2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Demon Spawn
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 GT hatch with stock 17" rims (no plans on getting aftermarkets, tires will already eat the budget for now) but the stock 205/50/17 size is thin, and does not provide me with many choices locally in tires, even tire rack does not have as much in this size as 225/45/17 plus the 225/45/17 I can get a lot cheaper for the same tire. example would be a tire I am looking at, and will probably buy if the 225/45/17 fits is Michelin pilot sport a/s 3+ tire rack has the 205/50 size at $150 a tire v rated or $129 a tire for 225/45 w rated (higher speed rating cant hurt, I like being able to do more) I have confirmed discount tire will match tire racks online price for these tires and has the 225/45s in stock near me. (discount wanted $160+ a tire in 205/50 for these) and $137 in 225/45 so I just need to know will the 225/45 rub, or cause any handling issues? I know its 20mm wider and 5mm thinner this will give me a firmer ride (don't mind the car already has one and I like that as I can feel the road and it makes for a sporty ride) and will increase tire footprint slightly so grip will go up some. I know it may make the speedo slightly off (that's fine) and it may adversely affect gas mileage, again that's fine.

I am willing to take these minor trade offs to get a better handling tire in a higher speed rating at a lower cost than the same tire in stock size. what I am not willing to get is tire rub either in turns or over bumps. I don't think with going from a 50 to 45 I would need to worry about vertical rub but more going from 205 to 225 I would need to worry about horizontal rub in the fender liners and stuff. can someone confirm 225/45/17 tires do indeed fit the stock 11 hatch GT just fine with no rub and if so what other effects on the car have you noticed? (if any)

·
Registered
215 Posts
KMS, I just put some 235/45 R17's on and don't get any rubbing. Hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator
5,247 Posts
I have a 2011 GT hatch with stock 17" rims (no plans on getting aftermarkets, tires will already eat the budget for now) but the stock 205/50/17 size is thin, and does not provide me with many choices locally in tires, even tire rack does not have as much in this size as 225/45/17 plus the 225/45/17 I can get a lot cheaper for the same tire. example would be a tire I am looking at, and will probably buy if the 225/45/17 fits is Michelin pilot sport a/s 3+ tire rack has the 205/50 size at $150 a tire v rated or $129 a tire for 225/45 w rated (higher speed rating cant hurt, I like being able to do more) I have confirmed discount tire will match tire racks online price for these tires and has the 225/45s in stock near me. (discount wanted $160+ a tire in 205/50 for these) and $137 in 225/45 so I just need to know will the 225/45 rub, or cause any handling issues? I know its 20mm wider and 5mm thinner this will give me a firmer ride (don't mind the car already has one and I like that as I can feel the road and it makes for a sporty ride) and will increase tire footprint slightly so grip will go up some. I know it may make the speedo slightly off (that's fine) and it may adversely affect gas mileage, again that's fine.

I am willing to take these minor trade offs to get a better handling tire in a higher speed rating at a lower cost than the same tire in stock size. what I am not willing to get is tire rub either in turns or over bumps. I don't think with going from a 50 to 45 I would need to worry about vertical rub but more going from 205 to 225 I would need to worry about horizontal rub in the fender liners and stuff. can someone confirm 225/45/17 tires do indeed fit the stock 11 hatch GT just fine with no rub and if so what other effects on the car have you noticed? (if any)

V speed rating is irrelevant for the Mazda 3. No way that car is ever going to go fast enough to require a speed rating of more than T or U.

205s have more than enough grip for that car. Too much grip is not necessarily a good thing unless you have some major suspension upgrades. Huge tires with a lot of grip can overload a stock suspension.
225s will fit but are too wide for a 7" rim. A wider footprint yes but you won't get any better grip or steering feel. The wide tires will roll on the rim. Sloppy steering feel and loss of contact patch will be the result. Wider is not better unless you have the proper rims to match.
A 45 series tire does not necessarily make for a stiffer ride vs a 50 series. That is mostly dependent on the stiffness of the sidewall. A 50 series with a stiff sidewall will feel a bit more harsh than a 45 series with a softer sidewall. The DWS06 for example has a fairly soft sidewall to provide a decent riding low profile tire.
I looked at Tire Racks selection of 205/50/17 and there are some real good tires. The Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 is good, the Dunlop Signature HP is highly rated, as are the Pilot Sport A/S 3.

·
Demon Spawn
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
:nerd:eek:k as per example i can get

FALKEN

PRO G4 A/S for $93 a tire at discount tire in 205/50/17 65k mile warranty H speed rating same tire is $118 a tire with a w speed rating in 225/45/17 from them 45k mile warranty

or michelin pilot sport a/s 3 (older ones not plus) are $133 a tire 45k mile warranty from discount in 205/50/17 y speed rated however neither the falkens nor michelins are locally available in the 205 size and the a/s3 is not offered in 225/45 anymore just the + from discount anyways

michelin pilot sport a/s3 plus at discount in 225/45/17 y speed rated 45k mile warranty are $137 a tire and locally available i already know they will match tire racks price of $129 for the same tire so thats a + there.

tire racks setup has more selection, but shipping and finding somewhere i trust to install them right at a good price the ntbs and firestones and other shios on the tire rack independent installer site have a bad rep here. only other place around i like is expensive plus the lack of free lifteime balancing and rotations makes buying from them less desirable but

tire rack has the a/s 3 plus in 205/50/17 for $161 a tire before sale (makes them $ 148 ) plus shipping of almost $20 a tire and then install i have to find somewhere.
the regular a/s3 in 205/50/17 is $133 plus $20 a tire shipping and the install crap too. they have kumhos i was considering but have let go of that consideration.
in the 225/45 sizing the price on the a/s 3+ for $129 each plus shipping.

i know somewhat about non factory sizing as the protege 5 i had used 195/50/16 as factory but pickings where very very bad and expensive so 205/50/16 was the option and had much better and more and cheaper options and it never had any issues with them.

plus speed rating has more than just speed in it, it also affects overall grip and performance as speeds increase. no the 3 will never need a y or w speed tire but more than it needs means the tire will be under worked, run cooler and not be pushed as hard in demanding situations, also typically when you get higher speed ratings lateral g becomes better as well due to increases in grip

·
Demon Spawn
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
KMS, I just put some 235/45 R17's on and don't get any rubbing. Hope this helps.
on the stock rims? do you get any bad sidewall flex or roll in corners? or any ballooning of the tires? did you raise the air pressure to compensate? how has the mpg and speedo been affected?

·
Super Moderator
5,247 Posts
:nerd:eek:k as per example i can get

FALKEN

PRO G4 A/S for $93 a tire at discount tire in 205/50/17 65k mile warranty H speed rating same tire is $118 a tire with a w speed rating in 225/45/17 from them 45k mile warranty

or michelin pilot sport a/s 3 (older ones not plus) are $133 a tire 45k mile warranty from discount in 205/50/17 y speed rated however neither the falkens nor michelins are locally available in the 205 size and the a/s3 is not offered in 225/45 anymore just the + from discount anyways

michelin pilot sport a/s3 plus at discount in 225/45/17 y speed rated 45k mile warranty are $137 a tire and locally available i already know they will match tire racks price of $129 for the same tire so thats a + there.

tire racks setup has more selection, but shipping and finding somewhere i trust to install them right at a good price the ntbs and firestones and other shios on the tire rack independent installer site have a bad rep here. only other place around i like is expensive plus the lack of free lifteime balancing and rotations makes buying from them less desirable but

tire rack has the a/s 3 plus in 205/50/17 for $161 a tire before sale (makes them $ 148 ) plus shipping of almost $20 a tire and then install i have to find somewhere.
the regular a/s3 in 205/50/17 is $133 plus $20 a tire shipping and the install crap too. they have kumhos i was considering but have let go of that consideration.
in the 225/45 sizing the price on the a/s 3+ for $129 each plus shipping.

i know somewhat about non factory sizing as the protege 5 i had used 195/50/16 as factory but pickings where very very bad and expensive so 205/50/16 was the option and had much better and more and cheaper options and it never had any issues with them.

plus speed rating has more than just speed in it, it also affects overall grip and performance as speeds increase. no the 3 will never need a y or w speed tire but more than it needs means the tire will be under worked, run cooler and not be pushed as hard in demanding situations, also typically when you get higher speed ratings lateral g becomes better as well due to increases in grip
You won't like the Falkens, not a great performance tire.
Older Michelins? I would be leery of buying old stock out of production tires.
The A/S3s in the right size would be good. 225s are a bit wide. You should also be looking at the DWS06.
The difference between a 195 and a 205 on the same rim is not much. On a 6.5" or 7" rim both are acceptable. 225 on a 7" rim is a big increase. It will work but whatever gains there are from the added width will be lost due to excessive sidewall flex and squirm. Raising tire pressure is not a fix or this. It might make the tires harder and less prone to unwanted movement but you end up with just that, harder tires that ride like crap.
The performance gains from using a tire with a V or better speed rating aren't really going to be what you think they are. Yes you will get some gains but not enough to notice on a cheap econobox sedan, which is what the Mazda 3 is in reality.
If getting tires mounted right is your biggest worry, just go to any new car dealer that has a maintenance facility. I get mine done at the local Chevy dealer. $110 mounted and balanced on a Hunter Roadforce machine. Never had an issue.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Oh, sorry KMS, I have aftermarket 17" rims (see my signature block below). MPG of course went down and I'm not sure how much the speedo has been affected.

·
Demon Spawn
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You won't like the Falkens, not a great performance tire.
Older Michelins? I would be leery of buying old stock out of production tires.
Its not really old stock, just that there are now an a/s3 and a/s3+ and i think the a/s3 is slowly being phased out as stock sells thats why neither site i am using has both in the 2 sizes i have looked at. the a/s3+ appears to have just come out withing the last few months or so and the tread pattern is exactly the same as the a/s 3 i went on michelins' site and inquired about the difference in the 2 a/s3 types and the rep told me that the + has higher silica to increase grip and cold weather performance, and thats about the only difference. and thanks for the recommendation on the falkens, they rate well but i was not able to find many on our cars so i was unsure about how they did as a sporty type tire. hell just about anything has to be better than these deafening firehawks the car has now god these things howl at low speed high speed, turns etc everything and dont grip worth anything. im willing to have a louder type tire if it grips well but the firestone does none of that and is loud to boot.

·
Demon Spawn
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
225s are a bit wide. You should also be looking at the DWS06.
The difference between a 195 and a 205 on the same rim is not much. On a 6.5" or 7" rim both are acceptable. 225 on a 7" rim is a big increase. It will work but whatever gains there are from the added width will be lost due to excessive sidewall flex and squirm. Raising tire pressure is not a fix or this. It might make the tires harder and less prone to unwanted movement but you end up with just that, harder tires that ride like crap.
The performance gains from using a tire with a V or better speed rating aren't really going to be what you think they are. Yes you will get some gains but not enough to notice on a cheap econobox sedan, which is what the Mazda 3 is in reality.
If getting tires mounted right is your biggest worry, just go to any new car dealer that has a maintenance facility. I get mine done at the local Chevy dealer. $110 mounted and balanced on a Hunter Roadforce machine. Never had an issue.
yeah i am realizing 225 maybe just a tad wide. the michelin and discount/tirerack site state the a/s3s and3+ will fit on a 7" width rim. but i do understand it is the absolute smallest rim width it will fit and this may cause issues. i agree with you all the 205/50 size is probably best since our factory width is only 7" i will probably swing by discount and see if they can get the a/s3+ in this size or just get the regular a/s3 i have used them before and they are great tires. and i really hate paying for balancing/rotations every 5-7.5k miles thats why i like buying tires at places like discount, they include this with the install price. ntb has dicked me around too many times so i will not use them ever again. the firestone shops have bad reps but i have had a couple good experiences at the local one when the ntb messed my balance up (they had cheapest roadforce balance price) and they did a good job. i am leary of the local mazda dealer, long story but really dont wanna go back there again. and yes i know that its not the biggest thing getting v over h or w or y on our cars, theyre not corvettes or lambos but i want the best tire my money can buy. the oe tires on the s trims are v rated so i really dont feel like dropping to h and would rather go v or higher (w or y) i know what dropping in speed rating under factory can do ask the protege 5 i mentioned i spun at 30mph in a light rain shower on new yokohama yk580s that where h rated tires (they are hard 580 tires) but i got v rated granted different brand but they did noticeably grip much better

anyone have any thoughts on goodyear eagle sport a/s tires? similar price and mileage warranty to the michelin a/s3s tread patterns are very similar as well

or continental control contact sport a/s? this is a discount tire exclusive design, but looks well rounded. again similar price and warranty to the michelis mentioned above i am using as kind of a yard stick here

·
Super Moderator
5,247 Posts
Its not really old stock, just that there are now an a/s3 and a/s3+ and i think the a/s3 is slowly being phased out as stock sells thats why neither site i am using has both in the 2 sizes i have looked at. the a/s3+ appears to have just come out withing the last few months or so and the tread pattern is exactly the same as the a/s 3 i went on michelins' site and inquired about the difference in the 2 a/s3 types and the rep told me that the + has higher silica to increase grip and cold weather performance, and thats about the only difference. and thanks for the recommendation on the falkens, they rate well but i was not able to find many on our cars so i was unsure about how they did as a sporty type tire. hell just about anything has to be better than these deafening firehawks the car has now god these things howl at low speed high speed, turns etc everything and dont grip worth anything. im willing to have a louder type tire if it grips well but the firestone does none of that and is loud to boot.
Its not the fact that the Michelins are old stock, its that they are out of production and stock is limited. If something happens and you need a single replacement tire, you may not be able to find one. So you'll end up buying a set of 4 because you bought out of production tires.
Those Firehawks do have a reputation for being noisy. I put Dunlop Signature HPs on my car because they are quiet and provide more than enough grip.

·
Demon Spawn
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Its not the fact that the Michelins are old stock, its that they are out of production and stock is limited. If something happens and you need a single replacement tire, you may not be able to find one. So you'll end up buying a set of 4 because you bought out of production tires.
Those Firehawks do have a reputation for being noisy. I put Dunlop Signature HPs on my car because they are quiet and provide more than enough grip.
yeah, and that's where I am at with it, the a/s3 will be gone by the time say a nail gets a sidewall and I need a new tire so ill be left either prorating and buying a set of a/s3+ or hoping they can find a/s3 still. I was looking at the Dunlop signature hp on tire rack but have no experience with the brand so was unsure of them. any thoughts on the other 2 tires I posted about earlier?
here is the page for the contis: http://www.discounttire.com/en/buy-tires/continental-control-contact-sport-a-s/p/19183

here is the page for the goodyears: http://www.discounttire.com/en/buy-tires/goodyear-eagle-sport-a-s/p/17097 http://www.discounttire.com/en/buy-tires/goodyear-eagle-f1-asymmetric-as/p/14160

or maybe even these bridgestones: (not a huge fan with hating firestones but are bridgestones not supposed to be better?) http://www.discounttire.com/en/buy-tires/bridgestone-potenza-re97-a-s/p/15463

any thoughts, I had those contis for a very brief time on my old protégé 5 (it got totaled less than 5,000 miles after they got put on) and they seemed fine to me on that car wearing 205/50/16s

·
Super Moderator
5,247 Posts
Your links don't go to any specific tires, but rather the Discount tire home page.
Anyway, the Goodyears are decent tires for good weather. The State cops here use them, and the ones I know tell me they suck in the rain or snow.
I don't know which Bridgestones you are looking at but the G-force Comp-2 A/S is supposed to be a good tire. That Continental tire you mention I have not heard anything about. I would be considering the Continental DWS06 or the Dunlop Signatures as well as the Michelins. The A/S 3+ is probably the best tire of the ones listed.

·
Demon Spawn
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
that comp a/s 2 you mentioned is bf Goodrich not bridgestone I will not use the comp a/s 2 that tread design causes a lot of vibration issues at highway speeds, at least it did on my 08 3, I had them balanced over 5x in less than 5,000 miles and only replacing them ended up solving the vibration issue, tread design is too aggressive. it looks great but drives like crap. the continetials I mentioned are supposed to be very similar to the dws 06 you mentioned but with firmer sidewalls. and I guess I will avoid goodyear then as I need rain traction. let me try the links again, see if they take you to the correct pages this time

conti control contact sport a/s: http://www.discounttire.com/en/buy-tires/continental-control-contact-sport-a-s/p/19183
conti extreme control dws 06 from discount diret site: Tire Details - Discount Tire Direct

for comparison between the two. its weird because my post above links work for me, weird.

·
Registered
215 Posts
KMS wheel size is 17x7.55-100

1 - 15 of 15 Posts