2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've been digging around in the firmware files and I noticed a new 10-local.rules under the /etc/udev/rules.d/ folder which tells the system to create a symlink for certain devices(in this case I believe they must be the USB hub) with a specific vendor type
Code:
ACTION=="add", ATTRS{idVendor}=="04da", ATTRS{idProduct}=="3212", SYMLINK+="ACMX65HA"
is the specific rule from v70.00.100A, curiously in v59.00.546A it is this
Code:
ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="tty", ATTRS{idVendor}=="0451", ATTRS{idProduct}=="3410", SYMLINK+="ttyDRUNIT"
and in 59.00.441A there is no 10-local.rules, I'm wondering if you add a rule that links the older hub by vendor/ product ID to the new symlink if that will enable carplay and official android auto without the need to update the hub.

Anyone with SSH access able to test this theory? Need to verify that the older hub is indeed identified as the 0451 vendor and 3410 product and then replace or append the symlink?

·
Registered
41 Posts
The new hub is mostly for power delivery.. It adds more Amp to the usb charger. Other than that I don't think there is any specific need to make CarPlay run

·
Registered
827 Posts
There is another need: Apple CarPlay does not work with a hub between the iPhone and the MZD ("old hub"). That`s why the new hub has the top usb slot not designed as hub, but as a direct connection (OTG) to the MZD. As far as I know this restriction is not relevant for Android Auto.

·
Registered
16 Posts
@onlyoneskwalla @Tristan-cx5 @Erzgheiz
So my current cmu system is on fw59.00.502 with an old usb hub mazda running aio andriod auto v11.1 with touch enabled n navigation directions on HUD using andriod phone. If i just wanted to use an official Android auto on "fw70.00.100" with my old usb hub and my andriod phone (no need for carplay as i dont use iPhone) i will lose HUD Android auto directions.
Steps are:
1. Do the upgrade to fw70.00.100 (id7v1 hack should remain).
2. Serial in with securecrt7 login to cmu with root# and add in
Code:
ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="tty", ATTRS{idVendor}=="0451", ATTRS{idProduct}=="3410", SYMLINK+="ttyDRUNIT" to enable fw70 read connection/data from old usb hub with andriod phone only.
2.1 or replace
Code:
ACTION=="add", ATTRS{idVendor}=="0451", ATTRS{idProduct}=="3410", SYMLINK+="ACMX65HA"
Or
Code:
ACTION=="add", ATTRS{idVendor}=="0451", ATTRS{idProduct}=="3410", SYMLINK+="ttyDRUNIT"
3. Reboot cmu an official Android auto on fw70 should open with my old usb hub when my andriod phone is connected thru usb1 or usb2? & Install aio tweaks touch enable (hopefully can use touch on an official Android auto fw70 with this mod code with old usb hub) and will try to install unofficial andriod auto too n hope no compatibility issues if i wanted to use navigation directions on HUD? Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is another need: Apple CarPlay does not work with a hub between the iPhone and the MZD ("old hub"). That`s why the new hub has the top usb slot not designed as hub, but as a direct connection (OTG) to the MZD. As far as I know this restriction is not relevant for Android Auto.

View attachment 274839
No I completely get that they included an extra usb and separate usb wire connection and that this new usb link is symlinked to the acmx65ha which is how the software likely refers to the new hub. All I'm saying is the software shouldn't care which usb device is on the other end so long as it has a symlink to this name.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@onlyoneskwalla @Tristan-cx5 @Erzgheiz
So my current cmu system is on fw59.00.502 with an old usb hub mazda running aio andriod auto v11.1 with touch enabled n navigation directions on HUD using andriod phone. If i just wanted to use an official Android auto on "fw70.00.100" with my old usb hub and my andriod phone (no need for carplay as i dont use iPhone) i will lose HUD Android auto directions.
Steps are:
1. Do the upgrade to fw70.00.100 (id7v1 hack should remain).
2. Serial in with securecrt7 login to cmu with root# and add in
Code:
ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="tty", ATTRS{idVendor}=="0451", ATTRS{idProduct}=="3410", SYMLINK+="ttyDRUNIT" to enable fw70 read connection/data from old usb hub with andriod phone only.
2.1 or replace
Code:
ACTION=="add", ATTRS{idVendor}=="0451", ATTRS{idProduct}=="3410", SYMLINK+="ACMX65HA"
Or
Code:
ACTION=="add", ATTRS{idVendor}=="0451", ATTRS{idProduct}=="3410", SYMLINK+="ttyDRUNIT"
3. Reboot cmu an official Android auto on fw70 should open with my old usb hub when my andriod phone is connected thru usb1 or usb2? & Install aio tweaks touch enable (hopefully can use touch on an official Android auto fw70 with this mod code with old usb hub) and will try to install unofficial andriod auto too n hope no compatibility issues if i wanted to use navigation directions on HUD? Thanks.
I'm not entirely certain that the v59 code refers to the older gen hub or perhaps a testing version of a connector that they may have been using in the build before finalizing a hardware vendor, the vendor id of 0451 refers to Texas Instruments and 04da says that is Panasonic. Don't know if that matches the actual chip manufacturers for the respective hubs. I'm going to attempt an upgrade to v70.00.100 and then load a modified 10-local.rules after I get the chance to look at the lsusb output and such, seeing as I don't have a 'new' hub could anyone that does have one installed send the output of their lsusb provided they have ssh access?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From my currently live v59 firmware system I went and connected some devices to see them on the system, 1d6b is the usb from the CMU to the hub, 0424 is the sd card reader and card, 18d1 is a google device in this case my samsung s9, and 05dc is a lexar usb drive I plugged in just to see how it identified all hub spaces. Unfortunately I don't have an Iphone to test the carplay aspect but I will test the official android auto aspect once I upload v70.00.100 however I may tryout to see what linking 1d6b:0002 to the ttyDRUNIT does on this firmware.
Code:
/etc/udev/rules.d # lsusb
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0424:2640
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 0424:4040
Bus 002 Device 008: ID 18d1:2d00
Bus 002 Device 005: ID 05dc:c75c

·
Registered
16 Posts
@onlyoneskwalla thanks. I have yet to upgrade from fw59.00.502 to fw70.00.100. I'll wait until you have successfully connected your s9 to an official Android auto on fw70.00.100 with your modified 10-local.rules with the old usb hub. Can't wait to see your outcome maybe u can post some photos. Any chance u could share your success if it works? Please write/upload script modified version of your 10-local.rules to help others that do not have "new" usb hub. Really appreciated it.

·
Registered
827 Posts
@onlyoneskwalla : I have 70.00.335 EU and the new usb hub installed. I can SSH into the CMU. Please tell me exactly which command I need to run for you in putty. Or which file you need. I am not a linux guy, but I can run commands, if I know which ones and would like to help you. Do I just have to enter
Code:
/etc/udev/rules.d # lsusb
in putty? Or is lsusb a file which you need?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yes just in putty will work, lsusb please with either android auto or carplay device plugged in, this will help me understand how the device is behaving. I believe they are using a system similar to AllGo | CarPlay OTG Hub and Adaptor for the new hub and the ACM is just a driver that allows the system(CMU) to behave in devices mode when the android or iphone acts as a host usb device. I'm thinking a rule to add google and iphone devices to the symlink is the ticket to work could you also check the with entering
Code:
ls /dev/ACMX65HA*
in putty to see if and how the devices actually show up there when plugged in?

·
Registered
827 Posts
My findings (70.00.335 EU, SSH via WiFi, Nav-SD inserted, no USB-Device connected, but the USB-C cable for AA, but no smartphone, original Mazda AA/CP with new USB hub is installed):
Code:
/tmp/root # /etc/udev/rules.d # lsusb
-sh: /etc/udev/rules.d: Permission denied
/tmp/root # lsusb
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0508:b001
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0508:b002
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 0508:b000
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:2530
/tmp/root #
And the content of my 10-local.rules file is:
Code:
ACTION=="add", ATTRS{idVendor}=="04da", ATTRS{idProduct}=="3212", SYMLINK+="ACMX65HA"
... will do further testing with connected devices later. Sorry, just saw your last post now.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Your code
Code:
ls /dev/ACMX65HA*
does not work. It always responds:
Code:
/tmp/root # ls /dev/ACMX65HA*
ls: /dev/ACMX65HA*: No such file or directory
... also when I run this code in dev- or udev-folder or without *.

With a connected iPhone 7 / CP active (+inserted Nav-SD) lsusb says:
Code:
/tmp/root # lsusb
/tmp/root #
With a connected Samsung S9 / AA active (+inserted Nav-SD) lsusb says:
Code:
/tmp/root # lsusb
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 0508:b002
Bus 001 Device 007: ID 0424:2530
Bus 001 Device 009: ID 18d1:2d00
/tmp/root #

·
Registered
827 Posts
@tarekkkkk : It would be great to get the code of your "10-local.rules" file, which is located in folder /etc/udev/rules.d/ - you could open the file with any editor like Notepad++. Afterwards you could try to change/overwrite the content of the file to "the other" code (not the one you already have in that file) mentioned in post #1. Make a backup before. And then have a look at the MZD menu, if AA or CP appears as list entry and try if it works with an Android phone with installed AA app or with an iPhone.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I just did a test out of curiosity: I have FW 70.00.335 EU and new hub installed. I changed the content of the file "10-local.rules" to the code which was mentioned in post #1 for FW 59.00.546 & rebooted the MZD/CMU:
Code:
ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="tty", ATTRS{idVendor}=="0451", ATTRS{idProduct}=="3410", SYMLINK+="ttyDRUNIT"
Result:
Apple Carplay and Android Auto are still visible in the apps list of the MZD.
Apple Carplay and Android Auto started - as before with the other code mentioned in post#1 for FW 70.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just did a test out of curiosity: I have FW 70.00.335 EU and new hub installed. I changed the content of the file "10-local.rules" to the code which was mentioned in post #1 for FW 59.00.546 & rebooted the MZD/CMU:
Code:
Result:
Apple Carplay and Android Auto are still visible in the apps list of the MZD.
Apple Carplay and Android Auto started - as before with the other code mentioned in post#1 for FW 70.
@Tristan-cx5 thats the best news ever! So excited, i cant wait to try it on my cx5 with s8 using old usb hub with the modified 10-local rules on fw70 once i upgraded from fw59, but u tested with "new usb hub" im worry old usb hub might not work. How did u move the file out of cmu directories and move/copied new modified file into the same directory in putty/securecrt7? Step by steps Command used? Thanks. Or a scritp zip file if u could so i can just put on a usb n run it to test.

·
Registered
827 Posts
We all hope, that it works with FW 70 and old hub, but it might not work... we will know that after a test.

I am not a pro using putty/linux, so it might not be the perfect way to do it & I am happy to read about improvements. Thats how I changed the files:
1. Open WiFi Hotspot at Smartphone. Connect Laptop/Notebook and MZD to it. Check Smartphone HotSpot to evaluate IP of MZD.
2. Open Putty & connect with cmu/jci. Then copy/paste this code via right mouse click in active putty window (and press enter afterwards):
Code:
mount -o rw, remount /
- I think this enables you to read & write.
3. Open WinSCP and also connect to the IP of the CMU via SSH. WinSCP is a graphical interface like the windows explorer. Browse to the directory "/etc/udev/rules.d/", copy the file "10-local.rules" via drag&drop to your harddrive of the laptop/notebook which is on the left in WinSCP.
4. Windows Explorer: Make a backup of the original file and modify the file via an editor like e.g. notepad++, replace the code with the "other" code from post #1, save the file.
5. Go back to WinSCP and overwrite the "10-local.rules" file with the modified one via drag&drop.
6. Close WinSCP & Putty.
7. Reboot the CMU with Nav+Mute+Back longpress for about 10 seconds
8. Check MZD apps menu for the list entry of Android Auto and Apple Carplay.
9. Connect Android phone (Android Auto App has to be installed) to the USB hub (old) - it does not matter which slot (top or bottom). Apple Carplay most probably will not work due to the missing OTG connection of the old USB hub, but you could test/try it as well.
10. If it works: Perfect. If it does not work, you could connect again and overwrite the "10-local.rules" file with your backup/the original file.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We all hope, that it works with FW 70 and old hub, but it might not work... we will know that after a test.

I am not a pro using putty/linux, so it might not be the perfect way to do it & I am happy to read about improvements. Thats how I changed the files:
1. Open WiFi Hotspot at Smartphone. Connect Laptop/Notebook and MZD to it. Check Smartphone HotSpot to evaluate IP of MZD.
2. Open Putty & connect with cmu/jci. Then copy/paste this code via right mouse click in active putty window (and press enter afterwards):
Code:
mount -o rw, remount /
- I think this enables you to read & write.
3. Open WinSCP and also connect to the IP of the CMU via SSH. WinSCP is a graphical interface like the windows explorer. Browse to the directory "/etc/udev/rules.d/", copy the file "10-local.rules" via drag&drop to your harddrive of the laptop/notebook which is on the left in WinSCP.
4. Windows Explorer: Make a backup of the original file and modify the file via an editor like e.g. notepad++, replace the code with the "other" code from post #1, save the file.
5. Go back to WinSCP and overwrite the "10-local.rules" file with the modified one via drag&drop.
6. Close WinSCP & Putty.
7. Reboot the CMU with Nav+Mute+Back longpress for about 10 seconds
8. Check MZD apps menu for the list entry of Android Auto and Apple Carplay.
9. Connect Android phone (Android Auto App has to be installed) to the USB hub (old) - it does not matter which slot (top or bottom). Apple Carplay most probably will not work due to the missing OTG connection of the old USB hub, but you could test/try it as well.
10. If it works: Perfect. If it does not work, you could connect again and overwrite the "10-local.rules" file with your backup/the original file.
Anyone tried this yet with the old hub?

·
Registered
46 Posts
What do you think if we use a kind of a USB sniffer (protocol analyzer) to analyze the communication between the CMU and the new HUB, at the startup of the CMU, and record the response of the new HUB to the CMU? Afterward, we can find a way to send the same response from the old HUB to the CMU to activate official Android Auto at each startup.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts