2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
War Eagle!
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have an issue with the auto headlight sensor trying to fall off the windshield? This started happening a few days ago when we started getting frost here in Georgia. Any sort of home remedy for this versus going to the dealer?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Are you talking about the laser sensor behind the rear view mirror? I haven't noticed mine coming loose.
If your car is still under warranty, I'd have the dealership take a look at that.

·
War Eagle!
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
UPDATE: Turns out the sensor is mounted on a metal bracket. That bracket was stuck on the windshield with double-sided tape, which failed. All I did was buy some good 3M automotive trim mounting double-sided tape at Autozone and stuck it back on the windshield. Just did this during lunch today, so jury is still out on if it's a permanent fix or not.

What is not so obvious is that there is a pull-to-release tab/section of the plastic sensor casing. That separates the sensor from the metal bracket. The pull tab is at the bottom of the plastic case. Also, to separate the wiring from the sensor you'll need to use a small screwdriver (or point of a key in my case) to press in a plastic tab there too. I may go back and take some pictures.

·
Registered
3 Posts
UPDATE: Turns out the sensor is mounted on a metal bracket. That bracket was stuck on the windshield with double-sided tape, which failed. All I did was buy some good 3M automotive trim mounting double-sided tape at Autozone and stuck it back on the windshield. Just did this during lunch today, so jury is still out on if it's a permanent fix or not.

What is not so obvious is that there is a pull-to-release tab/section of the plastic sensor casing. That separates the sensor from the metal bracket. The pull tab is at the bottom of the plastic case. Also, to separate the wiring from the sensor you'll need to use a small screwdriver (or point of a key in my case) to press in a plastic tab there too. I may go back and take some pictures.
Yeah please take some pics

1 - 4 of 4 Posts