2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After several months with my new Mazda 3 I can say it's a great car, but I always encounter the same problem:

Wifi connection is too unstable , sometimes takes too long to connect , even when trying to do the manual connection "Network error" appears continuously.

The system version is 33.00.500 . (Spain)

After looking at several sites I have seen that if I assign Wifi channel 11 the connection works better, although unpredictable, sometimes it takes between 10-15 minutes to connect.

Another problem I encountered was able to select the wireless channel on the iPhone , this option is not available, so I decided to jailbreak my iPhone and I installed the app MyWi (not free) that allows you to create a Hotspot from the iPhone using a channel preferred.

After the above procedure wifi is more stable, although I decided to share my experience and I hope other users also teach some trick or procedure to achieve a more stable wireless connection.

Thanks and Regards

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have the same system version 33.00.500 (Slovenia).

In 4 months i never had 1 problem with WIFI on MZD Connect system.

I always use WiFi Hotspot from my phone - Samsung Galaxy Note 3 LTE and all just works (WiFi connect immediately - about 10 second when i run the car). All Apps which work with wifi - they work perfect (Aha, weather, live traffic info, refresh...).

Maybe is your WiFi receiver in your car damaged? Or is your phone the reason? Try with another phone first and you'll see.

·
Registered
26 Posts
All Apps which work with wifi - they work perfect (Aha, weather, live traffic info, refresh...).
Hi, Sylver

How do you use these apps? Do You see them on infotainment screen?
By the way, I'm from Slovenia too, my system version in 30.00.000 and wifi is enabled.

regards

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi ... I have never had my car connect to wifi ... using iPhone 5 running iOS 7 or 8 or using iPhone 6 with iOS 8.1.2 and MZD firmware version 27 and 33 (i.e., have tried upgrading car, phone and iOS to no avail). The car can see the phone's hotspot, I can enter password and the car tries for about a minute then I get the "network error" screen.

Dealer and Mazda Australia contacted also to no avail.

Has anyone had any luck connecting to an iPhone wifi hotspot?

Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Same problem. Have never connected to car's wifi with iPhone 5 hotspot iOS 8.1.2 and MZD V.33 (Sweden)

Samsung S4 works just fine

Hi ... I have never had my car connect to wifi ... using iPhone 5 running iOS 7 or 8 or using iPhone 6 with iOS 8.1.2 and MZD firmware version 27 and 33 (i.e., have tried upgrading car, phone and iOS to no avail). The car can see the phone's hotspot, I can enter password and the car tries for about a minute then I get the "network error" screen.

Dealer and Mazda Australia contacted also to no avail.

Has anyone had any luck connecting to an iPhone wifi hotspot?

Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
175 Posts
AHA work with your smartphone. You must have installed AHA app on your phone and connect phone via BT to your car. Open AHA on phone and add some stations/music you like. Then go to audio source and select AHA and thats it. AHA app will stream music to your BT audio.

The same is for stitcher.

Traffic info and weather - you must have connected service enabled (you must buy license). Than you must connect your phone with WIFI to car radio and in Navigation you can check Traffic info and weather around your location.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yeah Aha and Stitcher work as intended ... But issue is that car won't connect to the wifi hotspot

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Testing... Testing... 1, 2, 3...

There seems to be a clear problem to establish the wireless connection using an iPhone, and I could see that there´re enough users with the same error ( "Network Error" or " DHCP Error" ).

As I mentioned in my previous post, the trick is complicated because for some reason Wifi only identifies the iPhone while using Wifi channel 11.
This option is not supported on iOS, so the solution is to do Jailbreak and install one Hotspot app via Cydia: MyWi.

I can confirm that after this procedure, the operation is more stable. I always try to activate Hotspot before getting into the car and after about 2 minutes driving, both devices connect automatically.

I have sent a request to Mazda Dealer and I hope they solve this problem in a future update.

Hopefully this year Mazda surprise us with something new:
- Support for native Spotify ( such as Aha ).
- Waze
- Or better: CarPlay and Android Auto.

This week I've seen at CES 2015 that some manufacturers like Volkswagen have seriously opted for integrating CarPlay in their vehicles.
This looks like a great news, although we hope the current range of vehicles enjoy this great benefit and whether other manufacturers (as Mazda) choose to follow the same direction.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks Diego. I'm not really that keen on jail breaking my new phone though. Hopefully a new MZD firmware will fix the issue. Cheers. Rod.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have found a way to connect the iPhone be it 5 or 6. It is not particularly straightforward but it does work more often than not. If you perform a hard reset of the iPhone immediately prior to connecting MZD Connectto the iPhone ersonal hotspot. Reconnecting requires the same process.

Regards,

·
Registered
5 Posts
I got my Iphone 6plus with the latest iOS 8.1.3 to connect with wifi with no issues. The only time it had trouble was in my driveway when my phone was still connected to my home wifi.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wow ... sounds like you have a unicorn there! My iPhone 6 won't connect to wifi, but mine is v33 infotainment.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Phone: Motorola Moto G 2nd Gen. XT1068 DUAL SIM

Firmware: 33.0.500

Wifi does not connect properly! Network is in the list, but it takes like 10 attempts to get a successful connection. After I shutdown engine, connection is gone. It is in the list, but I have to start all over again with the password.

Only proper phone which actually connected perfectly was Xperia Mini Pro SK17i with Gingerbread firmware 2.3.5

Dealer is aware of those issues and have "checked" the vehicle. However I don't believe those guys, because they keep saying something about restriction in Finland. This is complete bull$#/t, because I managed to get it to work. Communication is not good, because other party does not understand the actual issue.

Can anybody please confirm which channel works? I have a rooted phone, so I am willing to modify sources.

Mario

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Using iPhone 6 (iOS 8.1) now works more stable after jailbreaking my device.
Mazda Firmware: 33.0.500

I´m using a jailbreak app (MyWi) and forced my device to use channel 11.
Now when I switch on the engine, after 2 min. more or less connects fine.

I believe this is not a restriction in your country, it sounds as a quick excuse to reassure the customer.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks for the info.

Of course it is not the restriction. They might as well tell me that all WIFI is forbidden in Finland. It cannot get more absurd. When the next firmware is available I will visit my dealer, but until then I will test the connection with different channels.

·
Registered
139 Posts
... After I shutdown engine, connection is gone. It is in the list, but I have to start all over again with the password...
This is a known issue of Android > 4.0. Everytime you start the hotspot function, the MAC address of the hotspot will be changed. And for the infotainment system it looks like it is a new connection, regardless of the same SSID.

I had the same problem with my Nexus 4. I bought an mobile hotspot to solve this problem.

·
Registered
44 Posts
... After I shutdown engine, connection is gone. It is in the list, but I have to start all over again with the password...
This is a known issue of Android > 4.0. Everytime you start the hotspot function, the MAC address of the hotspot will be changed. And for the infotainment system it looks like it is a new connection, regardless of the same SSID.

I had the same problem with my Nexus 4. I bought an mobile hotspot to solve this problem.
Hello there!

Thanks for the valuable info!

I have 5.0.2 Lollipop now installed. But however the issue still exists.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts