2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car has a sleight buzzing sound on the passenger side once I reach 70 mph. I had my windshield replaced some time ago, and I'm trying to determine if it's a flaw with the windshield installation or something inherent with all M3's. Once I slow down to 64 mph the sound totally disappears. What do you think is the main problem here; wind noise or poorly installed windshield?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Hard to say really. I had some wind noise with my 3 at that speed but I fixed it by adding a little more weather stripping around the original weather stripping at the door seams. I doubt it could be the wind shield.

Try adding am extra layer of weather stripping that might help. A few forum members on here actually doubled up (2 additional layers) on weather stripping at the doors and the results are pretty good. I only did one extra layer and it made a significant difference.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Did adding the extra weather stripping affect how the door closes? Does it take a noticeable amount of more force to close the door?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That may be the way to go. I thought the side mirror may be a cause, but even with it folded the sound is there. The sound does change when driving in a cross wind as opposed to a headwind, so perhaps it's the wipers vibrating on the windshield. Mine must be an isolated case since others haven't reported the same.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Did adding the extra weather stripping affect how the door closes? Does it take a noticeable amount of more force to close the door?
I've also added a second layer of weather strip around the doors and the body like @Hawk94 did. The car does feel a bit more hushed on highway speeds and even up to 90mph it's not that bad. It's noisy but not bad. After adding the weather strip, the door does take a bit more force to close but after a while I'm either used to it or don't notice it anymore. Doors do sound more solid when I close and open them now, kinda feel like it's releasing pressure or something when I open the doors. Definitely helps but only to a certain point.

As for the buzzing noise at 70mph, I don't think it's the windshield, might be wind coming in from the window gap or turbulence from the side mirrors.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Do you have the link for the weather stripping? I couldn't find it...I do long distance driving on the highway so this may help.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Do you have the link for the weather stripping? I couldn't find it...I do long distance driving on the highway so this may help.
You can use any weather stripping from any home improvement store and I'm sure many automotive stores carry it as well. There isn't a specific kind you need for this little fix.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I used these...

I bought 4 rolls but only used two and had some left over.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
thanks for the link. So for the install did you just apply the new stripping right on top of the current weather stripping? Any issues with the second layer wanting to peel off?
Yeah I applied them right next to the original weather strip. Don't apply on top of it since it won't stick well, I just stuck it to the body of the car. It's held up fine, a piece did come loose under the driver door but I replaced it and has been okay since. I also applied a strip between the two door gap, right under the b pillar. Not sure if it helps or not but it's better to seal out any gap that air can come in. Some cars come with a weather strip there already too.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Thank you very much! I'll be trying this soon. Roads in LA aren't very good and road noise can be annoying at times but this seems to be a quick and cheap fix.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Would you mind taking some pics of your installation and showing it?

I'm definitely interested in this mod to hush down the car!
Did you do both the front and back doors?
Here are a couple pictures...

You can see I stuck it next to the original weather strip. I did it on all four doors. I stuck it around the doors itself and another one on the body of the car around the door openings. Also stuck some on the back door where the passenger and driver doors meet, to fill in the gap and stop some wind noise.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Looks like a clean install. Wanna do mine haha. Just to double check, it took 2 rolls to do all the stripping that you did?
Haha it's easy to do. I think I used four rolls total. Each roll comes with two stuck together so you just peel them down the middle and you get twice the length.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
That looks great,
You did it all around the entire door right? not just the top?

Have you had any issue of with the weatherstripping coming back off after openings?
Yeah I did it around the entire door, basically around the entire oem weather strip on both the door and body of the car. It's' held up fine, I did have a piece come loose and was hanging when I opened the door but I replaced it and it's fine ever since. Just leave doors closed and let it sit in the sun for a while so they can properly adhere to the car.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yeah I did it around the entire door, basically around the entire oem weather strip on both the door and body of the car. It's' held up fine, I did have a piece come loose and was hanging when I opened the door but I replaced it and it's fine ever since. Just leave doors closed and let it sit in the sun for a while so they can properly adhere to the car.
Ok thank you,
It's getting cold here, tempts don't get above 40s here. I will have to use a heat gun on low setting to set the glue.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Just installed one roll. But I installed it on the car, not on the door. Noticed the cool little "popping" (that might not be the right word to describe it) noise when opening the door. Sounds cool though and I noticed there's a slight increase in force needed to close the door but I think overall it makes it feel much more solid. Have not been able to go test it much yet to see if there is a noticeable difference or not.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts