2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new set of wheels and tires 18x8 with +35 offset and got it aligned and its making what sounds like bearing whine/grind/hum and am wondering if its because of the offset it is putting more stress on bearings causing them to make noise. Anyone else have this issue or know what to do to fix it? The two front bearings are new so I didn't think it would have that much affect on them. I see a lot of people running those spec wheels someone please help

·
Super Moderator
5,355 Posts
The OEM wheels are +50. +35 should not be much of a problem for the bearings. Unless of course the new ones were not installed correctly or are junk and have failed already.....you are sure its the bearings making the sound? What tires did you put on?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its possible that it could be something else, however the tires i went with are the same that my wife had put on her civic, nankang ns25 and they're super quiet thats why I got them... there's definitely no play in the bearings though and I've rotated the tires twice to see if it would help. It rides smooth as glass, just once you hit 60 or 65mph you hear the whirring helicopter sound

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT called Coffee.
2,144 Posts
Yes. 215/45/18 on a 18x8 et 35...

Lotta stretch..
CK

·
Super Moderator
5,355 Posts
Its possible that it could be something else, however the tires i went with are the same that my wife had put on her civic, nankang ns25 and they're super quiet thats why I got them... there's definitely no play in the bearings though and I've rotated the tires twice to see if it would help. It rides smooth as glass, just once you hit 60 or 65mph you hear the whirring helicopter sound
Sounds like it might be the tires. Do you have any way to put another set on to see if the noise goes away? Usually if you install something on your car and there is an immediate problem, its that part causing it....
They're really not that streched View attachment 276620
No, not at all. In fact most guys who do stuff like autocross use a wheel / tire combo like that. It makes turn in better and limits sidewall roll in hard turns. However, the tire ends up being stiffer overall and this may change the way the tire sounds.

205s on a 7.5" rim-

·
Registered
19 Posts
You mentioned that there isn't any play...I thought the same thing when I had bearing noise. Turns out the tolerances for the wheel bearings is INCREDIBLY tight. Like...less than a 10th of a mm or something ridiculous like that. When my wheel bearing was out I had absolutely zero play, but it was 100% bad.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts