2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the 16" OEM wheels from my 2003 Protege5 sitting in the garage and I've been thinking about getting snow tires for them and using them as winter wheels on my 2016 3 GT Hatch. Both sets are 16" and some internet research indicates that the lug patterns are the same so I guess the centerbore diameter and offset is what I'm not sure about. Does anyone know if they will fit? Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
5,676 Posts
I have the 16" OEM wheels from my 2003 Protege5 sitting in the garage and I've been thinking about getting snow tires for them and using them as winter wheels on my 2016 3 GT Hatch. Both sets are 16" and some internet research indicates that the lug patterns are the same so I guess the centerbore diameter and offset is what I'm not sure about. Does anyone know if they will fit? Thanks in advance
They will probably fit. You have the car, you have the rims, try it out.:dunno:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I finally had time to try mounting the wheels. Lug pattern and centerbore diameter are the same. Lug nut diameter and thread pitch are the same. Inside diameter is about 3/8" bigger on the old P5 wheels so brake clearance is fine. Rim width (bead to bead) seems the same or maybe a 1/4" wider on the 3 OEM wheels. I also compared the "depth" of the wheels by laying a stick across the inner bead and measuring down to the flange/seat of the wheel where it would contact the hub and there was only a 1/4" difference. I'm pretty sure they will work.

·
Registered
17 Posts
sorry to bring this thread back up.

I am also looking to get a set of used 2002 protege 5 rims for my '17 mazda 3 GT for winter tires.
From my research, mazda 3 can downsize to 205 60/16 tires no problem. But with the P5 being 16"x6" vs mazda 3's 16"x16.5" width, does the narrower width cause a problem using the 205 60/16 tires?
I'm about to order my tires once I confirm the deal with the used P5 rims so I just want to make sure before I do so.

And if anyone actually tried using P5 rims on M3, any issue?

Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update:
They work fine. The tire shop has book of sizes and compatibility information and they were able to verify that the 16" Protege5 wheels would be compatible with the 2016 3 GT and compatible with the correct size tire before they did the installation. They did the work and everything has been fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts