2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my 2015 Mazda, I got an issue of white stains under side mirrors base. There is always some salt like thing going out from the base.
Any idea of how to fix it permanently.
Thank you!
Imran

·
Registered
113 Posts
I remember seeing a post about this some time back on a CX-5 forum I used to be on when I owned that model. As I recall it was either rust or corrosion from moisture being trapped under the mirror. I think maybe it was covered by Mazda under corrosion warranty. Check with a dealer.

·
Registered
113 Posts

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I'm going to look into this one....I have always had this problem but never bothered to investigate it. Don't care if there's white stains down the doors, but rust is concerning. Thank you.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Just to confirm, you' don't mean the water stains from the side mirror base do you?
I get that on our 2016 after winters..
Can't clay it off, needs to be polished by hand or machine.

I do it every other year.. haven't found any long term fixes.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Just to confirm, you' don't mean the water stains from the side mirror base do you?
I get that on our 2016 after winters..
Can't clay it off, needs to be polished by hand or machine.

I do it every other year.. haven't found any long term fixes.
I was talking about the water stains under the mirror... got fixed by dealer and not an issue on my 18 was only on my 14

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
sorry to resurrect this one, but have been thinking it over. always had the issue, didn't really care so had no idea this would have been fixed under warranty.

here's some interesting info: White Stains from Under Mirror Base – 2014-2016 Mazda3 | | Mazda

looks like they just didn't paint the aluminum mount inside the mirror so it corrodes a bit over time. makes sense, many body parts get water in them by design. exactly why doors have drains on the bottom. looks like the fix is to replace the mirrors....and i got no more warranty. don't really want to pay for new mirrors just for a white stain.

from what i'm reading this is just a cosmetic issue? trying to decide if i should take the time to pop the mirrors off and if i do how to fix it for good. i'm unable to find the specific TSB for our cars with this issue. to be honest i don't really care about the stains and i can always buff it out with some polishing compound at some point. my concern is corrosion. although i don't care much about cosmetic issues, i do want the car to last. replacing a door due to corrosion isn't something i'd enjoy. ok, wouldn't mind the work but not keen on wasting my money on that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts