2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was admiring my Mazda3 today and I noticed that the alloys on my front tires are considerably dirtier than the alloys on my back tires. The back tires are almost spotless, metallic, and lustrous. The front tires are much dirtier...why is that?

·
Registered
633 Posts
I was admiring my Mazda3 today and I noticed that the alloys on my front tires are considerably dirtier than the alloys on my back tires. The back tires are almost spotless, metallic, and lustrous. The front tires are much dirtier...why is that?
Front brake pads make a lot of dust, pisses me off having to clean the wheels so much, but then that's the price for having decent brakes.

Pat.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The amount of brake dust on the Mazda3 is really low compared to any performance car with semi-metal pads. My previous car was a BMW Z4M and 2 days after washing the wheels would be coated again and after a week they look dark gunmetal instead of bright silver... even the rears.

·
1,091 Posts
A detailing guru over at MSF suggests DP Wheel Glaze or Poorboys Wheel Sealant.

The thread discussed trying Armor All Wheel Protectant. It seemed to work okay on my friend's Civic, but not too well on my friend's MS3. I haven't tried either product as I'm more or less used to washing my wheels along with my car.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I put ceramic brake pads on the front and have noticed a good reduction in brake dust buildup on the wheels. Really do not want my wheels to end up stained like my last MZ3.

·
Go Fast
222 Posts
A detailing guru over at MSF suggests DP Wheel Glaze or Poorboys Wheel Sealant.

The thread discussed trying Armor All Wheel Protectant. It seemed to work okay on my friend's Civic, but not too well on my friend's MS3. I haven't tried either product as I'm more or less used to washing my wheels along with my car.
You know what they say about opinions but - there's no freakin way I'd use anything Armor All on any vehicle I'd consider keeping. Long and short of it is their products don't last - they are filled with plastic polymers that do more damage over time than good and have traditionally used cheaper ingredients. My wife used to support the Marketing VP at Eagle One back in the day and the lab and field results she was privy to were pretty amazing. All it takes is a second to look at how this product is packaged and it tells you everything you need to know about the target market they are going after. The "I want a quick fix that I don't have to put much effort into crowd". Not the sort I tend to find here. Heard lots of great things about DP and most Harley folk I know with matte wheels use Poorboys and 303 Products, Inc.: 303 Aerospace Protectant for the rubber.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Know you the odd thing about my Mazda3, the front wheels are completely clean. I notice it all the time when I walk up to the car. I can go weeks without cleaning the car and still, wheels are completely clean. I drive it everyday. Not sure where all the brake dust is going.

·
Go Fast
222 Posts
Know you the odd thing about my Mazda3, the front wheels are completely clean. I notice it all the time when I walk up to the car. I can go weeks without cleaning the car and still, wheels are completely clean. I drive it everyday. Not sure where all the brake dust is going.
When you find out - package it up and get it on the Autozone shelves. There's a huge market for it lol.

·
Registered
732 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
If they really are they are a lot dirtier than the Wagner ThermoQuiet ones I replaced them with.
I dont know if they really are, but the local parts place we use through their catalogue it says

PGD1044C
Professional Grade Ceramic Brake Pad
Front ; OE Pad Material Is Ceramic ; Natural ; 1 Per Veh

·
Andrew
336 Posts
I get hardly anything on the rear, but my fronts get absolutely filthy within 3-4 days and I don't do a lot of driving, but it is short distances. I'd say they get just as, if not dirtier, than my late bmw 530i e39 wheels. I spray Mother's wheel cleaner on it, let it sit, spray it off with water, then i spray another thin layer on and take a microfiber towel to it, comes off easily.

·
Super Moderator
602 Posts
switched to HAWK HPS pads...my wheels are gunmetal now :eek:

·
zoom freakin' zoom
618 Posts
I can't wait until the wife burns up these pads....they dust about as bad as our '96 Jetta.

As for cleaning the wheels, I use Eagle One AtoZ wheel cleaner. Works great on cutting thru the brake dust and other road grime whether I wash the car weekly or over a couple of months. Only downside is you go thru the product quick.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts