2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Will 16x8 oem alloys from a FD RX7 fit a Gen3 Mz3?

Considering running a set of 16x8 oem alloys from an FD RX7 (see link below) on my Gen3 Mz3.

All I could find on the forum pertained to running RX7 wheels on a Gen2 Mz3:
http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/2010-2013-mazda-3-skyactiv-wheels-tires/12815-fd-rx7-wheels.html

Specs for RX7 wheels (94+ "heavies"):
size = 16x8
bolt pattern = 5x114.3
et = +50
center bore = ??? (67.1?)
weight = ~15 lbs. each (again, these are the redesigned "heavies," not the earlier [92 or 93] 13 lbs. ones)

Questions:

-Will the extra 1.5 inches of width cause any problems? Rubbing? Clearing the brake calipers? Etc.?

-Anyone have any insights into these rims regarding their durability/quality?

-What would be the narrowest tire you'd recommend to run on these rims? 205, 215, 225?

Thanks in advance!

p.s.-Here's the set I'm considering: FD Mazda Rx7 Wheels 5x114.3

·
Achtung!
879 Posts
They'll fit just fine.

I would do a 225, if it were me. But any of those options would work. 205 might stretch EVER SO SLIGHTLY.

I'm interested to see how they'll look!

Reactions: nanxun

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They'll fit just fine.

I would do a 225, if it were me. But any of those options would work. 205 might stretch EVER SO SLIGHTLY.

I'm interested to see how they'll look!
Thanks, Loud.

Yeah, after buying those 17-in OEM alloys from the MX-5 this past spring, I'm now realizing that I don't want to really deal with the et +55 issue (requiring spacers). So, I've been keeping my eye out for something with an offset of et +50 or slightly lower (bonus if I can throw on some new rims with a lower offset and get a more flush look). Not sure yet if I'm going to pull the trigger, but have plenty of time to keep looking.

Also, going with a 16-in rim would allow me to save some money in the short-run by swapping my oem tires over to new rims right away.

After reading more about wider contact patches for tires (which help on cornering and braking, but not acceleration, correct?) I'm trying to stay as narrow as possible... so, maybe 215, if the 205s are too stretched on 16x8 rims.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback, as usual.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts