2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went to my manual and found no reference to coolant specification other than amount. I went to Zerex and it looked like the Asian formula was what I needed. But it is pink the existing coolant is green. Is this a matter of the newer orange being better or is it going to eat the insides out of my radiator? Gads, then more reading and this old car guy is amazed at how many kinds of coolant there is. Mostly I drive and maintain 25-50 year old cars and this 2010 is a new one for me.
Happy Trails,
Steve

·
Registered
385 Posts
If Zerex recommend it , use it. Color is just dye and there is no standard that ties a coolant color to a performance level or requirement.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
If Zerex recommend it , use it. Color is just dye and there is no standard that ties a coolant color to a performance level or requirement.
This could be about the worst advice I've seen on here. Zerex doesn't come up with the specs, Mazda engineers do. Does it meet those specs? I'm sure zerex doesn't care so long as you buy that jug.

Is this stuff ethelyne glycol or propoline glycol based? That's the first most important thing.

Multi application fluids aren't so great at meeting the specs properly. They'll meet the manufacturer minimum (usually) but may have other additives outside of the specs to meet other ones.

Keep in mind I'm not suggesting you should buy the OEM coolant. Only that you should get a coolant that is a little more specific.

The coolant in your car is ethelyne glycol based by the way.

·
Registered
147 Posts
It might be similar to the Gen 3s and call for FL 22 coolant which is a long life P-HOAT type coolant (ethylene glycol based with phosphate rust inhibitors). Your traditional green coolant off the auto store shelf is usually ethylene glycol based but using silicates as the rust inhibitors although different dyes are now being used for all sorts of formulations. Traditionally, Asian car manufacturers prefer phosphate over silicates in the coolant.

·
Super Moderator
5,970 Posts
Here is what Mazda has to say about it:

Seems the orange / green thing is more of a customer satisfaction issue than anything else.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies.

I can't find any published specifications or compatibilities from Mazda on its F22 coolant.

The Valvoline website is almost as unspecific. But it did show me that there are TWO different Zerex Asian coolants. Yup yup yup. They are incompatible with each other. One has a RED label the other has a BLUE label. I have RED. The word "Red" is not in the name of the product. The paper label background is red. There is a small chance this red label pink junk is OK for the car based on the F22 posted ingredients and warning below. I am emailing Valvoline to complain about their ambiguous labels and ask them if they will bear any financial responsibility if this junk attacks my cooling system. I'll bet that answer will send me to a bottle of Mazda F22; which I wish I had ordered from Amazon when this all started. I spent about 5 hours on this issue. The coolant cost is not significant.

At this point I think the Zerex Asian (RED label) is BAD for the 2010 Mazda 3.

One poster in another forum posted that the F22 bottle lists ingredients: "ethylene glycol based.... 55/45 mixture recommended..... developed to provide corrosion and rust protection.....boiling point 270 degrees, freezing point -47 degrees. Ingredients: Ethylene Glycol (107-21-1), Water (7732-18-5), Diethylene Glycol (111-46-6), Potassium Hydroxide (1310-58-3), Proprietary Inhibitors (NJTSRN 217)"

Another poster says the back of the F22 bottle says: "DO NOT USE coolants containing: Alcohol, methanol, borate, or silicates"
These posts are damning for the Zerex Asian RED label. I ain't gonna to try the Zerex Asian BLUE label out of spite.

FYI, O'Reilly web site says that Peak (Blue label and jug) Yellow 50/50 Antifreeze is compatible with the 2010 Mazda 3. But what do they really know? I've gotten so many incorrect parts over the last 50 years that I don't trust parts stores.

Oh and my Mazda 3 is the best car I ever purchased. I got tired of fixing cars for my son while he was in his first year at a university studying Chemical Engineering. I bought it new and it has never needed any work beyond maintenance. It got his mind off of the almost monthly breakdowns of his 20 year old Jeep. He finished with honors and a PhD! He drove it all through six years of school. And it is a peppy little thing.

I need some Balenvie tan label clear bottle brown whiskey.
Happy Trails.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Here's the page from the 2010 owner's manual. I know someone posted that FL22 is compatible with green ethylene glycol coolants but Mazda is possibly contradicting themselves as the owner's manual states not use coolants with silicates and there are many green coloured coolants which contain silicates.

Attachments

·
Registered
385 Posts
I thought Zerex were more competent than it appears. Zerex G-05 is one of the few non Mercedes products approved by MB for my SLK.

I had expected that Zerex would only recommend products that meet the appropriate Mazda standards.

I agree with the above posters, the coolant must meet Mazda's standards or it can destroy your engine and auto transmission ( leaks from the radiator to the transmission fluid).

I know from experience with trucks that you cannot judge a coolant by its color.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Steve, I think you answered your own question....besides this has been discussed on other threads and I spent a few hours as well researching realizing the best/simplest answer in this case was to get the OEM Mazda FL22.

As I have mentioned many times, if you only buy a car every 7-10+ years things change and particularly in the last 7-10 years. Take this as a good lesson not to assume what you think you knew then applies now, particularly to new cars, as I learned this very well this time around...I'm glad I took my time to research.

Back in the day it was only green and 5 year orange.

The question which has never been answered in all of my research, are if the other coolants which indicate they are compliant actually equal to the FL22 in regards to 10 years 120,000 miles if you are only topping off...In other words if you top off with one of the other so called compliant fluids are you compromising the 10 year/120,000 original Mazda F22 coolant in regards to longevity/life. No where could I find an answer to this question..

Lastly, why would anyone want to turn their coolant black by using a different color "compliant" fluid...this one really kills me.

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,265 Posts
Steve, I think you answered your own question....besides this has been discussed on other threads and I spent a few hours as well researching realizing the best/simplest answer in this case was to get the OEM Mazda FL22.

As I have mentioned many times, if you only buy a car every 7-10+ years things change and particularly in the last 7-10 years. Take this as a good lesson not to assume what you think you knew then applies now, particularly to new cars, as I learned this very well this time around...I'm glad I took my time to research.

Back in the day it was only green and 5 year orange.

The question which has never been answered in all of my research, are if the other coolants which indicate they are compliant actually equal to the FL22 in regards to 10 years 120,000 miles if you are only topping off...In other words if you top off with one of the other so called compliant fluids are you compromising the 10 year/120,000 original Mazda F22 coolant in regards to longevity/life. No where could I find an answer to this question..

Lastly, why would anyone want to turn their coolant black by using a different color "compliant" fluid...this one really kills me.
My last car 2007 Mazda 3 GS lasted over 10Yrs with the original radiator - with Mazda OEM FL22

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello,
Valvoline Product Support responded to my email questions.
They said the Red and Blue Asian products are exactly the same chemistry.
They said the Asian Zerex (both color bottles) are exactly the same product as F22.

Thank you all for the help.
Steve

·
Registered
385 Posts
Always reassuring to have written confirmation from the manufacturer, especially if it's a large organization like Valvoline.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts