2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
It's never finished
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally finished doing most of my early exterior mods. Pretty happy with how it all turned out (considering I did everything myself).

- OEM Window Visors
- Roof Blackout
- 19" Niche Ascari Wheels w/Black Satin Chrome & Chrome Tips
- Chrome Window Surround Delete
- Pearl White/Satin Black Chrome Vinyl Striping
- Custom Roof Rack (modded and painted from 2016 version) and Thule Roof Box
- Nano Ceramic Window Tint
- Gloss Black Rocker Panels and Front Lip
- Debadged with Rear Badge Partial Blackout
- Tinted Headlights, Tail Lights & Rear Reflectors
- DIY Splash Guards

"Looks like it's fast"... it's not.

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
How did you gloss black the front lip, side rockers, and the chrome hockey stick on doors? I was kicking around doing Plastidip myself or paying a dude to vinyl wrap it. Do you like the Mazda wind deflectors, are they noisy at all at highway speed or rattle at all when windows down?

·
Thinking Loudly
32 Posts
How did you gloss black the front lip, side rockers, and the chrome hockey stick on doors? I was kicking around doing Plastidip myself or paying a dude to vinyl wrap it. Do you like the Mazda wind deflectors, are they noisy at all at highway speed or rattle at all when windows down?
Obviously not the OP, but...I vinyl wrapped the chrome window-trim for my chrome delete. And I love the Mazda window deflectors. Not noise with windows up or down, in my experience.

·
It's never finished
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Front lip is Vvivid vinyl - took me about 3 hours (and a bunch of cursing), not the easiest install, but worth it imo. The chrome delete was a piece of cake using a 1" Vinyl roll. The hockey stick part I had to cut by hand with a bigger piece, but was also pretty easy. I used a 2" vinyl roll for the rockers and skirt thing, went on smoothly.

I don't find a difference in noise with the window visors - neither better nor worse than stock. But I like them for cracking my windows in the heat when parked, without anyone noticing. They are much better than the ones I had on my 2016.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Finally finished doing most of my early exterior mods. Pretty happy with how it all turned out (considering I did everything myself).

• OEM Window Visors
  • Roof Blackout
  • 19" Niche Ascari Wheels w/Black Satin Chrome & Chrome Tips
  • Chrome Window Surround Delete
  • Pearl White/Satin Black Chrome Vinyl Striping
  • Custom Roof Rack (modded and painted from 2016 version) and Thule Roof Box
  • Nano Ceramic Window Tint
  • Gloss Black Rocker Panels and Front Lip
  • Debadged with Rear Badge Partial Blackout
  • Tinted Headlights, Tail Lights & Rear Reflectors
  • DIY Splash Guards

Just curious, but did you use your oem tpms sensor on the wheels or did you get new ones? and did you have any problems with the tpms when you put on the aftermarket wheels?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just curious, but did you use your oem tpms sensor on the wheels or did you get new ones? and did you have any problems with the tpms when you put on the aftermarket wheels?
I would like to know this too. I plan on ditching my stock 16 for some 18x8 rtx matte rims

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would like to know this too. I plan on ditching my stock 16 for some 18x8 rtx matte rims
Yea, I have some 18x8 with a +35 offset, on some eibach lowering springs and it's sitting pretty flushed. I used the OEM tpms sensors and for some reason the rear left wheel always has a problem reading. It would go on and off. Sometimes it would read, and sometimes it wouldn't. Had the dealership checked it out and they just said it might be cuz of the rims coating or positioning cuz it's the furthest away from the sensor.

·
It's never finished
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I bought Mazda OEM TPMS. Left the originals in the stock set so I can swap back and forth. No issues at all. I have a third set of wheels and tires (for winter) and was contemplating a cheap set of TPMS (433mhz I believe) from Amazon.ca for $96 (+ install). Having the warning message on is a pia.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts

• OEM Window Visors
  • Roof Blackout
  • DIY Splash Guards
Grats!!! Why don't I see 'lowering'(even just a tad) & front plate relication on that list?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
135 Posts
Front lip is Vvivid vinyl - took me about 3 hours (and a bunch of cursing), not the easiest install, but worth it imo. The chrome delete was a piece of cake using a 1" Vinyl roll. The hockey stick part I had to cut by hand with a bigger piece, but was also pretty easy. I used a 2" vinyl roll for the rockers and skirt thing, went on smoothly.

I don't find a difference in noise with the window visors - neither better nor worse than stock. But I like them for cracking my windows in the heat when parked, without anyone noticing. They are much better than the ones I had on my 2016.
Sorry to bring up a deadish thread but how is the vinyl holding up on the unpainted plastic?

·
Registered
312 Posts

• OEM Window Visors
  • Roof Blackout
  • DIY Splash Guards
Nice, thanks for sharing it! What did you use for the chrome delete?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Not sure about OP but I used Avery Dennison for my Chrome Delete and Roof Blackout.

I'd used Vvivid for my last car (cuz I was a broke college kid) but that stuff is thiccccc and had lots of tack.

Avery costs more but is super thin and easy to work with.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Not sure about OP but I used Avery Dennison for my Chrome Delete and Roof Blackout.

I'd used Vvivid for my last car (cuz I was a broke college kid) but that stuff is thiccccc and had lots of tack.

Avery costs more but is super thin and easy to work with.
Thanks for the input! What Avery product did you use? Any chance you have some pictures?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Thanks for the input! What Avery product did you use? Any chance you have some pictures?
Avery Dennison SW900 Gloss Black wrap.

A buddy has a wrap shop so I was able to get material from him.

Sadly I don't have proper pics right now, been waiting for a nice day and some free time to take the car somewhere scenic to take some good shots, Hopefully when I get the car back from the dealership for repairing a rim they fucked up during a balance and fixing the fuel door n weatherstrips.

Edit: Got some better pics
Wheel is refinished, fuel door replaced (plastic so it'll continue to warp) , weatherstrips are fine.

Attachments

·
Registered
312 Posts
Avery Dennison SW900 Gloss Black wrap.

A buddy has a wrap shop so I was able to get material from him.

Sadly I don't have proper pics right now, been waiting for a nice day and some free time to take the car somewhere scenic to take some good shots, Hopefully when I get the car back from the dealership for repairing a rim they fucked up during a balance and fixing the fuel door n weatherstrips.

I got these right now tho.
That's great, thanks!

·
It's never finished
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Grats!!! Why don't I see 'lowering'(even just a tad) & front plate relication on that list?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
I used to like lowering when I was younger. Now I prefer to keep it stock height for practical reasons. I attempted a plate relocation using a hideaway style plate mount - but couldn't find a place to bolt it on securely... kinda just gave up after that.

·
It's never finished
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry to bring up a deadish thread but how is the vinyl holding up on the unpainted plastic?
Holding up really well. The one issue I do have is that I've scraped the bottom on a few curbs while parking. My fault (and stupid curb heights...lol) but it is shredding underneath due to that obviously.

·
It's never finished
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Vvivid Gloss black vinyl. 1" wide roll from Amazon seemed to get most of it almost perfectly without much trimming (aside from the rear quarter piece, which needs a bigger wider piece). You just have to be precise with placement, that's all.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Vvivid Gloss black vinyl. 1" wide roll from Amazon seemed to get most of it almost perfectly without much trimming (aside from the rear quarter piece, which needs a bigger wider piece). You just have to be precise with placement, that's all.
Thanks for the information! Btw, I agree with you guys about lowering the car. They look cool with a "modest" drop but I don't like having to think about "can I clear that?" every time I come up against a speed bump, driveway, or anything else. The adjustable systems are not bad but fitting one on a car in this price range costs silly money.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts