2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm a first-time poster looking for a little guidance!

I have a 2011 Mazda 3 s Sport hatchback with 167 hp. I've had the car for two years now and am about to do my first upgrade: high performance all-season tires (Goodyear Eagle Sport All-Season) and lower springs (Eibach).

These changes may already be doing more than my car's horsepower and trim level can effectively use (let me know!), but I am also thinking of doing some additional modifications at the same time: Whiteline front and rear sway bars (both 27 mm) and a Whiteline front strut tower brace.

I would love some input on whether or not it is worth considering the sway and strut bars since I will only be using my car as a daily driver I'm not an overly aggressive driver on the streets and rarely push the car except for the occasional on-ramp or sweeping turn. But, I do love how sporting my Mazda is compared to other cars that I have owned. I just want to boost my car's excitement and fun even though I don't have any plans to try my hand at solo racing or going to a track. Also, please note that I living in a very snowy/icy portion of the US and would like to make the car more manageable when the white stuff slows my morning commute.

So, what is the verdict guys? Will buying the bars just be a money dump that I will never detect or notice? Would I just be making my car more of a handful with lots of undesirable rattles? Or will it make my Mazda 3 hatch even more fun? (and not just in my head!) If there is an additional, low-cost extra that I can do to help get my car to the performance I need to enjoy the mods (i.e., performance air filter), please let me know!

Oh yeah, and according to Auto Anything, it looks like the Whiteline rear sway bar is only meant for the 2011 Mazdaspeed 3. Does that really mean that it won't fit my 2011 s Sport?
Whiteline Sway Bars - FREE SHIPPING from AutoAnything

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Well the chassis bar would have been best when the car was newer for reducing metal fatigue. You probably won't get any noticeable feedback from a chassis bar but you typically don't. It's still good to have. You will notice the difference in having a stiffer front and rear sway bar though... however if your driving habit doesn't have you wanting to get rid of factory understeer, you will just be adding another maintenance item and something to consider when driving over steep inclines or having to drive off a curb or something. I don't know how interchangeable ms3 parts are with mz3.

·
Super Moderator
6,186 Posts
Welcome aboard! A RSB is a great mod for the MZ3 and easy to install. It really improves cornering. Check out James Barone Racing and Corksport, as they offer some nice RSB choices. The MS3 RSB will work on a MZ3, but the MS3 RSB hole for the end link is 12mm as opposed to 10mm on a MZ3 RSB. You can get MS3 end-links or you'll need a bushing that goes from 12mm OD to 10mm ID. For my old MZ3, I got 2 of these from McMaster Carr and just trimmed them to down 10mm in length to fit:

McMaster-Carr

1 - 3 of 3 Posts