2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a quiet tire, and on my gti I had Bridgestone RE760 and the Continental extreme contact. I have dedicated winter tires (x-ice) but have been reading a lot of conflicting reviews between which is quieter between grand touring all season, grand touring summer, and max performance summer. Priorities other than approx size around 215/50r17 or 225/45r17 are:
1. Quiet and comfortable
2. Dry and wet weather performance
3. Cornering performance
4. Treadlife
5. Price

I've seen mixed reviews from Bridgestone Turanza Serenty Plus, Michelin MXV4, Michelin HP, Michelin Pilot Sport 4.
Opinions?

·
Super Moderator
5,216 Posts
Noise is more dependent on tire design than tire category. The tread pattern alone can make a huge difference. You'd have to do a comparison between specific tires to see which makes what noises..

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5
224 Posts
I think your worry should not be which is the loudest or quietest. I would lean towards performance / safety.
I want to stop faster , maneuver under control, and grip. Here is my out of the box thinking for this one. Make your exhaust louder so you wont hear the tires.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
If quiet is your think, you'll want summer tires. The softer tires tend to do better for that. Also 225/50/17 should be the size you are looking at not 225/45/17. more sidewall will give you less noise in general.

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5
224 Posts
I would agree ... Im on Hankook R-S4 on 225/45/17 . I absolutely love the quality / performance / price ratio. I run mine on nitrogen and i wonder if that affect road noise. TBH... my exhaust note tends to mute road noises.
arathol would maybe know.

·
Super Moderator
5,216 Posts
I would agree ... Im on Hankook R-S4 on 225/45/17 . I absolutely love the quality / performance / price ratio. I run mine on nitrogen and i wonder if that affect road noise.
The air in your tires is already 78% nitrogen, so no, not a factor there..

TBH... my exhaust note tends to mute road noises.
arathol would maybe know.
Depends on how loud your exhaust is I would guess....
If its really quiet, then no, if it drones and is loud, then more than likely it will to some extent.

·
Registered
316 Posts
If you want quiet and smooth, YoKohima Advan Sport A/S is a good choice. I put them on my wife’s Mazda 6 and the difference from stock Dunlop is day and night. Even she, who couldn’t tell one tire was flat, noticed the difference. And it’s still the same category as stock tires, Ultra Perf AS. It’s been awhile and every time I drive her car I am still impressed. I don’t drive her car as much so I can’t tell if performance is compromised.

i think there is some rebate going on, too.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I had Michelin MXV4 and I loved them. Quiet and lasted well over 60k miles.

Switched to General GMAX AS05 and they are noisy compared to the Michelin. I went from a premium grand touring tire to a all season performance tire. The General gripping performance is amazing but after 15k miles, they got noisy as hell.

My brother had the Bridgestone turzana serenity on his 2012 civic and they weren’t has quiet as my Michelin MXV4. If
Price isn’t an issue go with Michelin.

·
Registered
22 Posts

Edit: should mention these are tires that fit the max size for my 2015 sGT (215/45/18)

Go there and search for tires by vehicle. It has all the categories and which tires are the highest rated in each, including sub-category ratings like comfort. Many of the tires have hundreds of reviews as well

I actually did research on this a few days ago because I'm looking for new summer tires, here's the main notes:
  • Pilot Sport A/S 3+ - best in Ultra High Performance All-Season category << I see this recommended quite often for Mazda 3's
  • Continental Extreme Contact DWS - 2nd best in Ultra High Performance All-Season category << see this recommended a lot as well
  • Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus - high in comfort, very high rated in Ultra High Performance All-Season category
  • Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position - top in Max Performance Summer category
  • Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 - only Ultra High Performance Summer tire available, highly rated
Notable mentions:
  • Hankook VENTUS V12 EVO2 - good ratings, possibly more affordable options in Max Performance Summer category
  • Vredestein QUATRAC 5 - best in Grand Touring All-Season category

·
Super Moderator
5,216 Posts

Go there and search for tires by vehicle. It has all the categories and which tires are the highest rated in each, including sub-category ratings like comfort. Many of the tires have hundreds of reviews as well

I actually did research on this a few days ago because I'm looking for new summer tires, here's the main notes:
  • Pilot Sport A/S 3+ - best in Ultra High Performance All-Season category << I see this recommended quite often for Mazda 3's
  • Continental Extreme Contact DWS - 2nd best in Ultra High Performance All-Season category << see this recommended a lot as well
  • Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus - high in comfort, very high rated in Ultra High Performance All-Season category
  • Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position - top in Max Performance Summer category
  • Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 - only Ultra High Performance Summer tire available, highly rated
Notable mentions:
  • Hankook VENTUS V12 EVO2 - good ratings, possibly more affordable options in Max Performance Summer category
The first 3 are all season tires, not summer tires. No point in having A/S tires when you have dedicated snow tires....
The Potenza is not a bad choice
The Indy 500 doesn't have the grip you'd expect from a good performance tire, and doesn't perform all that well in the rain.
The Ventus is middle of the pack from what I hear, OK but not real good in the wet.

My choices would be either the Michelin PS4 (expensive) or the Continental ECS (a much better cost vs performance value). Unfortunately, tire wear will not be good with any performance summer tire. Realistically, if you do enough of the aggressive sort of driving needed to actually take advantage of the benefits provided by performance tires, you might see 10 - 15K miles from any given set of tires....
You might want to look at the Yokohama ADVAN AD08R too. I hear they are real good....:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for your responses! I'm leaning towards the michelin pilot sports, not sure which version yet. It's for a commuter but every once in awhile it's nice to have that extra grip (or stopping power for that matter). I think I got 35k miles out of my re760s but that was with a stage 2 gti, running aggressive suspension and alignment. 🍻

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5
224 Posts
The first 3 are all season tires, not summer tires. No point in having A/S tires when you have dedicated snow tires....
The Potenza is not a bad choice
The Indy 500 doesn't have the grip you'd expect from a good performance tire, and doesn't perform all that well in the rain.
The Ventus is middle of the pack from what I hear, OK but not real good in the wet.

My choices would be either the Michelin PS4 (expensive) or the Continental ECS (a much better cost vs performance value). Unfortunately, tire wear will not be good with any performance summer tire. Realistically, if you do enough of the aggressive sort of driving needed to actually take advantage of the benefits provided by performance tires, you might see 10 - 15K miles from any given set of tires....
You might want to look at the Yokohama ADVAN AD08R too. I hear they are real good....:)
I was on the Ventus V12 before switching to the Hankook R-S4. I thought they were pretty good in the wet. I rode them hard and track them many times and still lasted 3 summers. Potenza are also nice . . Michelin PS4 are pricey and nice too...so are the Yokohama ADVAN AD08R ..The only thing that kept me away from the advan was price and i went with the R-S4's. What sold me on the R-S4 (besides price, and comments from others running them) was they were sticky on track (maybe not as the PS4 or Ad08R) but lasted longer. For me it was a great solution for a tire for a my daily drive and several weekends at the track. Another extreme summer brand to consider is Federal Tire Federal Tyres - UHP . I was looking at the 595RS-R (they were having huge promotion and rebate) and local supplier sold out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If quiet is your think, you'll want summer tires. The softer tires tend to do better for that. Also 225/50/17 should be the size you are looking at not 225/45/17. more sidewall will give you less noise in general.
Totally agree. If you want quiet, go with higher profile/smaller wheel. I am running 215/55R16 and the ride quality and quietness is amazing compared to running an 18" rim. Still puzzled why they put 18" low profile tires on an econobox.

·
Registered
8 Posts
im running the pilot sport 4 and although they are the best handling dry/wet tire ive driven, they are quite loud on the highway once worn in.

Granted they came off of a veloster n with a low profile of 225/40/18, im sure a 45 series tire would fare a little better.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts

Edit: should mention these are tires that fit the max size for my 2015 sGT (215/45/18)

Notable mentions:
Talk to a tire rack tech, they will tell you that the 225/45/18 fits. I use it on my car with stock wheels no problem. That opens up the goodyear exhilarate for you too which does have very good ratings.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Reviews say a little bit of noise. Only on a very bad road. Vredestein Quatrac 5 | 215/45R18
Very quiet for a all season. Love the rain and more positive than the stock. Stock have performed well (30,000).
Curb rash killed a brand new tire by pinching the tire against the rim when climbing the curb. I will ask Tire Rack if 225 willprovide more protection for the next two tires.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Noise is more dependent on tire design than tire category. The tread pattern alone can make a huge difference. You'd have to do a comparison between specific tires to see which makes what noises..
This is what OP needs to focus on. I've had some good summer tires that made less noise than economy all seasons, and vice versa. It's all in the tire tread design.

Also, the road condition makes a huge difference too. If you travel mostly on smooth paved roads, you don't have to worry too much about 'louder' tires. However, rough or badly paved roads can make some louder tires unbearable.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am looking for a quiet tire, and on my gti I had Bridgestone RE760 and the Continental extreme contact. I have dedicated winter tires (x-ice) but have been reading a lot of conflicting reviews between which is quieter between grand touring all season, grand touring summer, and max performance summer. Priorities other than approx size around 215/50r17 or 225/45r17 are:
1. Quiet and comfortable
2. Dry and wet weather performance
3. Cornering performance
4. Treadlife
5. Price

I've seen mixed reviews from Bridgestone Turanza Serenty Plus, Michelin MXV4, Michelin HP, Michelin Pilot Sport 4.
Opinions?
I like Michelin premier AS (all season) 60000 mile tire.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Reviews say a little bit of noise. Only on a very bad road. Vredestein Quatrac 5 | 215/45R18
Very quiet for a all season. Love the rain and more positive than the stock. Stock have performed well (30,000).
Curb rash killed a brand new tire by pinching the tire against the rim when climbing the curb. I will ask Tire Rack if 225 willprovide more protection for the next two tires.
Speaking as someone who went through 2 tires a year due to potholes. yes, the 225/45/18 gives you more protection.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts