2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a new car to replace my old daily driver, and I'm interested in getting a Mazda 3 5-door. I recently stumbled upon a discussion about the quality of the paint on the Mazda 3, and that many people were dissatisfied with the tendency for the paint to chip easily and often. Is the paint an issue that I should be concerned about when buying a new Mazda?

I'm not expecting to keep my car looking like a showroom model forever, but I try to take care of my cars and keep them looking nice. My current car is a 13 year old Nissan, it's been driven 200,000 miles through construction sites, long highway trips, cramped parking lots, exposed to the sun and weather 24/7 since 2004. It's definitely showing its age, but in all that time I have been driving it I have never had any issue with paint chips. I've been hit by rocks on the highway, had tree branches fall on the car during storms, plenty of parking lot dings and dents... plenty of scratches but never has the paint chipped.

I don't know if that is a testament to the quality of Nissans paint, or to an older method for painting cars, but the discussion I read about Mazda's paint issues made it seem like the new paint is delicate and fragile and unsuitable for every-day use by comparison. So as I asked in the title of this post: Will I regret buying a Mazda 3? Will I spend the entire life of the car chasing and touching up chips trying to keep rust away, or are the horror stories that I read only the experience of a few unlucky Mazda owners?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts