2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep a 64GB USB flash drive installed in one of the slots which has about 600 MP3 albums on it. About half the time after I've shut off the car and get back in and going again the audio will resume exactly where it left off. But the other half of the time when I start the car back up the audio will revert back to the first track on the USB drive. So it's either doing what it supposed do, and the other time it launches the exact same track. Anyone got some suggestions for fixing this glitch or what might be causing it?

·
Registered
245 Posts
That's a common problem. Try a different USB drive first. I have a similar amount of music, and in my experience certain drives have this problem more often than others. I had a 16GB USB2 Transcend drive that had this problem a lot (at least 2-3 times a week). Now I use a 32GB USB3 Samsung and it only happens about once a month. Other people may be able to suggest a drive that works well.

You could also try updating your infotainment firmware. Do you know what version you have? Either v55.00.760 or v59.00.441 have been the most stable for me (I'm in the USA... If you're in a different part of the world then your version numbers will be different). Earlier versions (before v55) had more problems.

If you don't have the most recent version, and you don't feel comfortable updating it yourself, then you can have a dealership do it for you. Just go in and tell them that you're having problems with some music playback and they should do the update as a warranty issue for free. It should take less than an hour.

Good luck.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had been using v55.00.760 since shortly after I got the car last year and the problem existed. I recently updated to v59.00.441 and the problem was still there. I had to roll back to v55.00.760 though because the newer one resulted in the hanging "loading navigation" screen.

My USB drive is also Samsung. Maybe I'll try another. But I hope it's something that just gets fixed with a future update or patch.

Anyone else ever have this problem and find a particular (large) USB drive that fixed it?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Not quite the same problem, but my biggest issue with the USB drive is the display of album covers. Sometimes they show up, sometimes they don't. Going to have to figure what's happening.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not quite the same problem, but my biggest issue with the USB drive is the display of album covers. Sometimes they show up, sometimes they don't. Going to have to figure what's happening.
That may simply be a matter of some mp3 files have the album art embedded in the tags/file, others don't. Some players only display the album art in those cases, not when the album art is in a separate jpg file in the same folder.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Agreed with reply above. Use a program like Windows Media Player (other programs work too) to embed an album art image into the MP3 file. Then it will always show up correctly in the Mazda display.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Thanks for advice, once I get my new computer up and running, I'll attempt to fix the problem

·
Registered
136 Posts
If you haven't tried this yet, then I would suggest using a USB2.0 thumb drive. In my experience, I use a 32gb USB2.0 drive and I have never had this problem.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I keep a 64GB USB flash drive installed in one of the slots which has about 600 MP3 albums on it. About half the time after I've shut off the car and get back in and going again the audio will resume exactly where it left off. But the other half of the time when I start the car back up the audio will revert back to the first track on the USB drive. So it's either doing what it supposed do, and the other time it launches the exact same track. Anyone got some suggestions for fixing this glitch or what might be causing it?
Cool music stick idea, what folder structure is needed on the USB for the car to recognize the songs?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cool music stick idea, what folder structure is needed on the USB for the car to recognize the songs?

I have only mp3s on that usb stick (and probably some cover jpgs and txt info files). I *think* the system scans the drive and finds the playable files regardless of the folder structure. Because 99% of the music on my drive is jazz I have a folder structure based on the instrument of the session leader and then individual folders within for each album. That's how they are organized/displayed when I view in the Mazda using the "folder" view.

That's also the fastest btw, it seems to take the system a lot longer to scan the tags of 600+ albums to sort by artist or track name.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Maybe some answers

I have had the USB playback reverting to the first track problem since I got the car (about 15 months). To cut a long story short, different USB sticks didn't seem to make a difference.......... until the Firmware update 59.00.502 - which specifically dealt with some USB issues. Since update, apart from a few glitches - the problem is 90% solved. It does have a few quirks with shuffling tracks (Random) ..... but that's a minor issue.

Regarding Album Art. The new Firmware seems more fussy about this. I have found that Embedded Album Art shows fine ...UNLESS .... the jpeg image is a Progressive Scan image (mostly for internet use). If it doesn't find a valid embedded Album Art, it sometimes shows a generic picture of the Artist, or nothing at all.

Hope this helps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts