2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Vvivid Gloss black vinyl. 1" wide roll from Amazon seemed to get most of it almost perfectly without much trimming (aside from the rear quarter piece, which needs a bigger wider piece). You just have to be precise with placement, that's all.
Hey one thing I'm wondering about these wraps is the color. So, I've looked at the pictures online but here's the rub. My car is black and I cannot tell how the vinyl will look up against the paint.

I'm not sure if you know what I mean but black wraps look pretty great with all the other colors; the white and red vehicles look terrific! But having different shades of black next to each other are hit and miss. I've thought about going matte to offset the glossy paint but I don't know.

The black onyx or whatever they call it isn't even pure black. If the car was clean, I'd take some pictures but there are definitely shiny almost metallic flakes in it that are not even black.

·
It's never finished
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Hey one thing I'm wondering about these wraps is the color. So, I've looked at the pictures online but here's the rub. My car is black and I cannot tell how the vinyl will look up against the paint.

I'm not sure if you know what I mean but black wraps look pretty great with all the other colors; the white and red vehicles look terrific! But having different shades of black next to each other are hit and miss. I've thought about going matte to offset the glossy paint but I don't know.

The black onyx or whatever they call it isn't even pure black. If the car was clean, I'd take some pictures but there are definitely shiny almost metallic flakes in it that are not even black.
Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. My 2016 Mazda 3 was black and that sparkle was impossible duplicate. I'm also pretty OCD when it comes to getting a precise color match. My solution was to bite the bullet and finally just order color samples from the various vinyl suppliers (Vvivid and Metrorestyling). A slow process, but now that I have them all - it's awesome to put pieces right against your paint directly.

Of course, if you're just doing a chrome delete, this would be way overkill. Personally, I'd just go with a matte black. And if you're obsessive about "match matchy" like I am, also buy some extra and cover a few other areas with it - so it looks cohesive and has a "meant to be there" look. Just my opinion though.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Yeah, it sounds like we're both a pain... 😂😂😂. I'm glad I'm not my own customer! I have ordered wrap samples for my business, which has nothing to do with our cars and you're right, it's a long process and you feel like throwing away cash too. How difficult is it to do corners and curves? The things that I've used wrap on are all flat and small so I have zero experience with something like this. Thanks again!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Finally finished doing most of my early exterior mods. Pretty happy with how it all turned out (considering I did everything myself).

• OEM Window Visors
  • Roof Blackout
  • 19" Niche Ascari Wheels w/Black Satin Chrome & Chrome Tips
  • Chrome Window Surround Delete
  • Pearl White/Satin Black Chrome Vinyl Striping
  • Custom Roof Rack (modded and painted from 2016 version) and Thule Roof Box
  • Nano Ceramic Window Tint
  • Gloss Black Rocker Panels and Front Lip
  • Debadged with Rear Badge Partial Blackout
  • Tinted Headlights, Tail Lights & Rear Reflectors
  • DIY Splash Guards
"Looks like it's fast"... it's not.
Love the gloss black front lip and rocker panels! How did you wrap the front lip? Did u take it off of the car and if so, how do you do that?? Thanks

·
It's never finished
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Love the gloss black front lip and rocker panels! How did you wrap the front lip? Did u take it off of the car and if so, how do you do that?? Thanks
Thanks. I'm not gonna lie, the front lip wrap is a b*tchy job. Taking the front bumper off in this case would actually make it worse - as you really need a stable base to stretch and pull the vinyl against. It has a deceptively complex curved shape. Even though I've wrapped cars before, I still found it useful to watch some good instructional videos on YouTube. The key is to take your time and buy a high quality conforming type of vinyl. I used Vvivid XPO Gloss black, one of the best I could find - it took a lot of abuse and still came out great.

·
It's never finished
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Yeah, it sounds like we're both a pain... 😂😂😂. I'm glad I'm not my own customer! I have ordered wrap samples for my business, which has nothing to do with our cars and you're right, it's a long process and you feel like throwing away cash too. How difficult is it to do corners and curves? The things that I've used wrap on are all flat and small so I have zero experience with something like this. Thanks again!
Haha... yup. I was really happy with the end result, but yeah - definitely felt like I also threw away cash to get there. Samples ain't cheap! Companies should refund you - at least a decent portion - if you then buy your vinyl from them afterwards. But hey, what do I know.

Corners and curves are the worst part of wrapping, no doubt (see my comment above about the lip job). You do get better with practice, but that costs you more vinyl. Oh, and a cheap vinyl (ie. AliExpress or whatever) will make you absolutely lose your mind. o_O don't buy it... ever. lol

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks. I'm not gonna lie, the front lip wrap is a b*tchy job. Taking the front bumper off in this case would actually make it worse - as you really need a stable base to stretch and pull the vinyl against. It has a deceptively complex curved shape. Even though I've wrapped cars before, I still found it useful to watch some good instructional videos on YouTube. The key is to take your time and buy a high quality conforming type of vinyl. I used Vvivid XPO Gloss black, one of the best I could find - it took a lot of abuse and still came out great.
Great thanks, I just Recieved my vivid black vinyl from Amazon so going to attempt this on the weekend lol!

·
It's never finished
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Good luck. One more tip - give yourself lots of extra vinyl on all sides when measuring out a piece. If you don't, you might end up running out past the edge and come up short. It's due following to the curve of the lip. Happened to me twice and had to start over each time. Cheers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Finally finished doing most of my early exterior mods. Pretty happy with how it all turned out (considering I did everything myself).

• OEM Window Visors
  • Roof Blackout
  • 19" Niche Ascari Wheels w/Black Satin Chrome & Chrome Tips
  • Chrome Window Surround Delete
  • Pearl White/Satin Black Chrome Vinyl Striping
  • Custom Roof Rack (modded and painted from 2016 version) and Thule Roof Box
  • Nano Ceramic Window Tint
  • Gloss Black Rocker Panels and Front Lip
  • Debadged with Rear Badge Partial Blackout
  • Tinted Headlights, Tail Lights & Rear Reflectors
  • DIY Splash Guards
"Looks like it's fast"... it's not.
I have been thinking to put a new set of tires on my 2019.
What kind and size of tires did you set on it?

It looks great!!!

·
It's never finished
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I have been thinking to put a new set of tires on my 2019.
What kind and size of tires did you set on it?

It looks great!!!
I chose fairly inexpensive tires, as I couldn't see spending big $$$ when they'll only be on the car for 3 months a year or so. They're directional, an Antares Ingens A1 235/35/19. And can't give you much detail on them, as they were on the car only for a month last year (until I had to switch rims & rubber for work). They seemed fine though. Be putting them back on again shortly, I hope.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I chose fairly inexpensive tires, as I couldn't see spending big $$$ when they'll only be on the car for 3 months a year or so. They're directional, an Antares Ingens A1 235/35/19. And can't give you much detail on them, as they were on the car only for a month last year (until I had to switch rims & rubber for work). They seemed fine though. Be putting them back on again shortly, I hope.
Thanks for the information.
They seems to be almost 1" wider than the stock tires, any rub when turning?

·
It's never finished
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Thanks for the information.
They seems to be almost 1" wider than the stock tires, any rub when turning?
Nope. FYI +45 offset on the Niche Ascaris'. My dealer insisted they would rub, over and over again (as 225 is the internal OEM max spec) - even took me out to the showroom to try and prove a point... they didn't. I insisted they order them anyway and that they'd be just fine. And luckily after install, they sat perfect (imo) right to the wheel arch edge. Definitely no rubbing, even with a complete wheel turn at low speed.

·
Registered
196 Posts
About the roof wrap, I'm guessing you removed the shark fin first. How did you get the headliner loose to get at the mounting bolt and is there much risk of damaging clips while doing it?

·
It's never finished
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
A headliner is not for the faint of heart. I've done it a million times, as it's part of the work I do for a living. It's not difficult once you know the tricks. Even still, wrinkling a headliner and/or breaking clips is always a real possibility. There is a process to it - and unfortunately no shortcut way to reach the nut from just the rear. So even though I "could" do a full headliner drop... I decided it wasn't worth the effort or risk. Instead I just cut around the fin and left it red, which looks good anyway imo.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Cool. That was my inclination. Thanks for the validation. I did not trust myself to do it (headliner removal) and I would worry about leaving it to local professionals. As gen 4 is relatively new and rare around here, it's likely mine is the one they would start their learning curve on. Aside from the fin, the rest of a roof wrap looks pretty straight forward to me so I may well attempt it myself.
Thanks for your insight.

Is it better to do the trim around the fin with a test fit and backing paper still attached or during the stick down?

·
It's never finished
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Is it better to do the trim around the fin with a test fit and backing paper still attached or during the stick down?
During the stick down, but the real trick with the fin is to lay the vinyl down over it first (backing removed), then cut a small slit at the highest point and "squeeze" the fin through it, trimming around it as you go. Yes, it's a pain - but not as bad as you might think. I cut too big a hole at first and ended up having to lay in extra black afterwards, to cover the gap I made. Still looked ok actually, hard to notice unless looking for it specifically.

Here's a good YouTube link I used which shows the technique for laying a roof. I think he has one for the fin separately too, he is very detailed in his all explanations. My advice? The CK Wraps guy makes it look so easy doing this by himself... it's not. Having a second set of hands will save you a lot of grief, especially when trying to "glass" the roof in the very beginning. The deceptively slight curves and roof lines on the Mazda 3 roof made it a bit more complicated. With two people, it would have been MUCH easier.

Suggestions: 1) Buy lots. If you've never attempted a roof wrap, make sure you buy enough vinyl to do it at least twice. 2) Buy quality (Vvivid, Oracal, KPMF, Avery, 3M etc). You'll only end up hating life if you buy the cheap no-name stuff on AliExpress or wherever. There's huge difference in adhesives, air bubble release technology, color fastness and conformability - all of which are not obvious at the outset. 3) Go slow. I've wrapped full vehicles before and still screwed up multiple times. But as long as you have a solid plan from the beginning and take your time - it can still come out looking good. I did the M3 roof by myself in about 3-4 hours.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts