpm redline seemed absurdly low for this motor. Yeah, it's got a long stroke, but it's not like an MS3 where the turbo becomes an obstruction over 5500rpm. I'm wondering what Mazda's thought process was regarding the rev limiter setting.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Forgot to add this: the torque graph also shows a pronounced hole in the torque curve at around 2500rpm. What's up with that? Could this have been an emissions-related tuning choice by Mazda? Odd.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Any guesses as to what a stock car would manage? This is pretty impressive.

And I hate the low rev limiter on the car. There is only like 2k revs left after that cam shift at 4200 rpms.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
It looks like HP continues to climb as you hit the rev limiter. I've always though that the 6200rpm redline seemed absurdly low for this motor.
It actually starts to level out, so it wouldn't have made any more. What is really sad, is this was my first time hearing my car WOT from outside. I liked it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
It actually starts to level out, so it wouldn't have made any more. What is really sad, is this was my first time hearing my car WOT from outside. I liked it.
The question is... is the motor wholly incapable of putting out any power above the factory redline safely? Maybe Joe from Dynotronics could answer this one. I'd be curious to know if this is something that can be remedied via a tune, or if the stock cam profiles are the limiter. Really, a 6200rpm redline is like a truck motor.

·
zoom~
848 Posts
Heat is a issue, any higher will challenge the current design.

Vvt is put in place with many purpose, but one of them is thermal efficiency.

There are future plans for this engine i suppose, mazda need to do a long term study first...and get funds.

So the 2.5 we see now isnt in its full glory.

·
College Zoom-Zoom
3,248 Posts
Forgot to add this: the torque graph also shows a pronounced hole in the torque curve at around 2500rpm. What's up with that? Could this have been an emissions-related tuning choice by Mazda? Odd.
Limit wheel spin? Ours cars make a good amount of torque stock compared to alot of other similar cars.

The question is... is the motor wholly incapable of putting out any power above the factory redline safely? Maybe Joe from Dynotronics could answer this one. I'd be curious to know if this is something that can be remedied via a tune, or if the stock cam profiles are the limiter. Really, a 6200rpm redline is like a truck motor.
You can raise the limiter. When I do get my tune, I'm gonna ask him if 6500 is safe to go to.

Wing, why did you do third and not 4th gear? I'm 99% sure our 4th gear is a 1:1 ratio.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
6200 is totally shorting the engine, even regarding displacement on it. one of my old cars had a 2.6 liter 4 clinder with a same stroke that redlined like 6800 without a hiccup..although.. the rods / pistons are factory forged.. dunno if that plays a factor into it

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Wing, why did you do third and not 4th gear? I'm 99% sure our 4th gear is a 1:1 ratio.
Only that one run was third gear, the others (1-3) were fourth. So the 166.8hp run was in fourth gear.

The only reason I did my bonus run (where I was driving) in third was I wanted to see the difference. Because the torque app picks up a higher air flow rate in 3rd

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So how do you like the K&N compared to the Simota?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App
The odds is the difference, I guess. At least I can get replacement filters now. But the KN heat shield is garbage, not even a child could get some of those bolts in those tiny spots. I emailed them, and go figure never heard anything back.

1 - 20 of 198 Posts