2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've experiencing issues with standard brakes of my M3, so thinking about some upgrade. So thinking about small upgrade, BBK is out of my budget. MPS 3 or 6 should be much better than stock if fits. Even Mazda 6 standard brakes are bigger than Mazda 3, which I really do not understand. Anyone knows anything about such upgrade?

·
Registered
468 Posts
what issues?
the standard brakes are very good IMO
had to do a full emergency ABS stop from 110kph to zero, worked absolutely fantastically !

the stopping ability of any car (with ABS) is limited by the contact patch between tyre and road
once ABS is engaged, you are at the maximum braking capacity of that tyre/road combination
if you had Ferrari ABS brakes fitted, you would stop in exactly the same distance as with Mazda ABS brakes

you can only shorten that braking distance (once ABS engaged) by having softer compound tyres or a road surface with a higher friction

you can't adjust the friction of any road, so you can only get softer tyres

you are wasting money by looking to get "bigger and better" brakes

if braking distance is of concern to you, get softer tyres.......

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I've had like 1500km dynamic drive across few EU countries. Average 150-160km/h with many lorries on fast lane, so had to slow down to about 100km/h many, many times - nothing rapid though. And now looks like they overheated as there is a vibration when gently pressing the brake. Plenty of life on discs and pads, but I have to replace them anyway.
They will stop the car, but lifespan is unacceptable.

·
Registered
431 Posts
what issues?
had to do a full emergency ABS stop from 110kph to zero, worked absolutely fantastically !

the stopping ability of any car (with ABS) is limited by the contact patch between tyre and road
once ABS is engaged, you are at the maximum braking capacity of that tyre/road combination
if you had Ferrari ABS brakes fitted, you would stop in exactly the same distance as with Mazda ABS brakes

you can only shorten that braking distance (once ABS engaged) by having softer compound tyres or a road surface with a higher friction

40,000 km on mine and so far have done 3 sets of front pads, 1 set of rear pads and new rotors all round.

Drive em hard and they eat brakes.

·
Super Moderator
6,391 Posts
what issues?

Being able to lock up the brakes or activate the ABS really doesn't mean you can stop in a reasonable distance.
Larger rotors/pads provide more area under the pad, so more braking force is applied. The primary reason for bigger rotors and pads is thermal capacity. Small brakes heat up faster, larger brakes can absorb more heat energy before they start to fade.
It is possible however to shorten stopping distances somewhat by using higher friction pads. The trade off is high friction pads sometimes don't work well cold, make noise, make more dust and can eat rotors pretty fast.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I agree with a lot of the above, particularly the ability of larger discs to brake harder, more often, without overheating - but that is not normal driving IMO, and that was why i was asking why the OP wanted bigger brakes

if you have the higher friction pads, i also agree they can bite quicker, but only when warm

if you are doing an emergency stop with cold HF pads, it will actually take you longer to stop, as they don't bite initially as quick as 'normal' pads

my 2c

·
Super Moderator
6,391 Posts
I agree with a lot of the above, particularly the ability of larger discs to brake harder, more often, without overheating - but that is not normal driving IMO, and that was why i was asking why the OP wanted bigger brakes

if you have the higher friction pads, i also agree they can bite quicker, but only when warm

if you are doing an emergency stop with cold HF pads, it will actually take you longer to stop, as they don't bite initially as quick as 'normal' pads

my 2c
This is exactly why big rotors with performance pads are not really a good thing for the street. With OEM size brakes you can use pads with a higher friction coefficient and heat range because they will get to temperature and work better far quicker. You might actually have better real world braking with stock sized performance pads than huge pads and rotors that don't ever get warm enough to work to full potential.
That being said, you never want to run pads that need to be hot to work on the street. Most of these don't do anything when cold and braking capability will be near zero. There are decent fast street pads out there. These have a heat range better than stock, stop good cold and stop really good when warmed up.
Another option is drilled / slotted rotors. They do work contrary to many naysayers. A drilled / slotted rotor that is properly made heats the pads faster than a solid rotor and disperses said heat faster. As a result you can use a pad with a higher heat range to better effect.

·
Registered
468 Posts
and i guess that is one part of it

why even ask if they will fit, if their fitment won't achieve what you want........

what do you expect the 'better' ones to do better than the OEM?

·
Registered
234 Posts
and i guess that is one part of it

why even ask if they will fit, if their fitment won't achieve what you want........

what do you expect the 'better' ones to do better than the OEM?
Look, I'm looking for straight answer, will they fit or not.
Also no one can convince me that bigger brakes do not stop better, I have already experienced this with my previous cars and there are many examples of that.
So better stop arguing "do you need bigger brakes" and get back to the original question.

·
Registered
55 Posts
And back to the question, no one said will they fit or not?
The Mz6 brakes will fit on the Mz3 if you wanted a cheaper upgrade to your brakes. Not sure if it was this forum or another, but I did see somewhere that someone did manage to swap the stock Mazda 6 brakes with the Mazda 3. From what I remember, a 17" wheel at minimum is needed for clearance.

I would assume this is easy because the Brembo kit that is installed on the 3 is actually listed for the 6, not the 3.

If I can find the post I will share it.

·
Registered
383 Posts
The calipers and rotors will fit but you will most likely have to get custom brackets made to allow them to bolt up to your hub. The easier upgrade is like others have said about. Get mz6 front brakes and cx5 rear brakes if you so desire. You will jump up to larger rotors and have a better pad selection BUT you will no longer be able to run the smaller oem sized wheels AND the cx5 has had issues with their rear brakes getting stuck and eating pads. Whether that is a caliper problem or something else on the car i don't know. I was going down the mz6 caliper path and you can get them used for pretty cheap but you need new brake lines, the brackets, and pads and rotors and i needed to get the stuff done for inspection so didn't have the time to piece it all together.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've already bought new rotors and pads, so no upgrade this time. But next change and I'll get 6 and CX5 sets. Thanks for clarifying

1 - 17 of 17 Posts