2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For many years, I had my local Honda dealer take care of all of my 2012 Honda CR-V maintenance, including fluid changes. In the spring of last year, shortly after my dealer changed my oil and filter, I decided to clean my engine compartment. I was shocked to find a fair amount of greasy dirt surrounding the oil fill cap, which the mechanic didn't even bother to wipe off before changing the oil. Quite frankly, I would be surprised if some of the dirt didn't fall into the crankcase.

It also occurred to me that the person that's most likely doing oil and fluid changes is probably the least experienced mechanic in the shop. At that point, I decided to start doing all of the fluid changes myself. Not because I was being a cheapskate, but because I wanted to make sure it was done right. I went out and purchased the required equipment (i.e. Race Ramps, Torque Wrench, Oil Change Pan, etc.) and with the help of a few friends and YouTube, I'm now performing most of my own routine service. Heck, Honda even provided me with an owner website where I can record the services I performed, as well as the dealer-performed service.

Today, I had a conversation with a Mazda USA service representative, who suggested that by performing my own service I could void my warranty. Here's what he said:

Also, I feel compelled to tell you that all service is recommended to be done by an authorized Mazda dealer. If you complete your own maintenance and there is a problem with the vehicle in the future it will be difficult to prove all maintenance was done correctly which could affect warranty coverage.
Assuming I don't do something stupid, like forget to fill the engine with oil, will maintaining my own Mazda void its warranty?

To me, and perhaps I'm making too much of this, it almost sounds like this is an easy way for a manufacturer to get out of its warranty commitment. Quite frankly, I'm so impressed with my son's 2019 Mazda 3, and the fantastic customer service I've received from my local dealer, that I was considering moving away from Honda and purchasing a new CX-5 sometime in the near future, but now I'm not so sure.

One thing I've always been able to count on with Honda is that they'll have my back, and me performing my own maintenance has never been a problem.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Keep your receipts. If you are in US they are not supposed to be able to deny warranty work if you DIY. How that plays out in real life may be a different story.

·
Super Moderator
4,889 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act

Mention the above to that "Mazda Service Representative", and then ask this simple question: "If maintaining my warranty requires Mazda parts and service, please let me know where to bring my car for free service from Mazda"

Unless a manufacturer provides the parts and service for free, they cannot legally require you to have them service your vehicle or use their parts to maintain their warranty.

You can use any parts that are compatible with OEM, including whatever brand of oil or filter (as long as it meets OEM specs), and you can have it serviced wherever you like. If you do your own basic maintenance, to protect yourself just save your receipts and note the date/mileage that you do things like change your oil.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts