2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!

I'm a car enthusiast (I drive a 2013 CTS-V sedan with a MT) and have been pushing my wife towards getting something a little more fun to drive than her current Forester. We're currently in the process of trying to find a manual SGT hatchback and failing fairly miserably with the local dealers.

The short list has come down to the 3, a 4 door GTI, or possibly a CX-5 if she decides she decides to give up some of the amenities for cargo room. We're both a little hesitant to not have an AWD suv at our disposal, but we don't really haul much that the hatch couldn't handle.

Anyone else out there rocking two car seats in the back of a Mazda 3 without issue? I'm a little concerned about when I'm a passenger since I'm 6'2"...

·
Registered
578 Posts
Hi guys!

I'm a car enthusiast (I drive a 2013 CTS-V sedan with a MT) and have been pushing my wife towards getting something a little more fun to drive than her current Forester. We're currently in the process of trying to find a manual SGT hatchback and failing fairly miserably with the local dealers.

The short list has come down to the 3, a 4 door GTI, or possibly a CX-5 if she decides she decides to give up some of the amenities for cargo room. We're both a little hesitant to not have an AWD suv at our disposal, but we don't really haul much that the hatch couldn't handle.

Anyone else out there rocking two car seats in the back of a Mazda 3 without issue? I'm a little concerned about when I'm a passenger since I'm 6'2"...
There's a couple of people on here utilizing two car seats in the back. Also have you looked at the WRX? I'm sure you have, but still its AWD, more power, four doors, but its does lack in some areas though when compared to the 3/GTI/CX-5.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I actually came from a Forester (still have it) to the 3s 6MT hatch. I just use one car seat for my son, which is no fuss....typical car seat install and use. The only minor fuss is threading the rear safety tether between the back seat and hatch privacy deck, but even that is just a walk around to the hatch to sort it out. I don't see any issue with using two but again I haven't tried so.....

From a utility standpoint, the 3 has been pretty good...I move a lot of music gear and have had plenty of room. It is my "clean" car though so the Forester gets more of that type of use, having a roof basket and hitch as well, but I could apply the same things to the 3 (and might one day) when the Forester goes to my daughter.

My 3 was supposed to replace the Forester, and I'd say it's pulled it off nicely while being much more driver focused. Of course I don't go offroading and snow is rarely severe here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There's a couple of people on here utilizing two car seats in the back. Also have you looked at the WRX? I'm sure you have, but still its AWD, more power, four doors, but its does lack in some areas though when compared to the 3/GTI/CX-5.
If it was still available in a hatch it would certainly be on the list, and may even be the front runner. However, we want to be able to haul some things with a little more height from time to time.

A used one could be considered, but they hold their resale so well that I just don't feel there's much savings buying used. Then there's also the factor of how a WRX was treated by the previous owner. Then there's also the gas mileage, which I don't really care about, but the wife would like to do better than her Forester.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I actually came from a Forester (still have it) to the 3s 6MT hatch. I just use one car seat for my son, which is no fuss....typical car seat install and use. The only minor fuss is threading the rear safety tether between the back seat and hatch privacy deck, but even that is just a walk around to the hatch to sort it out. I don't see any issue with using two but again I haven't tried so.....

From a utility standpoint, the 3 has been pretty good...I move a lot of music gear and have had plenty of room. It is my "clean" car though so the Forester gets more of that type of use, having a roof basket and hitch as well, but I could apply the same things to the 3 (and might one day) when the Forester goes to my daughter.

My 3 was supposed to replace the Forester, and I'd say it's pulled it off nicely while being much more driver focused. Of course I don't go offroading and snow is rarely severe here.
Thanks for the insight. How far back are you able to have the seats on the side your son is on?

·
Registered
659 Posts
Thanks for the insight. How far back are you able to have the seats on the side your son is on?
Glad to pass along the info - My son is 4 years old (just turned), so pretty far back. All the way back is doable, meaning his legs will fit, but it's not ideal. A couple notches forward and he's got some leg room and my wife (average sized woman) has plenty of room up front. At 6'3", i'd be OK, not great, in the same seat position. But being tall in just about every car i like to move the seat all the way back, even as driver.

I actually bought some "seat kickers" to hang on the back of the front seats so when he inevitably gets restless feet, the backs of the seat don't take damage - otherwise i'd be wanting to really move up the seat out of kicking range. Really good investment for those with children.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts