2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first car and in just 2 months I got a cracked windshield. Safelite charges $600+. One of the Mazda dealers charges $1k+ . My car is Mazda 3 S Grand Touring (Technology Package)
The costs for me are too much. Any suggestions for what I could do?

Safelite will replace for around $300 but they charge $300 more for the sensor recalibration which is just absurd. And there is no saying if they will do it right or use a good windshield.

I could just get the windshield replaced for 300 and forget about the calibration. Also I'm thinking to drill a hole and stop the crack from growing and live with it.

Insurance won't cover it.

Attachments

·
Registered
219 Posts
It may be worth getting a second opinion from a local repair person. I have heard that SafeLight is quick to recommend replacing windshields since insurance often don’t complain.

I think you will be stuck needing recalibration if you replace it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In case someone faces a similar decision I want to say that I decided to go with Auto Glass Now. They will do the replacement (OEE) plus the calibration for about 412 including tax which is God sent for me.

Hoping they do a good job.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I had my windshield replaced after a log truck kicked up a rock the size of Connecticut last March. All in with an OEM Mazda windshield and sensor re-calibration my insurance paid out $771.44 as I have full glass coverage.

On my receipt it shows the windshield for a 2018 went for $441 with $198 in labor and the calibration paid an hour of tech time at $132.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got it replaced cost me $412. I went to my local Auto Glass Now. I wouldn't expect the installation to look like factory new but they seemed to have done a reasonable job. Some gummy stains on a couple of spots (not on glass) I had to clean it once I got home. I just hope there are no leaks. In my drive back home I didn't notice any change in the ambient noise of the car which is good.
They also did the sensor calibrations. I tested out the lane departure and radar cruise control they work as expected. I forgot to test auto wipers since I didn't want to put any water in it yet. But I think it should work.
They installed a PGW solargreen glass. The glass actually looks better than the OEM. I will post back if I notice any significant differences good or bad.

I am contemplating if I should get better insurance. Next time it happens I can get an OEM replacement. But that would mean one windshield claim a year to get back the increased yearly payment. It's all a sham.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I am contemplating if I should get better insurance. Next time it happens I can get an OEM replacement. But that would mean one windshield claim a year to get back the increased yearly payment. It's all a sham.
I'd definitely shop around....I'm only paying $3 a month more for full glass coverage.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Just wanted to add that in the future, if you notice and catch a significant DING in the windshield, I'd go to an autoglass place to get a quicky $20-40 repair to hopefully mitigate it spreading so drastically.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I'd have cracks in mine, too, but the safety inspector would not allow it. So, I was forced to buy a new windshield which was a waste because the crack was nowhere in my vision while driving.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is my first car and in just 2 months I got a cracked windshield. Safelite charges $600+. One of the Mazda dealers charges $1k+ . My car is Mazda 3 S Grand Touring (Technology Package)

Safelite will replace for around $300 but they charge $300 more for the sensor recalibration which is just absurd. And there is no saying if they will do it right or use a good windshield.

I could just get the windshield replaced for 300 and forget about the calibration. Also I'm thinking to drill a hole and stop the crack from growing and live with it.

I got a quote online for the windshield to be replaced on my Mazda three 2010. $268 all in and they did it in my driveway.

·
Registered
3 Posts

My windshield cracked 2 weeks after buying the car and the insurance company had to order it from the dealership. I got the insurance company to pay 1/2 of my deductible if they wanted my business they didnt calibrate the scbs so I told mazda i was having scbs issues and they calibrated it for free under warranty

·
Registered
2 Posts
Go ahead and do a replacement with the best price on the glass-only you can find and skip the calibration. The module mounts back to the same point on the car and should be fine in most cases. I found a dealer that was willing to do the calibration for about $85, if memory serves, but the technician suggested that I try this route first. Most times, it's not needed, he said. And that was the case for me. Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Go ahead and do a replacement with the best price on the glass-only you can find and skip the calibration. The module mounts back to the same point on the car and should be fine in most cases. I found a dealer that was willing to do the calibration for about $85, if memory serves, but the technician suggested that I try this route first. Most times, it's not needed, he said. And that was the case for me. Good luck.
Or you can get it calibrated under warranty

1 - 17 of 17 Posts